The ultimate drone R&D thread

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wha... what is that?
    Just some random drones I'm testing a universal docking adaptor (to hook them onto universal docking ports) and chain docking/activation with.
    I really like chain activation now, so much less trouble than drone launchers and other shenanigans.

Reactions: nightrune

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Just some random drones I'm testing a universal docking adaptor (to hook them onto universal docking ports) and chain docking/activation with.
    I really like chain activation now, so much less trouble than drone launchers and other shenanigans.
    Shouldn't the chained undocking be done with the extremity drone first? :P

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Shouldn't the chained undocking be done with the extremity drone first? :p
    I considered reverse-chain activation, but that requires a way to activate the last drone on the chain (propagation is about the same either way) :)
    Basic design principle behind this was just to literally slap it onto a simple rail dock and undock it to activate them.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I considered reverse-chain activation, but that requires a way to activate the last drone on the chain (propagation is about the same either way) :)
    Basic design principle behind this was just to literally slap it onto a simple rail dock and undock it to activate them.
    Waaait, do rail dockers send out a logic signal when they're docked onto something?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450900061,1450899758][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, someone here has peobably tested this already; Is it possible to simply use a shipyard repair mode to replenish drones?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Waaait, do rail dockers send out a logic signal when they're docked onto something?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450900061,1450899758][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, someone here has peobably tested this already; Is it possible to simply use a shipyard repair mode to replenish drones?
    Suddenly I am reminded of those people in fps games who stop to reload because their lmg has 299/300 bullets. Only instead it the Charon in a shipyard and everyone is screaming as the server dies.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yeap, and yeap. Although repair mode should be used with caution, huge ships will lag out immensely. <_< it rebuilds your entire ship drones and all. Much easier to use the racks alone.

Also while not strictly drone tech this new mechanism i've crafted will let us move cargo pods, drones and racks from ship to ship with relative ease. =)

Pods start on the ship, it docks and releases them.

The rail collectors run underneath and trigger the dockers, causing the pods to switch entities.

When done in reverse the pods will be back on the ship!

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could use a shipyard, personally I avoid anything to do with them currently though.
    Rail dockers emit a high on dock, low on undock.

Reaction score
    hey I had a thought (haven't read the whole thread yet) what about a rotating rack? so it would rotate as it spits out drones?
    so:
    ---------------
    DDDDDDD-(spin point)
    ---------------

then
    DDDDDDD-
    ---------------(spin point)
    DDDDDDD-

Also you could have it release drones, retract the rack and slide it up into holding, while loading another rack, like bullets in a magazine

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As cool as a rotating rack would be (rotating torus carriers are my favorite type of space carrier) its kinda unfeasible in starmade right now due to lack of momentum inheritance on undocking.

The magazine idea however works like a charm, and is one of the reasons I put together a undocking activation system for my drones.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As cool as a rotating rack would be (rotating torus carriers are my favorite type of space carrier) its kinda unfeasible in starmade right now due to lack of momentum inheritance on undocking.

The magazine idea however works like a charm, and is one of the reasons I put together a undocking activation system for my drones.
    You could always use push pulses...

Reaction score

Also has anyone tested flare drones?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Suddenly I am reminded of those people in fps games who stop to reload because their lmg has 299/300 bullets.
    This actually stems from the tactical reload. Anyone that has to deal with getting shot at has it drilled into their head that the second you disengage, you top off. That one shot tends to be the difference between life and death.

Of course in video games, these kids don't know that, they just know "OMG NUMBERS ARE SMALL" :P

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    maverson unfortunately, neither my outdated drone technology nor the skoomdrone technology is still valid at this point. However, you can look forward to massive technological advancements once AI fleet control has been implemented - keptick and the rest of us are sure to come up with some efficient solutions that won't lack the visual oomph! :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2

& maverson

i have several working racks which are based off rotation. Some are clip designs, others use it to reveal the drones, and one very large lag inducing server killer is also available.

Unfeasibile is another word for quitter. R&Dealers make it happen, feasibility be damned! :P

Thalanor, I don't know about "visual oomph" but we'll definitely make something that is insane, and is probably a good server crashing experience. At the very least I expect smoke to rise up from my cpu whilst cackling as a madman after said update.

All the while shouting, It's aliivvveeeeeeee.... or something along those lines.. :)