The ultimate drone R&D thread

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So finally finished my folding drone. It folds up into a cube and has a docker at all 8 corners :)
    check it out and tell me what you think
    download it from community content here
    I believe that it's ridiculously awesome

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    OK, so I'm one step closer to full fledged drone deployment and retrieval. I've figured out a way to reset turrets remotely via a wireless block. This means that I should be able to reset the turrets on my drones so they can fold up, and then be retrieved. Muhahaha....

I feel like an evil genius:cool:

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    OK, so I'm one step closer to full fledged drone deployment and retrieval. I've figured out a way to reset turrets remotely via a wireless block. This means that I should be able to reset the turrets on my drones so they can fold up, and then be retrieved. Muhahaha....

I feel like an evil genius:cool:
    You undock and redock the turret? Is this 100% reliable?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You undock and redock the turret? Is this 100% reliable?
    well, I wouldn't do it while your moving. and its meant to be done after combat is over. So under those conditions... I'd think it's pretty reliable.

The turret remains undocked for approx 5 seconds. so keep that in mind.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    what
    well, I wouldn't do it while your moving. and its meant to be done after combat is over. So under those conditions... I'd think it's pretty reliable.

The turret remains undocked for approx 5 seconds. so keep that in mind.
    about the turet barel this only resets the base

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A AI barrel will automatically reset itself without any help. It's the just the base that needs the resetting.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    A AI barrel will automatically reset itself without any help. It's the just the base that needs the resetting.
    The base is supposed to reset too. It's just that it's STILL F***** BUGGED

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I *love* fold-out drones. Yours folds much more than mine does. FANTASTIC job.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So finally finished my folding drone. It folds up into a cube and has a docker at all 8 corners :)
    check it out and tell me what you think
    download it from community content here
    It is a good video, but your moving-over with the camera is a bit annoying.

I worry about the rail-blocks being the drone's weak spot. Your video shows the right section being lost with the rest rather intact at some point.
    Although this might be negligible when NOT fighting against missiles and if you have enough drones that some will be more lucky than these who lose parts.

The drone-size is big enough to hold 2-4 crew members and can as-well be used as fighter/interceptor (interceptor when it has FTL, fighter when not).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It is a good video, but your moving-over with the camera is a bit annoying.

I worry about the rail-blocks being the drone's weak spot. Your video shows the right section being lost with the rest rather intact at some point.
    Although this might be negligible when NOT fighting against missiles and if you have enough drones that some will be more lucky than these who lose parts.

The drone-size is big enough to hold 2-4 crew members and can as-well be used as fighter/interceptor (interceptor when it has FTL, fighter when not).
    Yea, missiles might seriously screw it up. But then again, it has a lot of armor, especially since the areas between the parts are armored, so that should significantly reduce the effectiveness of less powerful missiles (like those fired from other drones).

Reaction score

Working on a new carrier, going to have a look and see if any of the enemy detection logic systems can start the launch sequence and go full automated with it.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hopefully something to get you guys excited:
    I'm working on a concept for a drone factory that will automatically create drones -> load them into racks -> load racks into carriers.
    So far I've gotten the construction and robotic arms that will pull them out of the shipyards finished.
    I'll post screen caps when It's prettier to look at

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hopefully something to get you guys excited:
    I'm working on a concept for a drone factory that will automatically create drones -> load them into racks -> load racks into carriers.
    So far I've gotten the construction and robotic arms that will pull them out of the shipyards finished.
    I'll post screen caps when It's prettier to look at
    Can logic undock things from shipyards? I never tested it, but I don't think it can... Awesome idea though, it's something I've been wanting to do as well (not as complex though)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Can logic undock things from shipyards? I never tested it, but I don't think it can... Awesome idea though, it's something I've been wanting to do as well (not as complex though)
    Yes it can, I think "well kind of" if you send a logic pulse to the docker itself, then that will cause the docker to change orientation, and thus undock. Somebody should try it. I don't have time to try it now. If nobody's tried it I'll try it when I get back.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That's one of the things I need to find out. xD

Yes it can, I think "well kind of" if you send a logic pulse to the docker itself, then that will cause the docker to change orientation, and thus undock. Somebody should try it. I don't have time to try it now. If nobody's tried it I'll try it when I get back.
    Interesting thought but I'm not sure that would work. Since the ship core attaches to the ship yard not a rail docker. Correct me If I'm wrong. Perhaps we should make a suggestion to le devs that ships should be able to be undocked from shipyards with logic. My current solution is more along the lines of have an access tunnel and hit undock on all the shipyards by that takes to much work. I would need a minion to do it for me.

However even if it does need to be undocked by a player it will still take a lot of work out of reloading drones.