The ultimate drone R&D thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hey I'm fairly new to drones, but my designs were pretty much inspired/copied from this post. My idea for the drone 'rack' is not a rack at all, but a storage place inside the mother ship. CyberTao gave me a design that stores ten and launches from a single undocking point. I'm hoping to expand this tenfold. It comes with toggled-auto reload by docking new drones at the undocking point. With eight of these unloading drones at max speed, a massive amount can be stored/transported/ launched efficiently, or so I hope. My carrier will be started after some tests with the launching system and after my current build. Any help or hints are welcome.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    ugh, that makes drones almost useless to me. I mean, unless you are just so stupidly rich you can throw them away. I remember schema working on this over a year and a half ago.

I tried to become a 'purchaser' but apparently Schine's payserver is outside of the continental US. Gotta find another option. Maybe if enough people become buyers, he can afford to pay a Decent AI guy to take some of the load off his shoulders... or finish the modding api to the point where we can actually help set it up :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    ugh, that makes drones almost useless to me. I mean, unless you are just so stupidly rich you can throw them away. I remember schema working on this over a year and a half ago.

I tried to become a 'purchaser' but apparently Schine's payserver is outside of the continental US. Gotta find another option. Maybe if enough people become buyers, he can afford to pay a Decent AI guy to take some of the load off his shoulders... or finish the modding api to the point where we can actually help set it up :)
    Depending on how you design them most drones are fairly cheap. Only the weapon/effect computers are honestly expensive. The rest is cheap enough to be mass produced in spades. If you're really concerned with expenses then switch to cheaper materials, like metal mesh/grey hull instead of armor.

To be honest though Drone mass production is more of a late game thing, where you have enough harvesting power to easily gather enough materials in minutes instead of hours/days. If you're not at the point of having a massive world eater or Asteroid Farmer, you're probably not economically ready for drones yet.

Reaction score
    yeah, restarted after a year, and I realized that money wasn't EASY anymore.

previously you just find a starbase, descompose it, build giant blocks and schematic them for armor/hull as needed, and build a titan in about three hours.

Now, I have been spending a WEEK getting all the materials just to make a halfway decent 65 meter destroyer for fighting isanths at the border. Everything I know about weapons, turrets, drones, and mining lasers is defunct, all my blueprints are outdated and useless, the minerals (and methodology of using them) is entirely different, and there is actually a REASON to build a big space station now (Power and factory enhancers)

I don't even really 'get' what a good ship is anymore. point defense turrets? what are those (ow dangit! I just respawned? What's a pirate station alpha?) for? how big should they be? why do my big cannons shoot so SLOWLY now, and why is my heavily armored ship dying instantly? what is this 'linking' thing? since when are missiles the only good weapon in the game? How did pirates get so HARD? Rails? what on earth are those?

I am slowly learning the answers to most of those questions, but things like drones and the 'new style' turrets, and weapons values, are still a bit nebulous... I have no idea if putting a gigantic missile launcher is better than a dozen smaller 'tubes', whether I should waste the space and money installing 'swarmers', 'laser guided' or just default missiles, or all three, or even how many cannon (linked cannons?) spaces I should use on a point defense turret to have a decent chance of killing missiles/isanths, or what.

I am beginning to wish I was completely ignorant and had never played before, because all my old knowledge is just tripping me up.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    yeah, restarted after a year, and I realized that money wasn't EASY anymore.

previously you just find a starbase, descompose it, build giant blocks and schematic them for armor/hull as needed, and build a titan in about three hours.

Now, I have been spending a WEEK getting all the materials just to make a halfway decent 65 meter destroyer for fighting isanths at the border. Everything I know about weapons, turrets, drones, and mining lasers is defunct, all my blueprints are outdated and useless, the minerals (and methodology of using them) is entirely different, and there is actually a REASON to build a big space station now (Power and factory enhancers)

I don't even really 'get' what a good ship is anymore. point defense turrets? what are those (ow dangit! I just respawned? What's a pirate station alpha?) for? how big should they be? why do my big cannons shoot so SLOWLY now, and why is my heavily armored ship dying instantly? what is this 'linking' thing? since when are missiles the only good weapon in the game? How did pirates get so HARD? Rails? what on earth are those?

I am slowly learning the answers to most of those questions, but things like drones and the 'new style' turrets, and weapons values, are still a bit nebulous... I have no idea if putting a gigantic missile launcher is better than a dozen smaller 'tubes', whether I should waste the space and money installing 'swarmers', 'laser guided' or just default missiles, or all three, or even how many cannon (linked cannons?) spaces I should use on a point defense turret to have a decent chance of killing missiles/isanths, or what.

I am beginning to wish I was completely ignorant and had never played before, because all my old knowledge is just tripping me up.
    Every weapon now has the same dps (damage per second) output per block (5 dps per block), they just deliver it differently and over different time intervals. So for example, default missiles will deliver 15 seconds worth of damage instantly with a 15 second reload. Cannons will deliver 1 second of damage every second (1 shot per second). You can also change the behavior of weapons by giving them slaves (go in the weapons menu and drop a weapon into an other weapon's slave slot to create a new system). So for example cannon/cannon with 1:1 master/slave block ratio will have a fire rate of 10 shots per second. The overall dps of the weapon will still be constant with the 5dps per block rule.

Multiple outputs don't increase damage, or reduce it. However, in order to compensate for the increased block destruction potential (12 missiles will destroy more blocks than 1, even if the total damage is the same), each additional output will inrease the power consumption of the weapon by 10% (based on the power cost of a single output, so it's not exponential).

Drones are just a fun way to kill the enemy, I wouldn't bother with them until mastering the base mechanics if I were you. Hope that I was clear. I strongly suggest that you do the different feature specific tutorials. Just press the esc key and press the tutorial option on the menu.

Either way, welcome back!

Reaction score
    Either way, welcome back!
    Thanks man, I am glad to be back. The update is... stunning, both visually and functionally.
    The game passed out of my last computer's ability to handle, but I just got a nice new area 51. Just to play starmade :) Now I gotta find a decent server in middle america without too many titans on it :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Thanks man, I am glad to be back. The update is... stunning, both visually and functionally.
    The game passed out of my last computer's ability to handle, but I just got a nice new area 51. Just to play starmade :) Now I gotta find a decent server in middle america without too many titans on it :)
    Shattered skies, without fault. The average ship size is around 10k mass (100k blocks) and there's no bricks. Just don't get on right now since some apparently internet famous (well, for starmade) guy was streaming, and there was 75 people on the server earlier. I was still getting decent ping, surprisingly enough.

Reaction score
    heh, no, I am casual. play for two hours a day. My wife is playing witcher 3 on the machine right now. but tomorrow I will look into it.

Is that where you are hosting your ship? I would love to see it 'in action', even if all you are doing is blowing up a crappy pirate base.

Do you have a vid?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    heh, no, I am casual. play for two hours a day. My wife is playing witcher 3 on the machine right now. but tomorrow I will look into it.

Is that where you are hosting your ship? I would love to see it 'in action', even if all you are doing is blowing up a crappy pirate base.

Do you have a vid?
    I do not, unfortunately. However, I will be building a new computer sometime next week and am definitely planning on making a video, which is impossible with the 4 y/o laptop I'm currently using, lol.

And the ship systems aren't finished (like.... at all). However, weapons work, and I'll gladly make a vid of it decimating a station, or 10. With drones too >:-D

Reaction score
    Ooh, I look forward to it, especially since, based on your other posts, you have a... uniquely creative launching system.

I love a good space battle. My other area 51 should be arriving next week too, so I might have more playtime. At least on the weekends. Just saved up the money for 2 years and finally splurged (no dell financing...financing sucks). I am just hoping drone swarms don't crash my new system. I would love a good vid (and I imagine most others would love it too).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ooh, I look forward to it, especially since, based on your other posts, you have a... uniquely creative launching system.

I love a good space battle. My other area 51 should be arriving next week too, so I might have more playtime. At least on the weekends. Just saved up the money for 2 years and finally splurged (no dell financing...financing sucks). I am just hoping drone swarms don't crash my new system. I would love a good vid (and I imagine most others would love it too).
    I already do 200 VS 200 drone battles for the lolz on my laptop, your system will be fine. The Area 51 is probably the only alienware I'd consider buying since it seems to have a very good price for the hardware it's packing (unlike the overpriced laptops).

Reaction score
    Actually, the x51 R2 has darned good hardware for the price too (half that of the area 51), and it can run crysis 3 at max graphics (albeit at about 40 fps). the 760 card is behind the curve ball, but both the i7 and the video card run cool as an icebox...no area 51 water cooling required (and no pump noises) It is pretty much identical to the Asus RoG G20 (which is about the same price of 1300$) I seriously considered it, but wanted a longer potential upgrade lifespan.

Dunno about the laptops though, I haven't bought a gaming laptop for almost a decade, ever since the XPS fiasco. (One you probably don't know about since it was internal to Dell employees... but I will never ever touch an XPS again)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Actually, the x51 R2 has darned good hardware for the price too (half that of the area 51), and it can run crysis 3 at max graphics (albeit at about 40 fps). the 760 card is behind the curve ball, but both the i7 and the video card run cool as an icebox...no area 51 water cooling required (and no pump noises) It is pretty much identical to the Asus RoG G20 (which is about the same price of 1300$) I seriously considered it, but wanted a longer potential upgrade lifespan.

Dunno about the laptops though, I haven't bought a gaming laptop for almost a decade, ever since the XPS fiasco. (One you probably don't know about since it was internal to Dell employees... but I will never ever touch an XPS again)
    lol, I have an XPS15z. The cooling on it is terrible (well, it also got filled with water and I suspect that some thermal paste got messed up). Apart from the not so optimal internal cooling management, it's still pretty good for a 4 years old laptop.

I'm still going to build a monstrous custom desktop, though. I'm craving good performance right now, since the laptop just isn't up to par for demanding tasks anymore.

Reaction score
    heh, custom-building your system doesn't seem much of a moneysaver anymore, unless you are building a pretty low-end system, and then you are still usually better just buying something off the shelf and adding a decent video card.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    heh, custom-building your system doesn't seem much of a moneysaver anymore, unless you are building a pretty low-end system, and then you are still usually better just buying something off the shelf and adding a decent video card.
    Oh I know, but I know exactly what's in there. And I couldn't buy the kind of system I'm making from a company anyways.

Besides, money is saved when it's time to upgrade, where one can salvage a good amount of parts instead of buying everything new. I'm mostly doing this for fun tbh, this is my first system build, and I want to make it awesome. I'm pretty much just waiting for the GTX980ti to come out in 3 days.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Can I suggest 1 change?

Go with this case instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133192

If you are gonna play starmade, you should LOOK like you're playing starmade :)

(I really wanted that case but the wife vetoed it on account of it being too ugly for the computer room)

also, the i7 runs pretty cool. Is the liquid cooler really neccessary? Even with overclocking I haven't been able to warm mine up with just standard air cooling.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Can I suggest 1 change?

Go with this case instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133192

If you are gonna play starmade, you should LOOK like you're playing starmade :)

(I really wanted that case but the wife vetoed it on account of it being too ugly for the computer room)

also, the i7 runs pretty cool. Is the liquid cooler really neccessary? Even with overclocking I haven't been able to warm mine up with just standard air cooling.
    I really really like the full windowed side panel of the corsair 760t, that's why I'm going with it.

I could probably go with air cooling but I'm really going all out on this thing, been saving up a while