The ultimate drone R&D thread

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Each high signal provided to a jump computer tells it to charge for 1 tick.
    33 ticks per second.

So charge speed is 33*45/high signals per second.

When it is charged any high signal will try to activate the jump drive.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    The funny thing is if you have enough jump drives by the time you should have run out of jumps the other ones are fully charged again. :P Takes around 20+ drives and/or a super fast clock to do it though.

Reaction score
    Now we just need ability to have a shipyard on a ship, ability to trigger building + undocking of something in shipyard by logic and warp gates on a ship entity instead of a station and we can have a Stargate Universe Seeder Ship! Even if it means manually linking the gates afterwards it would be amazing hehe. Probably very unlikely to be made possible in the game though :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    warp gates on a ship... we can sort of pull that off right now when i think about it.

actually, shipyards too...

mind you what I'm thinking isn't an actual ship but an overly built asteroid that gets towed along. not exactly fast but my earliest tests have shown some promise on the shipyard aspect, adding a warp gate would be fairly easy, if not unpredictable.

I'll have to go develop that some more now. :)

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    All these random little things and a update being close are making me want to buy a new battle station and go on holiday.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    BEHOLD, the mighty pringles drone!
    ...Ok, well, a test version. I forgot who, but some awesome guy made a pancake drone and I had to get a bit of that action.

I'm aiming for a no-hassle low profile drone that outdrones other drones by being more numerous and droney. Easy to field, inexpensive, and best of all...

Seamlessly forms into pringles cans! They've still got a long way to go until their first field test as I'm messing with different weapon combinations and launch mechanisms.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    BEHOLD, the mighty pringles drone!
    ...Ok, well, a test version. I forgot who, but some awesome guy made a pancake drone and I had to get a bit of that action.

I'm aiming for a no-hassle low profile drone that outdrones other drones by being more numerous and droney. Easy to field, inexpensive, and best of all...

Seamlessly forms into pringles cans! They've still got a long way to go until their first field test as I'm messing with different weapon combinations and launch mechanisms.
    Can't say it's pretty but it's definitely the most efficient storage-wise I've seen so far!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok, there is way too much info here and I haven't seen what I was looking for yet. Is there any way to get a drone to use a radar jammer, or to make the jammer function with logic? I want to make deployable mines with warheads and don't want the ship core to show up, cause that would defeat the purpose. I tried a cloaker too, couldn't get it to work either, but that's just diabolical anyways.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Ok, there is way too much info here and I haven't seen what I was looking for yet. Is there any way to get a drone to use a radar jammer, or to make the jammer function with logic? I want to make deployable mines with warheads and don't want the ship core to show up, cause that would defeat the purpose. I tried a cloaker too, couldn't get it to work either, but that's just diabolical anyways.
    Don't think logic can interact with a jammer...

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) not...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thanks guys, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. So much for mines not being insta-visible.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Thanks guys, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. So much for mines not being insta-visible.
    If you make them docked entities they are less likely to be spotted on the nav though.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If you make them docked entities they are less likely to be spotted on the nav though.
    Yea, but they'd have to be docked to something, and that would be visible :/. Unless... is it possible to dock things to asteroids? Build blocks don't work iirc, but placing down a rail manually and docking to it might!

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Yea, but they'd have to be docked to something, and that would be visible :/. Unless... is it possible to dock things to asteroids? Build blocks don't work iirc, but placing down a rail manually and docking to it might!
    Well the point is they would see the docking ship but not the mines

Reaction score
    I'm working on a mine dumper now, once I get the mines working like they need to it'll be a finished piece that I can drop as an external dock to dump upwards of 50 3x3x3 or around 35 5x5x5 using damage pulse/damage pulse for the 3x3x3 add in a mixed ion effect and power drain effect for the 5x5x5.... kinda useless but I like the idea of them. The basic idea is to push one off using the next one and a logic signal to undock it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm working on a mine dumper now, once I get the mines working like they need to it'll be a finished piece that I can drop as an external dock to dump upwards of 50 3x3x3 or around 35 5x5x5 using damage pulse/damage pulse for the 3x3x3 add in a mixed ion effect and power drain effect for the 5x5x5.... kinda useless but I like the idea of them. The basic idea is to push one off using the next one and a logic signal to undock it.
    If it works the way I think it will, then it's a great plan to drop the rack. Otherwise all those mini-collisions will tilt the main ship and force it off course.

In my experience, forget about the power drain, a stronger Ion would be more useful. Stop effect would also make anyone's day an utter disaster. Paralyzed AI is like a moth to the flame. :D

In any event though it sounds like a great weapon to throw forwards at the enemy or leave off to the Right side of you so they run into it whilst circle dancing. It'd probably also be a great idea Not to add AI to those <_< if they get shot up they'd be useless.

When considering the idea of drones vs mines, i think the mines have a slight edge honestly... For starters the mines are relatively un-target-able by the drones, so as the cloud of drones enters the cloud of mines...

Poof~ disabled drones. hmm... may need to add some mines to the counter drone cruiser I'm developing. TO THE LAB! *faint batman theme can be heard in the distance*

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    so uh, as a random stupid idea...
    How about sector pipe bombing via jumping pulse mines? (or swarm missile pods?)