The ultimate drone R&D thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I tried to become a 'purchaser' but apparently Schine's payserver is outside of the continental US. Gotta find another option.
    It's on Steam, and Valve is an American company and therefore takes the US-only cards. It's how I paid for StarMade.

Good luck on your PC build, Keptick.

Reaction score
    well, I had 50 bucks on my card, inputted everything correctly, and it said 'card declined'...
    I bought pizza with the same card two hours later so I know it wasn't a card problem, and steam has accepted purchases on the same card before. What else could it be?

ah well, I will just use the paypal account but it takes a while for paypal to process transactions.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Can someone link me a working drone launcher for the current build? None of my designs seem to work and I need to find out why.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, but remember that you will give up a LOT of potential by doing so - rails-based drone tech is superior in every regard. Most implementations can be updated without too much hassle, though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Can someone link me a working drone launcher for the current build? None of my designs seem to work and I need to find out why.
    I'll package up a simple drone launcher for you and have it up here in a few minutes. For the most part launchers are fairly simple mechanics that require less as opposed to more. I find whenever one of them does Not work, it's usually because something is too complicated or something is just in the way.

Edit: AtraUnam follow this Dropbox link for a simple launcher demo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b9whayzwkpcvoz/Demo Launcher.sment?dl=0

It'll show you the basics of launching from a rail, as well as how to hook everything up in a relatively easy way.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I feel kind of cruel for my new launcher design. Its too small right now for my drones, and most drones in general, but I am currently building another, larger one. Its only exposed part is the small door to launch from. Its rack is fully inside the ship. Each rack is fully functioning launching single drones at a time, and with a push of a button, turns to reload drones. Currently, the racks hold 10 drones apiece and 8 will be on my WIP carrier. I will update when I get home as I am on mobile right now

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    My soul drones already have fairly boxy dimensions (even if they don't look boxy). So upgrading my launcher wasn't very hard, since it couldn't get much more space efficient without causing collision problems on launch :P

AI activation states save on blueprints btw, so make sure to activate all the AIs before saving a rack since the structure tab activation is broken.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Just thought I'd share my newest launcher. This particular prototype is being setup as part of a larger turret. So I will have my turret aim at the enemy and then I can launch my drones directly into their face. That or it'll be mounted along the back of my ship... which is less cool but probably more effective.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Made a video documenting some of my rail experiments. some of them could help drones survive longer
    Spam the like button.
    A question and a suggestion tho...
    How did you accomplish multi giroscopic turrets, i mean where is their turning point?
    And a suggestion, a ship with rotating plates that have shields on them and one giroscopic turret.
    Basicly, redicing the strain on the motherships shields while being able to dish out damage....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I know that previously air would only fire at the target they specifically want to shoot at the moment. Has that changed in the latest dev builds? Will the autocannons shoot at any enemy you point them at or do you have to guess which of a dozen targets was the one they want to shoot right now?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Spam the like button.
    A question and a suggestion tho...
    How did you accomplish multi giroscopic turrets, i mean where is their turning point?
    And a suggestion, a ship with rotating plates that have shields on them and one giroscopic turret.
    Basicly, redicing the strain on the motherships shields while being able to dish out damage....
    thank you. for multi gyroscopic turrets you must build the horizontal pivots on top of each other they can be above or below the previous one. keep in mind that only the horizontal pivot needs to be docked to the mothership. The vertical pivots however must be built along the same x axis or else there will be problems with rotation. in a sense theres going to be a lot of dislocated turret docks. I'll make a picture if that explanation is a bit confusing

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can see it my mind now, millions of servers screaming out, and then silence.

That's a lagfest if there ever was one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I can see it my mind now, millions of servers screaming out, and then silence.

That's a lagfest if there ever was one.
    It's not terribly bad actually, there's a brief hiccup and then everything flies out quickly and settles down. Just try not to be in a large fire fight when using one of these. ;)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Player: I'm engaging the enemy!
    Lag Master: Prepare the drones
    Player: Aww Starmade why I haz 1 FPS
    *30 seconds later*
    Player: OOHHH GOD THERE ARE TOO MANY!!!
    Server: Player has died! Cause of death LagMasterDrone20234856
    LagMaster: YESS!!! YESS!!!!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It gets even worse with my drones. All have auto push clock meaning they won't stop moving without a means to do so. To make things even worse each drone is really 5 drones combine into one. So they launch than when needed split into several and now that 5000 drones that were deployed have now multiplied by 5 and are always on the move without an off switch. XD Even in their combine form they can target 5 targets at once rather than just one at a time. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Not many new things being posted here lately so I think i'll share my latest launcher.

It's a rotating drone rack with 120 drones on 4 panels. It's also modular and has the option of trading a few drones for 48 missile launchers! =)
    This...
    This is amazing.
    I guess drone carriers could work quite well based on this.