The Orion Drive

This a great idea or not?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    If you've never heard of the concept of a space faring method of travel called the Orion Drive, allow me to give you the basics. You drop a nuke out the back end of your ship and ride the shock wave till you get to a fraction of the speed of light.

My question is:

How feasible is that currently in Starmade currently? I would like to build a fairly large ship propelled by such a drive. What are some of the limiting factors in this concept? Pros, Cons, etc. I was thinking I could throw a damage pulse module on the back end of my ship with 100% push.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I made a "traction engine" using push modules so I don't see why not.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    using push-pulse on a docked entity, and then again with over-supported push effect on one, I've managed to break server speed-cap on more than a few occasions.... so short answer is "used to be yes"

Reaction score
    Well, I think they'd have to be undocked somehow, so if you just made a series of disposable push-pulse drones, you could do it, but it'd be vastly underpowered compared to conventional methods. Not to mention expensive (All those lost drones...)

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Such a system used to exist by making a docked push-pulse unit behind the mothership. They don't work anymore.
    Weaponised Push is not efficient, nor effective compared to thrust or Jump-drive. It also has horrible hitscan, and can't go above non-overdrive speeds.

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Push pulse main is now obselete, it does nothing.
    Weaponised Push is how I refer to weapons with Push effect.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This gives me a crazy idea: home made space lane stations. each station uses a pull effect to pull you into a jump gate. the jump gate spits you out into a new spot, where another station pulls you into another jump gate, until you hit your destination.

I don't know how feasible this is. After i am done building my titian, then modular planet ship, i will work on my jump gate death ship, where it positions the jump gate facing a star, then pulls a smaller ship into it.....

anyway, i digress.

Perhaps we need an "advanced thruster", one that can be linked to support modules to give different effects. Push pulse would make them ore efficient, stop would bypass mass, and overdrive would be 4 times server speed.

then again, having atom bombs in this game would be neat. I would soooo totally not abuse those. I would only use them for their intended space traveling purposes....

Reactions: foodoman
    Reaction score
    If you have a massive ship, drop an entity out of the rear (or throw it in front, might actually work better) with a massive forward-firing logic-activated array of push pulse (or pull pulse) effect to move it faster. Single-use from behind, if you do it right in front you might be able to simply trap it there and bounce it along. Sucks to be the server but it might just work.

Reaction score
    No, take an entity, eject it out the front, get pulled, then capture it with pickup rails, and eject it again. Infinite use, nothing but docking/undocking lag.

Reaction score
    No, take an entity, eject it out the front, get pulled, then capture it with pickup rails, and eject it again. Infinite use, nothing but docking/undocking lag.
    That's not a bad idea. No idea how well it would work however... LOL