The turret thread

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE POST BPs OF YOUR TURRETS!?!? WHY!?!?

Also, those are all pretty cool designs. I suck at turrets. Not bad at larger designs, but terrible with smaller ones.

Reaction score
    WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE POST BPs OF YOUR TURRETS!?!? WHY!?!?
    While I agree with you general sentiment, I think some of it is they're using these turrets in various "wars" going on in their servers, and so they want to keep the BP itself a secret.
    (allso, this isn't explicitly a "share the BP" type thread)

I've yet to see a good, iron-clad justification for that (beyond the very simple "I'd have put it on the dock if I wanted all you peons using my own weapons against me"
    ), but that's the first thing that jumps to mind.

Someone once said "but then they could reverse engineer it, and that'd make it useless". Hah.
    I've never even heard of "we captured a turret, let's re-build our whole fleet to nullify it!".
    I have, however, both seen and participated in "they're totally smashing all our ships! Let's glob on MOAR SHIELD REGEN, and *insert defence module here*.
    All based on the very simple fact that the game itself tells you what just fucked over the ship you were flying.
    (EX: I get held in place by a Stop-equipped beamer, I can damn well tell it's doing that. Likewise getting hosed by Punch or Pierce, or even Explosive)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It might not be the longest, but do you have balls like mine?

starmade-gif-0000.gif

Made this a while ago. The turret can freely rotate 360° in all directions, the actual firing arc is a little less than 180°. The individual parts of the outer ring move asynchronously due to GIF recording, and the GIF is too fast, it looks better in-game.

starmade-screenshot-0001.jpg

Switched all lights on manually for demonstration purposes. The green lights indicate that the outer ring is closed, there's one light for each entity. The six yellow lights next to the green ones show that the ring is opening or closing. When the ring is fully opened, the red lights are on. The two yellow lights in the middle indicate movement of the eye lids. While an opening or closing sequence is running, no further input is accepted.

The circuit sequentially opens the ring, opens or closes the lids and closes the ring again. How that works is explained in detail in my logic thread.