Thermite is Fun!

Reaction score
    Interesting and scary at the same time. I'm still waiting for the power to get a logarithmic curve and not a arbitrary cap.

Jasper1991

Totaly not an alt, btw join Vaygr XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    Reaction score
    I like ship to ship combat at its current slugfest form, where a ship I spent hours mining for and days/weeks designing lasts for quite a while and I have a long period of "fun" before I go back to grinding for materials to replace the ship.

Short fights dont make the ship feel like it has made its return on investment in "fun".
    Your not the only one who likes it that way. But the problem is that all it will take to win a battle is a lucky shot on an enemy reactor brick rather than skill and tactics, The amount of crap destroyed by an exploding reactor should not be as big as your examples.

Else it will come down to who can get a lucky shot with a piercing cannon :/

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    EDIT: Else it will come down to who can get shot with a piercing cannon :/
    Also use armor, so they dont need a lucky shot, but several lucky shots.
    Some people might think 30 layers of advanced is heavy, but you do what you need to do to survive once shields die. Place it where the enemy will shoot you (your front, because you should be facing them too) and it will save your life :P

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    Im super curious how this new power block works. I've screwed around a little bit in the dev build but I don't understand how this block works as a power source. As of the newest dev build I can't seem to get the chain explosions either. What am I missing?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Im super curious how this new power block works. I've screwed around a little bit in the dev build but I don't understand how this block works as a power source. As of the newest dev build I can't seem to get the chain explosions either. What am I missing?
    put it in your hotbar and click!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    The config values in the Dev build were set so very high, they were going over the cap of their coded max.

It's not going to be like this on release.

I don't know how many times I've told this in the past but all config values in Dev builds are subject to change. When schema adds these, he gives them just random values that is within or even out of its boundaries, just to check if it gets caught. Maybe he has a list of huge and tiny values and just throws darts at it to decide?

For people like me, that doesn't matter since we adjust the config anyway to check if each value works properly.

We're aiming to have reactors slowly (1-5 minutes) die on their own after getting hit, an appropriate scale would be found in some combat tests but well, half of the values don't even work properly yet and there are some other issues preventing us from doing any meaningful combat...

I could make the explosions tiny but numerous that last for a long time.
    I could make them strong and medium in radius that last for a very short amount of time.
    I could make them low damage but huge radius so that unarmored reactors can cause some serious system damage.
    I could make it so that advanced armor on the outer layer of the reactor and armored layers inside would be enough to prolong your reactor's life/usefulness just long enough to justify for the added cost, used block space and added mass.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I could make it so that advanced armor on the outer layer of the reactor and armored layers inside would be enough to prolong your reactor's life/usefulness just long enough to justify for the added cost, used block space and added mass.
    I like that option.

Reaction score
    So are these a replacement or supplement to the existing power blocks?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So are these a replacement or supplement to the existing power blocks?
    Supplement from the looks of it. Still not sure what they do or how to fully use them right now though.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    perhaps its the fix for docked reactors? havent played around with them yet
    Knowing people they'd find a way to use both together. XD To be honest I want a way to transfer energy regen down the docking chain like we do thrust right now. :)

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    It's a replacement for docked power reactors. Both shield supply and power supply will be nerfed when used on its docked entity (or any chain to it), maybe even completely disabled.

We're not planning to make a replacement for shield supply though, if they (EDIT: shields, not shield supply) need to be buffed then we'll simply adjust its config values.

Reactions: Lecic

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    perhaps its the fix for docked reactors? havent played around with them yet
    It is. Currently there's a bug that you can't use them on any ship with anything else in hotbar, so any serious testing is basically impossible.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Knowing people they'd find a way to use both together. XD To be honest I want a way to transfer energy regen down the docking chain like we do thrust right now. :)
    Using them together with docked reactors would be pointless since they have a per-group cap rather than a per-entity cap, and power/shield supply are getting nerfs while docked as well.

Also, I'd prefer if we moved AWAY from encouraging modular ships outside of RP. They cause a lot of combat lag, and will ALWAYS be laggier than non-modular ships on the simple premise of "two ships cause more lag than one ship."

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    what if we added a 'tap' (like a tree tap) or an "infuser" blockset, that when linked to the battery group and put in the hotbar, would transfer/drain the power stored there and dump it directly into the ship.

Now of course people would prefer to use weapons instead of holding down the infuser all the time, and thus logic systems to automate the dumping of power into the ship is required, just like how generators work today.
    The "infuser" could be a primary weapon much like the power supply/drain, and take the 4 weapon slave groups to customize its functions.

Now we have something that still retains some of the depth of the generator systems, mainly math to balance the outflow of power to the generation of it and logic to get the timing down.
    And, we get kupu and maybe saber to make us some sweet pump style looking blocks to go along with our pipes!

ANOTHER IDEA! You know how you can press R on power lines and attach logic stuff to it to like shut it off and turn it on again?
    Well you can configure the lines to generate their power for the main ship, or to a specific battery segment!
    Each battery segment could have the power cap of 1 mill and the main ship have the current power cap of 2 mill, or they could both be the same, or it could be completely up to the quality of blocks used, the point is the power lines don't share the power softcap when generating power for the main ship or batteries.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Also use armor, so they dont need a lucky shot, but several lucky shots.
    Some people might think 30 layers of advanced is heavy, but you do what you need to do to survive once shields die. Place it where the enemy will shoot you (your front, because you should be facing them too) and it will save your life :p
    Ahahahahahahahahaha... several shots *wipes away tear* thats a good one.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is funny. We swap undocked reactors causing lag for undocked counter-rotating shells they're encased in causing lag.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Also, I'd prefer if we moved AWAY from encouraging modular ships outside of RP. They cause a lot of combat lag, and will ALWAYS be laggier than non-modular ships on the simple premise of "two ships cause more lag than one ship."
    Then the soft cap plus all other nerfs and diminishing returns for big ships should simply be removed instead of adding exploding reactors. So building super titans would be encouraged instead of drone carriers - on the simple premise of "thousand ships cause more lag than one ship."

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would prefer static rail-dockers which merge blocks into ships over discouraging docked entities outside RP.

Static docked entities could disable their own collision check after successfully reserving collision-space with phantom-blocks on the parent-entity.