This game needs a concept similar to REDSTONE. User made contraptions.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would love a system that would allow me to make self cycling airlocks. Push a button, door A closes, slight time delay maybe some lights toggle, door B opens. Push button again, opposite happens. This should definitely not be something you have to build block by block though, large circuits just don\'t makes sense for Starmade.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Almost everywhere I see.

\"This game needs ****** like ******** from minecraft\"

Or \"This game needs to be more like minecraft\"

If you want stuff like that, go play minecraft.

Starmade does not \"Absolutely need\" this, because there are more important things that need to be added, such as randomly generated mobs and such.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Minecraft needs to be more like Starmade. Starmade development believes in giving server operators options while Minecraft doesn\'t even let you tweak spawnrates on mobs.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    To be fair though, many of those things are available in mods. Starmade isn\'t as far along as minecraft, so it makes more sense that people should be allowed to enable/disable features they don\'t like right now.

Reaction score
    It\'s not Minecraft and should not aspire to be like it. I think people just draw comparisons because it\'s easy for them to do so. And yes, I\'m guilty of making comparisons, though IIRC I haven\'t suggested anything explicitly like Minecraft...

As for the topic at hand, redstone-style circuitry makes no sense. In the same way that the other suggestion to add computers with floppy discs and 64kb memory expansions makes no sense.

What would make sense would be some kind of control computer block that could activate/deactivate devices through use of a scripting language. But other than doors, what would this be used for? Needs more elaboration, methinks.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    With some intra-ship wireless, and access to the ship\'s flight control... Just about everything. Automated ship-based station defences, drones for internal defence, remote mining, supply deliveries, scouting, trading, repairing, custom ship interfaces employing actual bridges and lot more stuff.

Reaction score
    Automated defenses exist. Not to be mean, but turrets do their job nicely. Sure they need more options but that will come. I\'m sure with AI being able to path-find now all of this:

drones for internal defence, remote mining, supply deliveries, scouting, trading, repairing,

will most certainly be available within the next one or two months.

Reaction score
    The recent prebuild proves that Schema\'s vision of ship subsystem interactions and control will not feature any kind of wiring (that\'d be impractical and expensive , too) so the idea of porting redstone to starmade is now moot.

Aze

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    First off it is alpha, and is subject to change.

Second off, minecraft\'s redstone system wouldn\'t really fit here, a systme I would LOVE to see is one similar to say prison architect, where you add the wiring through the walls and such, with some added features such as electricity distribution, and various fuels that last various amounts of time per fuel block. And the use of these fuels and electricity could damage the wires through heat and clogging depending on the fuel.

This would give players more incentive to mine planets and asteroids in search for the metal and fuel needed to run the ship, as well as make giant powercube filled ships not as much necessary, and giant fuel storage more recomended, it could even lead to a full on economy of electricity as players sell wires and electric chargers, and fuels are mined more and more leading to the players to explore tenfold, and the creation of mining enterprises and monopolies leads to smaller business players to search more and form more coperations. Leading to extreme compitition and eventually war.

It can also lead to help pirates too, as they no longer need powercubes but fuel and electricity wires, so they group together to get a bigger profit and stage up patrols and bandit factions that attack fuel based vessals and steal the fuel for themselves.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Look guys, we got Factories instead of redstone wiring. You know, the blocks which, placed correctly, \"link\" eachother with those glowing tubes, and can get you so rich that you don\'t need anything ?

Yup.

Minecraft - Redstone

Starmade - Factory.

Factory > Redstone

More complex circuits with an actual final purpose, without needing \"wires\" and stuff that is outdated for a space era, could be something, in the future.

Reaction score
    I imagine a system in which a player selects components, each with a single purpose. You can add more blocks adjacently for more storage and systems.

Reaction score
    Redstone is one of the coolest things in minecraft. But starmade doesn\'t need it. Everything it can be used for can be done in a better way, and there isn\'t many things it can be used for in the context of this game anyway. Starmade isn\'t minecraft.