The ultimate drone R&D thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    so uh, as a random stupid idea...
    How about sector pipe bombing via jumping pulse mines? (or swarm missile pods?)
    The swarm missile pods would be cool but... they'd definitely end up killing each other... a lot. <_< although not such a terrible idea if it was one really big pod that jumped on top of a pirate base. That could be FUN. :D

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The swarm missile pods would be cool but... they'd definitely end up killing each other... a lot. <_< although not such a terrible idea if it was one really big pod that jumped on top of a pirate base. That could be FUN. :D
    As long as the dakka is delivered ;)

Reaction score
    Poof~ disabled drones. hmm... may need to add some mines to the counter drone cruiser I'm developing. TO THE LAB! *faint batman theme can be heard in the distance*
    No thrust and amazing chaff. Ain't got to worry about those swarm missles, throw in a few anti-missile mines as well. That would just be mean. Now I need to do this.... I gotta throw together everything now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No thrust and amazing chaff. Ain't got to worry about those swarm missles, throw in a few anti-missile mines as well. That would just be mean. Now I need to do this.... I gotta throw together everything now.
    AMS mines wouldn't work, they need an AI in order to target the missiles, mines are generally more passive weapons systems. As soon as an AI gets added the enemy will target them and obliterate them from thousands of meters away. Sad, cause having passive ams would be too cool for school Starmade.

Reaction score
    AMS mines wouldn't work, they need an AI in order to target the missiles, mines are generally more passive weapons systems. As soon as an AI gets added the enemy will target them and obliterate them from thousands of meters away. Sad, cause having passive ams would be too cool for school Starmade.
    They would have bobbies, and as soon as I can turn the bobbies on with logic this will become a thing.

Reactions: Loadout
    Reaction score
    Logic bobbies would be too cool. We need these, but this is why they'll never happen...
    I want a GIR! Who wouldn't?

Just launch hundreds at them, one of them has to find the Self Destruct button... eventually.

Second note, if you build a drone with a workable interior put an area trigger around the door to blow the drone.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol I could just see someone getting into one of my drones that players can fly as well only to have it explode in their face. XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I want a GIR! Who wouldn't?

Just launch hundreds at them, one of them has to find the Self Destruct button... eventually.

Second note, if you build a drone with a workable interior put an area trigger around the door to blow the drone.
    I could actually see myself building a smallish fighter/bomber with a tiny walkable interior. Once the quarters and duty stations are setup I'd use these for disposable npcs with names like Hort Wankelberry, or Major Asprane

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    MrFURB gave me an idea with his Pringles Drones - Coin Drones!

I'm working on a 'Drone Cruiser' specifically built around pretty much being nothing but a bridge, power plant, shields, warp drive...and one massive rail. On each rail is a 5x5 drone:

-- Th PR MT --
    CB FM PR CB CB
    DM SC PR CC CB
    CB BB PR CB CB
    -- Th PR MT --

Where...

Th - Thruster
    PR - Power Reactor
    CC - Cannon Computer
    CB - Cannon Barrel
    SC - Ship Core
    DM - Docking Module
    FM - Faction Module
    BB - Bobby AI

These could be easily adapted to be Skoomers or whatever. All I need to do is figure out a way to armor them. I want to keep them 5x5x1 so that I can stack a lot of them, but I may have to make them 5x5x3, with the armor sandwiching the drone., and some of the forward weapon barrels replaced with armor to give them a bit more longevity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    MrFURB gave me an idea with his Pringles Drones - Coin Drones!

I'm working on a 'Drone Cruiser' specifically built around pretty much being nothing but a bridge, power plant, shields, warp drive...and one massive rail. On each rail is a 5x5 drone:

-- Th PR MT --
    CB FM PR CB CB
    DM SC PR CC CB
    CB BB PR CB CB
    -- Th PR MT --

Where...

Th - Thruster
    PR - Power Reactor
    CC - Cannon Computer
    CB - Cannon Barrel
    SC - Ship Core
    DM - Docking Module
    FM - Faction Module
    BB - Bobby AI

These could be easily adapted to be Skoomers or whatever. All I need to do is figure out a way to armor them. I want to keep them 5x5x1 so that I can stack a lot of them, but I may have to make them 5x5x3, with the armor sandwiching the drone., and some of the forward weapon barrels replaced with armor to give them a bit more longevity.
    with black armor on top and bottom we shall dub these... Oreos. With a creamy middle surrounded by crunchy armor plating.

Let it be so #1!

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    with black armor on top and bottom we shall dub these... Oreos. With a creamy middle surrounded by crunchy armor plating.

Let it be so #1!
    That's way the heck better than 'coin drones'. As soon as I get home the Esthar Fleet Systems Oreo Drone shall become a thing...

Reactions: Loadout
    Reaction score
    That's way the heck better than 'coin drones'. As soon as I get home the Esthar Fleet Systems Oreo Drone shall become a thing...
    Can I have an Oreo?

Side note: will finally be able to really build since I finally got a new mouse!

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Can I have an Oreo?

Side note: will finally be able to really build since I finally got a new mouse!
    Yeah, I'll upload my blueprint when I'm done with it. I also want to upload one of my new designs, the EFS Janeway Scout. It's based on Star Trek, because I'm a nerd (I was at least a bit original and based it on the Nova-, not the Intrepid-class.) I have another variant, slightly heavier, scout ship that I could upload, but I'm holding it back in reserve for the time being, because I'm not sure it's ready for the prime time. For one thing, I haven't tested all the turrets. I know for a fact it can floor a Janeway scout if its shots connect, though.

Reaction score
    Yeah, I'll upload my blueprint when I'm done with it. I also want to upload one of my new designs, the EFS Janeway Scout. It's based on Star Trek, because I'm a nerd (I was at least a bit original and based it on the Nova-, not the Intrepid-class.) I have another variant, slightly heavier, scout ship that I could upload, but I'm holding it back in reserve for the time being, because I'm not sure it's ready for the prime time. For one thing, I haven't tested all the turrets. I know for a fact it can floor a Janeway scout if its shots connect, though.
    That sounds a lot like my redesigned Maya-Class Heavy Assault Cruiser. It's gotten it's hull laid down but I'm reluctant to release even any pics just yet because of some Rail Magic I'm trying to fit in. The spot light is only so good. Besides I think I'm going to try and release it along side the Kongo-Class VC Maya which is going to have two internal drone bays and something special as a part of both the drone set up and my very own Panzer System. Hopefully with the new mouse I'll be able to get it done.

On a side note, I've been contemplating something like flat drones as they can be dumped easily through an opened rail hatch that will act as a shield against fire from the bow of the ship. Something like the coin drone but more utility then anything else. Working on a logic circuit that will detect an enemy and provide me with something like a line of sight signal to help me pin-point enemy location. Stuck on the line of sight circuit.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So having experimented with the new transporters and activation gates, I habe come to the following conclusions;
    1. Transporters can teleport drones. Huge let down, but I suppose it'd be too much to ask for a small astronaut sized drone to board other ships.
    2. Activation loops dont trigger in docked entites. Makes sense, but eliminates a few oddball ideas I had for drone racks.
    3. Activation loops DO trigger on virtually everything else that moves about. These can be expected to replace some of my older rack release mechanisms and alot of my wireless logic. with gates I can plan for precisely where and when to release based on location instead of a guess and check timer. This means alot of my oldest rack designs based on area triggers will see some new life sometime soon.

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So having experimented with the new transporters and activation gates, I habe come to the following conclusions;
    1. Transporters can teleport drones. Huge let down, but I suppose it'd be too much to ask for a small astronaut sized drone to board other ships.
    2. Activation loops dont trigger in docked entites. Makes sense, but eliminates a few oddball ideas I had for drone racks.
    3. Activation loops DO trigger on virtually everything else that moves about. These can be expected to replace some of my older rack release mechanisms and alot of my wireless logic. with gates I can plan for precisely where and when to release based on location instead of a guess and check timer. This means alot of my oldest rack designs based on area triggers will see some new life sometime soon.
    In bold: my troll senses are tingling.

What you do is you create a Damage Pulse drone - make sure it's a very compact design, probably 2..3 x 2..3 - and warp that to someone's teleporter room. Not only will it slowly erode their shields from within, anyone who tries to use the transporter will get killed by it, unless they use their laser pistol on it!

Muahahaahahahahahaahhahahateeheheeehehahahahahaaahah!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    In bold: my troll senses are tingling.

What you do is you create a Damage Pulse drone - make sure it's a very compact design, probably 2..3 x 2..3 - and warp that to someone's teleporter room. Not only will it slowly erode their shields from within, anyone who tries to use the transporter will get killed by it, unless they use their laser pistol on it!

Muahahaahahahahahaahhahahateeheheeehehahahahahaaahah!
    Has issues, pretty much the moment the ship you teleport into moves, the drone will lag into the hull and then be teleported outside the ship's hitbox. Buuuut nice thinking