The Rail show off thread!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think I have all the hard parts taken care of. This may have been better built in even symmetry mode though. Would need thrust sharing across entities to fly decently. Docked thrust sharing would also make building a FAST pack for it even more worth it.
    She's a little slow eh?

Oh yeah, and forget about the canopy blast shield, this is a model of the toy where it is a snap-on part lost forever to the ages along with the booster/tail fin pack :( dammit tod.
    you can easily fix this.
    place the new speed block, connect it to the rotor thing (speed to rotor) then conect logic activators to the speed block (activator to speed)
    now if 1 activator is on, it won't go fast. but with 9 activators on it will go fast. expirement a bit with that for the right speed but there is a set max speed idk what it is. i hope this helps you out

say hello to the Seraphim.
    is that the movement it makes when you shoot??
    is it like a recoil??? i don't think it is, but dude try adding that! (lighten up moment means ready to fire, then ya shoot and boom)
    like this:

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Bwahahaha. My blase "seen it" reaction shattered the moment all the lights came on, and I grinned like a child.

Bravo sir.
    That's Madame Refi to you, sir
    and no it's a laser cannon. no recoil.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    recoil relative to the amount of mass that the turret is held in place by, negligible.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Inside an atmosphere (large) lasers have considerable recoil due to the pressure wave that tends to be generated when you superheat the air directly in front/inside your barrel.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Light emitting devices do indeed have a recoil since light has a momentum > 0, otherwise light mills wouldn't work.
    Inside an atmosphere (large) lasers have considerable recoil due to the pressure wave that tends to be generated when you superheat the air directly in front/inside your barrel.
    lol i just like how these guys pop-up like some virtual teacher.
    i like that you support me with the idea, only i have to ask this...... how the hell did you know light mills exist.... :3

recoil relative to the amount of mass that the turret is held in place by, negligible.
    have you tried boosting the speed?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431539578,1431539434][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Want to dig perfectly rectangular holes in your planet fortress, but too stingy to use build mode and give up the delicious ore? You need a rail-guided, ceiling mounted laser drill.

get it deployable, upgraded and more compact then i'd like to use it. :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    but this is a space-only laser. for the front line offensive carrier.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    lol i just like how these guys pop-up like some virtual teacher.
    i like that you support me with the idea, only i have to ask this...... how the hell did you know light mills exist.... :3
    I've seen them myself and paid attention in physics lessons.

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    but this is a space-only laser. for the front line offensive carrier.
    anyways a recoil would look ugly with the current beam system.
    i mean common its like you give a 10ft x 10ft x 10ft box as present, and inside it is a tiny lil doggy

once beams can be bigger in size, then i would consider a recoil to be nice :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Go watch the turbo laser towers on the DEATH STAR then come tell me our energy weapons don't need recoil!

Reaction score
    Go watch the turbo laser towers on the DEATH STAR then come tell me our energy weapons don't need recoil!
    I went and watched the turbo lasers on the death star. I then concluded that THEIR energy weapons need recoil.

Our energy weapons however remain sad and pathetic and totally unworthy of recoil here in Starmade ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    In space, this cannon doesn't have recoil in appreciable amounts, since the inertia of the entire ship is braced against it. Photons have much less momentum as projectiles than mass projectiles. and all that energy is rather inefficient as much of it leaks as heat and undirected light.

anyways new multi-rail turret almost done.
    [/IMG]

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    ok had to ditch the elevator :( but I have now redesigned it a little, anyone work out a "ship size" detector yet?

Reaction score
    In space, this cannon doesn't have recoil in appreciable amounts, since the inertia of the entire ship is braced against it. Photons have much less momentum as projectiles than mass projectiles. and all that energy is rather inefficient as much of it leaks as heat and undirected light.

I wouldn't worry much about realism. People who want realism should go play KSP. I tried the demo and remembered why I hate realistic spaceflight, because it's not about flying by the seat of your pants, it's about a lot of careful planning and "math stuff". It isn't "fun".

Bottom line is people who design turrets with recoil who think it looks good on their turret, should do it, and I am sure there are turrets that would be badass with a recoil effect. Your particular turret would go from being something very slick and stylish to something overloaded with special effects that detract from each other.

Anyway, this keeps getting better and better looking.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

[/IMG]
    I wouldn't worry much about realism. People who want realism should go play KSP. I tried the demo and remembered why I hate realistic spaceflight, because it's not about flying by the seat of your pants, it's about a lot of careful planning and "math stuff". It isn't "fun".

Bottom line is people who design turrets with recoil who think it looks good on their turret, should do it, and I am sure there are turrets that would be badass with a recoil effect. Your particular turret would go from being something very slick and stylish to something overloaded with special effects that detract from each other.

Anyway, this keeps getting better and better looking.
    i agree with krougal,
    it's not about what is realistic, it's about what looks pretty/awesome/great or your turret/ship/station

and also, just to think about it, if that is a turret yo'll add more of those on your ship.
    think of a shot gliding by those BadBoys while in action, what would you like more?
    huge movement and a beam or only a beam?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    well the thing has to deploy from its sheath before I enter combat, and the thing fires a massive overdriven damage beam... there's no need in my opinion for there to be recoil in a laser where bracing to cancel recoil completely is pretty easy as compared to momentum based weapons.