The Quickfire Initiative: Rebalancing StarMade.

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Do you really believe this, or just lie to win an argument? This is the exact opposite of the truth, and a really cheap way of trying to make a point.

The game already let me build however big I wanted before the quickfire config artificially created your warped version of "reality".
    The FACT is, nothing in the material universe says big things can't go fast. Drive them with sufficient force and they can.
    A big heavy sports bike accelerates better and reaches a higher top speed than a tiny scooter.
    A meteor flies magnitudes faster than a pebble you threw.

Some elements of the SM community got this weird idea in their heads, that big things can't fly well, and apparently they won't rest until they manage to thoroughly mess up the game with it. This is not realistic, nor does it make the game any better.

Why do they want this, though?
    Because they are evil: It's harder to troll big ships because they die slower. Of course lowlifes will want to twist out an advantage however they can.
    Same's true for this apparent hatred of scanners: Of course they want to make it more difficult to get max level scanning, how else would they grief unsuspecting players? They can't win a fight if they get spotted....

More to come when I have the stomach for it.
    This kind of obstinate misinformedness is getting really tiresome.
    In old vanilla, big ships did not die much slower. In fact, systems were so broken and unbalanced you could evaporate ANYTHING within mere seconds that didn't use the low damage chamber. The low damage chamber made ships near immortal to anything but very strong beam missile sticks. That was a horrendously balanced meta and everyone hated it. The notion that old configs were in any way or form "fair and balanced" is complete bullshit. And I don't know how you are designing your systems, but max level scanning is very easy to get in QF. And if you don't like getting "griefed" then maybe dont play on a PvP server?

You are trying to suggest that StarMade should be realistic, when it is anything but realistic. Look at space battles in Star Wars. You have these big slow battleships firing into eachother while smaller craft fly around and bomb. They are all at relatively close range from eachother space wise. Sci-Fi space battles are based off of 2D conventional naval combat rather than what space combat actually would look like. This is not realistic. Yet QF tried to reconfigure the systems to be more like Star Wars, in order to make the game fun. Whether they fully succeeded in this is another matter (personally I think it still needs a lot more work), but trying to imply that they are maliciously trying to ruin the game for others is a load of completely toxic bullshit that only serves to fan the flames.

A lot of people are complaining about QF now, but when the team was asking for people to help test and give feedback very few actually said anything or gave feedback. That would have been the best time to help the team, but now that the configs are implemented it's a lot harder to make big changes without having to redo a lot of other stuff.

Quickfire = fast and "unbureaucratic" changes...

there is nothing to discuss here...

#waveshand
    Stop baiting. If you don't have anything constructive, useful, or informative to say then leave this thread.

Reaction score
    There are, in fact, a multitude of reasons (real-life and in-game) for a ship to be wide. These reasons include necessary systems such as power (nuclear reactors are not exactly small), fuel, ammo, and crew supply storage, crew habitation, weapon systems, communications, redundant systems, almost anything that makes a ship functional will necessitate a departure from the two-dimensional plane. For example, look at the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit bomber. The ideal stealth shape is an infinite flat plane, and that is how the design began. Once fuel, engines, weapon bays, and crew spaces were added, the design expanded.

Building wider also reduces the maximum torque on the ship (Torque=force times distance) by allowing for a mass distribution closer to the center of mass. The reduced axial dimensions also improve handling characteristics (crucial for a combat ship) and efficiency of logistics (refueling, docking, etc.).
    Thing is most of those don't exist in Starmade. And you can build existing systems in any shape or form you desire.

Reaction score
    The FACT is, nothing in the material universe says big things can't go fast. Drive them with sufficient force and they can.
    Realism does not mean balanced. Reality is NOT balanced. But a game HAS to be balanced to be FUN.

To sum quickly your point :
    Small ships have to be faster than bigger ship. Because there's no reasons to use them otherwise. It takes away the fun of using smaller ships vs bigger ones in combat. It takes away the fun of engineering(or building if you prefer) in starmade as building bigger is just the scaled up version of a smaller ship.
    That is also why we're so hard on thrusters. Because there needs to be disparity in ships classes.
    Since this game is about building ships and eventually fighting with it, if both sides of the game are NOT fun because there's no disparity in ship's classes and size then what's the point ? I get it. You want your big ships to be fast and furious. But this won't happen for the sake of the game and all other players that don't build big ships for whatever reasons.

I can agree what we did is far from perfect. I would very much love to have a separate formula for acceleration and tmr so we can have a harsh acceleration on thrusts curve but a slower one on max speed. But that's not the case today and we work with what we have.

Reactions: Alphajim
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Thing is most of those don't exist in Starmade. And you can build existing systems in any shape or form you desire.
    I understand that, but a fair bit of your post to which I responded dealt with real-life comparisons. Even in-game, you'll find that a long but thin ship is difficult to maneuver, and a planar ship reduces the cross-section in two axes but presents a huge cross-section on the third. Nothing, whether it be in real life or in a game, is perfect, and engineering is a series of compromises. I think that this nature is executed fairly well by Quickfire, and it does encourage unorthodox solutions that may have been limited by earlier versions.

Reactions: DrTarDIS