Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

Thermite vs System Brick:

hmm, need more systems next time...

Thermite vs Advanced Armor:

(brick of hull detonated in the gif sequence)

Slap these puppies in a cloaker and dock them or get them close to your opponents ship and BAM! Massacre!

(use bombs with caution)
    (please ask your doctor if thermite is right for you)
    (this is not representative of the final product)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What are these, the new reactor blocks? Lancake told me they'd have a "slow burn explosion," I'm assuming this is that in action?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    What are these, the new reactor blocks? Lancake told me they'd have a "slow burn explosion," I'm assuming this is that in action?
    yes, hitting one with a cannon round will detonate the whole magazine, as it were.
    I think they added an extra Zero or two somewhere and now we have a nice alternate to warheads which can saw through debbys cherbear which is amazing.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    yes, hitting one with a cannon round will detonate the whole magazine, as it were.
    I think they added an extra Zero or two somewhere and now we have a nice alternate to warheads which can saw through debbys cherbear which is amazing.
    Yeah, this is really in need of a nerf, honestly.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah, this is really in need of a nerf, honestly.
    Well it seems this is probably more of a test of the delayed explosion mechanics more so than what is supposed to accurately portray what the batteries are supposed to be at release.

But it is bloody awesome to watch and set off.
    I am more worried that cannons, which if they don't break blocks still have the damage carry through, will become overpowered now.

Say you have a layer of 5 advanced armor covering your batteries. A cannon round hits and breaks the first 2 blocks, but just damages the next three without breaking them. But the amount of damage remaining is still enough to break systems on the other side of the advanced armor.

Usually this was just a problem with armored rail dockers/computers, where aftermath inspections would show a line of damaged advanced armor blocks with destroyed system blocks on the other side of it.

But now? Now with a subsystem that detonates itself entirely if grazed? That is a huge chunk of system HP gone, not to mention the other internal bits it ravaged.

Would rather use a system with a single point of failure (the docker) than a system where any hit would cause a total loss of the entire thing.

One system where I could lose everything even if it was the only block damaged is better than another where I lose everything if any block is damaged.

Its cool that it explodes, but I don't see how that fits with the starmade we have been playing all this time.

Jasper1991

Totaly not an alt, btw join Vaygr XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    Reaction score
    Well it seems this is probably more of a test of the delayed explosion mechanics more so than what is supposed to accurately portray what the batteries are supposed to be at release.
    I hope that is the case, it its current form, ship to ship combat will be much shorter, it will literally be a contest of "who can kill the enemies power battery blob the quickest"

And that is not something I want

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it is less destructive if you use the group sizes you are intended to use. I hope

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Say you have a layer of 5 advanced armor covering your batteries. A cannon round hits and breaks the first 2 blocks, but just damages the next three without breaking them. But the amount of damage remaining is still enough to break systems on the other side of the advanced armor.
    Are you sure cannons actually work like that?

I think it is less destructive if you use the group sizes you are intended to use. I hope
    The side of the "charges" he's planting are tiny. If you think that's above the "intended group size," I don't know what to say to you.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!

But it is bloody awesome to watch and set off.
    I am more worried that cannons, which if they don't break blocks still have the damage carry through, will become overpowered now.

Usually this was just a problem with armored rail dockers/computers, where aftermath inspections would show a line of damaged advanced armor blocks with destroyed system blocks on the other side of it.

But now? Now with a subsystem that detonates itself entirely if grazed? That is a huge chunk of system HP gone, not to mention the other internal bits it ravaged.

Would rather use a system with a single point of failure (the docker) than a system where any hit would cause a total loss of the entire thing.

One system where I could lose everything even if it was the only block damaged is better than another where I lose everything if any block is damaged.

Its cool that it explodes, but I don't see how that fits with the starmade we have been playing all this time.
    You can probably mitigate the risk by using spaced armor. If these things are going to be this volatile when released, people will protect them with multiple systems. Interior hull blocks, making the core battery armored, as well as RP spaces strategically placed around the core, should lessen the risk and damage.

Maybe Schine will also have some sort of battery shielding/containment system?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I hope that is the case, it its current form, ship to ship combat will be much shorter, it will literally be a contest of "who can kill the enemies power battery blob the quickest"
    I like ship to ship combat at its current slugfest form, where a ship I spent hours mining for and days/weeks designing lasts for quite a while and I have a long period of "fun" before I go back to grinding for materials to replace the ship.

Short fights dont make the ship feel like it has made its return on investment in "fun".
    [doublepost=1472929475,1472929396][/doublepost]
    it was a 10x10x10 cube?

also the damage is very high because lancake told me schema wanted to test the delayed explosion mechanics or something.
    [doublepost=1472929566][/doublepost]
    Are you sure cannons actually work like that?
    I have lost dockers before with no entry wound, but on closer inspection there is a line of damaged advanced armors leading to it. I will double check now and post pictures
    [doublepost=1472930601][/doublepost]

yup did a small scale test and tada!

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Explosive effect.

It exploded when it hit the last block and did AoE damage to the squishy block on the other side.
    this is why I shouldn't use prebuilt weapons to test things... :v
    Thanks for fact-checking me!

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Wait, is this a thing from a Dev build, or am I really missing something? And is it called Thermite in-game (IRL, it's not Thermite until the iron and aluminium is set on fire, IIRC)?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Wait, is this a thing from a Dev build, or am I really missing something? And is it called Thermite in-game (IRL, it's not Thermite until the iron and aluminium is set on fire, IIRC)?
    It's the replacement for docked reactors. It explose.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    So your saying my insanely high penetration meta-guns can blow the crap out of any large armor tank with a few well placed shots?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Oh yes lets sneeze in the wrong direction. Wonder what'd happen if you put it on a torpedo and slammed it into a target?