The Dreaded F Word, FUEL

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Note: A lot of the ideas here are inspired and based off this thread from Valiant70
    A Manifesto on Fuel, Balancing, and Various Play Styles

I suggest reading Valiant70's thread before continuing since I will not be going over any reasons why we need fuel but how I believe it should be implemented.

MAIN IDEAS

Stars Create Fuel: The simplest way to put it is solar panels that crystallize energy (don't science me to death for that). The closer they are to a star the more they create (an exponential decay would probably work best for this). There could also be different tiers of solar panels each with varying levels of efficiency.

A Secondary Way To Gather Fuel: For whatever mystical reason you want there should be small quantities of fuel within asteroids around stars (the distance from the stars affect how much fuel could be in a asteroid in the same way as the "solar panels", the closer the larger the amount and the further away the lower the amount) this would allow people who have just started in the server to gather the fuel they need for a starter ship/station but is a unsustainable way to gather fuel for larger ships and stations.

Different Stars Do Different Things: I'm sure you've seen that there are a bunch of different stars in Starmade, simply put only a few types of stars make fuel Clarification: all stars make fuel but most stars don't make enough and collecting from them would only yield a tiny amount of fuel while collecting around a certain type of star would yield much more fuel, these stars would add a reason as to why factions would want to start wars with other factions since there are only so many in a galaxy.

Fuel Harvesting Stations: (I've talked about how i think stations should only be able to fill one kind of role in a different thread) These "solar panels" should only be able to placed on specific stations, when creating a station you would be prompted with a drop down with a selection of roles the station could have and only the Fuel harvesting stations could have the "solar panels" placed on them and could not have other things like factories placed on them.

Fuel Transfer Between Ships: First off fuel should have its own specific storage blocks and ship cores should be able to store a small amount of fuel by themselves, and since docking is somewhat a pain to do with multiple ships when ships are withing the sector that a fuel stations or a station that has fuel and you own it or your faction permits you to take fuel from said station you should be able to open a menu and "tell" the station to transfer X amount of fuel to X ship. Fleets should be handled differently, fleets should have a pooled amount of fuel that is shared between all ships in the fleet this would play nicely into the idea of mother ships holding large amounts of small fighters/bombers. There should also be a system to transfer fuel between stations somewhat like how the current trade system works but you can transfer fuel between your own stations without cost and do so automatically like if stations X has less than 25% fuel send fuel to stations X until it has 100%.

SIDE IDEAS

"Aliens": Around each fuel rich star there could be a race of aliens that don't want to share their yummy fuel. they would only attack if you got too close to the star so you could still harvest fuel from farther away at a reduced rate until you evict them, by force.

Different Types Of Fuel: I've seen a few people talk about how there should be a different fuel for FTL if fuel is added, but i don't agree because i see this becoming more of a nuisance than adding to the game.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    No fuel for thrusters, used only for jumpdrive. That way warpgates might be worth it

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree on the OP almost completely (only a few clarifications).
    Fuel should be optional.
    If it is not optional, you should have some free energy of 5% of what your thrusters or power-generators would use/produce.
    Fuel should be primarily for combat or more-comfortable travelling.

Who pays for solar-panels? I use plants! :D
    Then I trade exotic plants and exiting log-files to bored traders and populated habitats to get fuel.

Or feed my crew to harness mystical/spiritual divinity-power which I use to feed my mystic-sun which produces energy for my ship.
    I hope you can catch the reference to IdlingToRuleTheGods, a game on steam which got a lot of new content recently.

You don't need to call it god-power (you can call it uranium, thorium or anything you like - but with spiritual power it makes more sense that you get it for just waiting with crew around)

The reason I chose crew was because it is likely to be limited (5 a player or sector)
    This god-power could be a way to balance factions depending on how many game-goals they archive.
    Living in peace
    Having a happy crew
    Winning battle contests
    Occupying a fuel-star

Outlaws could be short on spiritual power because they focus on surviving rather than religion and hunt it.
    Some aliens like Borg-Hives or other Robot-Aliens could be unable to produce spiritual power and feed on those who can.

The planets you say produce a lot of power, they could be in systems with Spiritual or Imperium civilisations because one produces and one hunts these locations.