The future of blueprints

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    So what's the future of blueprints? They seem pretty out of place right now but they are the only way to spawn in stations. Are blueprints going to go away at some point? That was my assumption.

Reaction score
    You still need them for shipyards, and they blueprint catalog is a very handy admin tool, so I don't think they should go away. A more in depth way to construct stations from blueprints would be interesting though (construction shups etc).

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I also actually prefer blueprints to shipyards when it comes to spawning in ships.

Early in the game, its nicer to have a blueprint to store materials in as you work your way up to spawning a big ship in on a new server. Later in the game, its nice to store some filled blueprints for immediate spawning of backup craft. Kinda like having a battleship in my pocket, or at least a fast charging jumper to get out of dodge.

Reaction score
    I also actually prefer blueprints to shipyards when it comes to spawning in ships.

Early in the game, its nicer to have a blueprint to store materials in as you work your way up to spawning a big ship in on a new server. Later in the game, its nice to store some filled blueprints for immediate spawning of backup craft. Kinda like having a battleship in my pocket, or at least a fast charging jumper to get out of dodge.
    I think BPs should just turn into designs of some sort. All the admin tools are really nice, but they sometimes get sorta OP. That battleship in your pocket? It's blocks might weigh 20,000 mass, but the blueprint still weighs 0.1(I think) you can instantly spawn ships out of nowhere in the middle of a fight in a little cpt(core power thruster) anytime you want.

I don't know how you would do stations, maybe something From The Depths style(with astrotech placing blocks to the design).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, I think they, blueprints, will still be needed to share ships and other constructs between people, but I presume they will become an Administrator only thing in the future. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah there is often confusion when talking about blueprints. Blueprints as saving, uploading and downloading ships will likely always be a part of the game. The fact that I get to keep everything I build is the main appeal of this game over say, Minecraft. I would like to see the spawning aspects of blueprints become purely an option for creative servers and the survival aspect of the game rely entirely on shipyards and competitive construction method using astrotech beams and construction ships for getting larger ships and stations or simple repairs.

Reaction score
    I think BPs should just turn into designs of some sort. All the admin tools are really nice, but they sometimes get sorta OP. That battleship in your pocket? It's blocks might weigh 20,000 mass, but the blueprint still weighs 0.1(I think) you can instantly spawn ships out of nowhere in the middle of a fight in a little cpt(core power thruster) anytime you want.

I don't know how you would do stations, maybe something From The Depths style(with astrotech placing blocks to the design).
    =
    Yeah there is often confusion when talking about blueprints. Blueprints as saving, uploading and downloading ships will likely always be a part of the game. The fact that I get to keep everything I build is the main appeal of this game over say, Minecraft. I would like to see the spawning aspects of blueprints become purely an option for creative servers and the survival aspect of the game rely entirely on shipyards and competitive construction method using astrotech beams and construction ships for getting larger ships and stations or simple repairs.
    I like that idea.
    Make BP spawning a config option.
    Let shipyards convert BPs to designs.
    Allow insering designs into core for automatic repair.
    Make Astrotech placing blocks system.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    =

I like that idea.
    Make BP spawning a config option.
    Let shipyards convert BPs to designs.
    Allow insering designs into core for automatic repair.
    Make Astrotech placing blocks system.
    This is roughly what I would like to have, as well as a way to do it with stations.

Reaction score
    Reaction score
    Astrotech used to place blocks from storage, and combined with these,

[1]Read by Council - Station Module (a type of shipyard/core)

[2]Recognized - Station Upgrades

Would be so awesome. Particularlly if you could change the blueprint and using astrotech it both removed/changed blocks also.
    1. After looking through that one, it seems like the station would autogenerate blocks. I like that(and love the station core and command stuff) but I also would like if the repair thing would turn it on for astrotech AI and astrotech beams to place blocks in that shape on the structure.
    2. Sorta similar, making stages in construction is something key to nice looking ship contruction.

The idea I had for Astroplacement would be(no quote cause edit copying is faster, and I edited it for ease of resding and irrevelant info):

After a while I found to work with a lot of ideas I had astrotech computers would need to be revised. My idea is that astrotech computers could be hooked up to a storage with blocks. It would use the input design in the ship core{/Station core}(I have heard much talk of this, it would be basically the shipyard design and putting it in the core [leave it to :schema:to find out how]) to replace blocks on the ship. It would have a punch-through beam effect that would heal all blocks in a line(and maybe an area effect too). However, when it placed blocks it would place then with one hitpoint, and AI would replace all blocks in an area(decided by the design stage) before starting to heal them. This would mean if you got hit by a missile you could call in support drones to heal you, but risk getting hit with another weapon that could be very weak that would destroy all of your newly placed blocks. It would also look really cool, like a scab or something glowing red as repair drones healed it.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The reason I like giving astrotech computers the ablility to place blocks, is so in the long run I can take a blueprint and tell the AI to go build it in a location. So you could build out large sections of your empire in the background kinda like an RTS but on a much longer time scale.

EDIT: Grammars!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    Aha! I thought this whole time you were talking more about BPing to personally repair and spawn and create ships. But AI doing that is much different(although still connected).

If you want AI spawning a core(station/ship) with a design in it, then repairing or "building" it up to the full ship, I think you'ed need some new functions:
    Some version of a shipyard on a ship that undocks the ship once it's core is spawned. A single block spawner of sorts.
    The ability for AI to(for true expansionizm) loot and salvage sorounding areas to build new ships.
    The ability for AI to activate the spawning of a new ship.

Has someone been playing reassembly hm?

Reactions: nightrune