This game needs a concept similar to REDSTONE. User made contraptions.

Reaction score
    By what I mean in the title is this game doesn't need something that is redstone with a different look, but a concept that is similar to it all it's own which allows the user to make their own working contraptions. If Minecraft is lego, redstone is an erector set. This game needs that concept. Starmade is currently just lego. Albeit some of those lego parts have unique functions, but they will always be a ship or factory no matter how you combine them. They will never make a working 8bit computer, or 3d printer, Or keyboard with working display, or making a contraption to auto pilot your ship or something, etc. How to go about this redstone like system IDK. Which is why I made this topic.

One person in the chat said to have electrical wiring which is basically the same thing as redstone with a different skin. Redstone after all is just electrical circuits made with a handful of different blocks. While this is good and all, it could be seen as a redstone ripoff, but that's 1 way to go with it. Maybe even using crystal type stuff to make an electrical circuit.

Using a hand full of blocks could be used but how does one make machines and contraptions with out using electrical circuits? Electrical circuits are ingrained in our society so It's hard to imagine a different system. Thoughts?

Reaction score
    Energy tubes would be the basic \"wiring\" mechanism, they would be a quarter block (so you could have them running along corners of rooms etc.
    These would be using pure enrgy/plasma to power any contraptions, rather than electricity.

One system could include faction doors.
    when built, if a faction member approaches they can open the door as normal, but if a non-faction member walks onto the designated blocks the door locks down, a blast door would close over the front.
    This could also be sued to make traps.

NOTE: lockdown doors would be anew block that can also be controlled by teh pilot.

Some blocks could be:
    - Trigger block : This would activate depending on the conditions given to it.
    - Tubing : the main power \"cables\"
    - Lockdown block : The block that must be connected to any item to lock it down (items such as pc\'s could also be locked down)
    - Power Gen. : the main block that provides the power to a given system (much like red stone torches)
    - Gates : these would switch between two positions when powered up e.g off, the connection faces left - on, the connection faces right.

Reaction score
    {Snip}

No, seriously. I\'m about to put serious effort into finding the Power Word: Real Name of the next faggot that makes a thread that states \"Starmade needs \" thread.

What Starmade needs is bugfixing and optimization. And then lots of creativity from Schema. Not retarded ideas ripped from your stupid fucking Autismcraft.

If anything, we need to be able to script in LUA with the AI. But Starmade has a long fucking way to go before that happens, which is why I\'m not even bothering to post it in the suggestions forum.

{Snip} Edit: Warned for abusive language - Donut

Hey Donut, go fuck yourself. Stop disrespecting my freedom of speech. -Trav

Reaction score
    Yeah but that\'s still making electrical circuits using energy tubes. Redstone with a new skin.

Just had an idea. Perhaps instead of electrical circuits it could use a binary type system of on and off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Die in a fucking fire, you piece of shit.

The OP is fine, you should try your own advice.

Reaction score
    Yes, this could work, because binary is circuitry ;) we could have the likes of \"cameras\" implemented for the same scenario i just put forward. When enemy is present of camera view, door = lockdown, when no enemy is present, door = unlocked. (Again, there would NEED to be some form of wiring system to connect entities though, just because minecraft does it does not mean nothing else should, this is a basic system that is used everyhwhere, so it is only sense to use this form of system xD )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Do you not understand that redstone is also binary... You are all suggesting just literally adding electricity control which is nice but currently would only do one thing: toggle doors

what else? Lighting? doesn\'t really matter imo as lights are horrible underpowered now

Reaction score
    I am sure there are many possible uses, especially as the game progresses, the door scenario is just an example :)

Reaction score
    I hope you do realise that \"redstone\" is just circuitry... it is everywhere and everyone in the modern world uses it, so saying adding a circuitry system is a minecraft ripoff is totally illogical...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    it\'s not necessary though, you can just set it up to open all doors by pressing one of them

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would like a few switches to flip from the control room to open the bay doors and release my fighters rather than leave them open all the time if I think I may want to use my Bobby units,

Reaction score
    Schema already talked about module linking and automated systems , it helps to follow his interviews before posting suggestions. So , asking for \"redstone\" is not only unoriginal , it is also redundant.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I dont think you get it.

If you have to add these in fighters, they\'ll be the size of frigates or cruisers.

think about what you post and post with some freaking common logic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What a Schemas gonna do. I sounds like it is planned already, but I\'m still curious as to what form its going to take. I don\'t want redstone, because in this game universe it makes no sense. The hulls are a meter thick, and probably have enough space for imaginary \"connections\" for all the different modules communicate with eachother.

A different system to create more advanced functions on a ship base would be similar to the minecraft control block. My idea needs a few new items to work:

1: Master Computer
    This is similar to how the core behaves now, but would provide a few individualized functions. These new blocks would act as micro-computers within the game allowing advanced players to add things like \"Inputs\" \"Functions\" and basically allow for a minor amount of programming within the game. The system would be simple enough to figure out without the aid of tutorials, but with advanced knowledge, more complex activities could be performed.

An example of the interface could be like this here:

INPUT: -------/Function 1-----------\"Activates 1\"---------End Active 1 (when)
    \\Function 2-----------\"Activates 2\"----------End Active 2 (when)

Connecting functions and activations together using a flow-chart-like interface creates the desired redstone-system virtually within a computer UI. I know nothing about programming, so I\'m sure my examples are horrible, but I think the idea comes across.

2: Sensors.
    Within the game world, these make perfect sense! They would act like wide area pressure plates and could be set to activate based on factions. This could help to create traps or trigger alarms in bases if an enemy tries to sneak in. These can be configured through their own UI and would be placeable on both ships and bases. Through the Master Computer, they could be made to activate flex doors, Undock ships, Fire weapons, etc.

3: Command Computer Terminal.
    These would act as non-programable computers that perform an action or multiple actions. The action would be set up in the master computer, and when selected in the Terminal it would perform the task. These would be great for aircraft carriers that have drone ships on them. An enemy comes along while you are away from the ships core, (or on a planet with drone defense craft), so you run to the nearest computer terminal and click the option to \"undock all\" (which was programmed in your master computer. All your strike craft simultaneously lift off and take out that mothaf****r. The option to redock all ships would then be available and the drones would perform the task.

Obviously these examples are advanced. But redstone created advanced systems in minecraft that even I understand very little of. Something as intuitive as redstone in a game like star-made would make it so much more!

Reaction score
    I think this should be implemented but not like in Minecraft where they actually take a block. I think it should be more like in terraria where circuitry can be placed anywhere, even if there is already another block. It should be that if you place a Master Computer as CorneliousCrowe called it, you can switch into circuitry view where you only see the circuitry, not the blocks.

It should also be that you can place computer blocks and then if you link blocks(like multiple Booby AIs(could also be linked to the docking modules) you can activate them all at once. The same thing could be done with different weapon computers(being able to shoot missiles without stopping to shoot antimatter cannons)

Reaction score
    These are some really great ideas. Thanks for not being one of those people who DON\'T actually read the OP. Unlike the others who see the word redstone and shit a brick, even though it\'s only used as a comparison to the concept of player made machines. Or the one that is vulgar which shows a lack of intelegence altogether.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I prefer the way Schema seems to be thinking, as Cornelious suggested logic \"circuitry\" should take the form of boxes you can hook things to. We already have to link, for example, AMCs to a wepon computer, but after that we could link that weapon computer to a pressure plate or laser tripwire or whatever and bingo! A Trap. You could hook all the lights in a room to a push button and you have a light switch. Pressure plate to a door and never have to open one again. Ect, ect.

Following on from Cornelious\' example what would be nice is the complex systems a simple logic block could provide, something more space age. How about a terminal screen linked to a computer block, which in turn is linked to a door. Terminal screen is just a keyboard entry device where you can enter a string of text and hit enter. The computer block contains the logic. In this case a simple if statement like piece of code, if the parent sends x, activate child. Then you have a passworded door with just two blocks and the door. If the terminal is a simple vertical plane that you place on a wall this whole thing will take almost not space up whatsoever.