Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    MAJOR EDIT: Thread title edit.

SECOND ..THIRD MAJOR EDIT: People who have been good to me are treasured in my heart for their interest in my practical and much superior armor-clad vessels. Blocky is the new cool for me. All other arguments are invalid to me. Period. it is up to no discussion anymore because I'm tired of having to explain myself over and over and over again about this... ENOUGH!

FOURTH EDIT: Slight tidy-up randomness.

To be more specific. I already have a good grasp of it but it's just with big ships I end up burning myself out as I get a really bad case of OCD when I'm building something and can't get rest for a minute in my mind until the whole thing is finished with loads of pre-planning where the systems, rooms, corridors, doors and airlocks will be.

Now I have built many ships since my Tur-X1 that outperform it by lightyears but when I finish something I still find it could have so much more, that and whenever I want to post a picture of a ship of mine the Imgur site is a real pain to deal with due to slow load times and servers being over-capacity and because of that I give up trying due to being already burned out. Then there's that anxiety and social anxiety getting in the way of things coupled with a few other of my mental disorders.

Would really help my sanity to have custom blocks with custom block behaviors so I can build MUCH smaller ships but I also like the idea of having my own huge ship with corridors and access to all of the systems and modules. I do have about 3 huge vessels but they all are lackluster in terms of interior and I don't mean I can't do interiors, it's just that by the time I'm "finished" with the ship overall look and performance and important rooms and corridors and airlocks I'm just too darn burned out to continue with the rest when I find out that, like for example with my first massive vessel which was one puny beam gun that I had already welded with interior. *facepalm* Next huge ship is the one that I managed to post a screenshot of in the engine forum, the one with Warhammer 40k vibe to it, instead of corridors that one has gravity walkways to important areas (cargo rooms, bridge, airlocks) but that's about it, it's about 1.5/4 hollow and gravity stops working when I venture too far to the front or too far to the right.

Which brings me to my latest massive ship I built and found it excelling in destructive power: My missile battle barge and once again: corridors and pathways to important areas but this time more decorated open space with nothing in it except the frontal and top weaponry mayhem with pod like structures in the middle all plated with blue hull blocks of all shapes and yet, as usual I'm not happy with it either.

My main goal with ships is for them to be both 100% functional in every possible way with shield strength and recharge off the wazoo, 50 percent of overdrive (used to be a 100 before the update), good jump drive, good jump inhibitor, 100% stop effect and at least over 2100 of power generation.. especially if it's a missile barge (I need to shoot fast with the main missile blaster) and not look boring but still practical. Setting up the systems is easy but vast interiors with multiple floors and areas to go, nope. as far as interiors are concerned I seem to prefer open spaces just like you see in the derelict ship from the movie 'Alien'. So I guess if that sort of thing makes me feel like at home I should focus on making those bland open spaces in my ship more appealing with more focus on walkways and a few corridors and rooms to places I prefer having access to (weapons, shield capacitors, shield rechargers, jump inhibitors, etc).

But yeah, as I've said at the start if this quite a long post (sorry), I keep burning myself out due to my OCD. Any of you who build huge ships and have had a similar problem I do appreciate some info of how to deal with building huge ships. It'll probably be a long while until that custom blocks with custom functions will be a thing and I do need a proper huge omni-purpose ship worthy of sharing in the downloads section.

Alright so, that out of the way. The ship I'm planning to make will be heavily inspired by the derelict ship from 'Alien' in terms of interior, the exterior will be something blocky but rounded on the sides like an oval shape (or something else that pops to mind) with ridges and all sorts of veins running on the hull of the ship (if ya ask me, perfect place to hide extra modules). Good thing with my OCD is I'm adamant enough to try new building techniques everytime I start a new project. *takes a deep breath* Longest post I've ever posted in a forum in a long while, I do apologize but.. just so much that I needed to get off my chest. I'll just stop here for now. *floats into a monolithic black ship that nobody noticed before and flies away*

ShadowOfDoom.png
    (Just realized I don't need to use Imgur here it seems, *double facepalm*)

"Fyr-Gor" An unknown alien vessel in my own lore and a precursor to the construction of a much larger ship which is "Durgoth":

Main Screenshot of my "Fyr-Gor":

"Durgoth" Also an unknown alien vessel in my own lore and the prime example of what I prefer to fly around in.

Main Screenshot of my latest "Durgoth":

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Screw it. Game's burned me out with it's alpha state and too worn out to build something new so I polished this from the outside and I guess when I feel like it I will carve some more interior into it (shield capacitors and shield rechargers, you're dead to me) since I play in singleplayer with invincibility toggled on my ships.

So here's the ship I consider a win, a small scale Giger inspired thing:

Class: B-1 Explorer Mk1f
    Name: Troggoth The Harbinger
    B-1_Explorer_Mk1f.png

Yes, it's in one color. Yes, it's overpowered. Yes, it is a missile battle barge of blocky doom with a salvage beam array and even it's current finished state it has plenty of calm blue interior and it's passive-aggressive, just like I am at the moment of writing this post. I just don't get why plain ships like mine aren't appreciated more. I think realistic-idealistic when I build my stuff instead of aesthetic-heavy-whatever which I've recently started to hate/dislike even more.

EDIT: Forgot to add the names of the ship.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blodge and Gasboy
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The last ship I built and posted a picture of in another thread was this:

It still lacked something back then, and no, it wasn't the lack of aesthetics but the lack of knowing what that ship really is.
    It lacked character. It lacked my hate and rage and disgust.

But over a few weeks, months even I've gone back to it and have either polished it inside or changed it's weaponry. Then it finally occurred to me that it needed the gothic/gigery touch of symmetrical malevolent/menacing elemants:

This is S-1 Thargor Mk3 nicknamed 'Fyr-Gor'.

It's a few blocks longer now to make the ridges symmetrical and the storage bay longer/bigger to where I cleverly managed to install a dockable small but long astrotech pod since the cargo bay is smaller from my blue ship. That periscope/conning tower thing on it is actually not a turret but just a rotatable observatory as I sometimes need that thing to have legit way of looking what's going on outside and around my ship.

EDIT1:

More screenshots of it:

There. Some part of the interior shown. Sorry about the long post as I can't seem to find the spoiler tag option.

EDIT2: Fixed! Also some music to go with the mood of the ship:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Col_Kurtz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright, I improved S-1 Thargor's mining. Its salvage array had to be completely ripped out to make a new one with 77 salvage computers each attached to their modules next to each other. All of the 77 computers are linked all the way to a remote in-ship switch/logic system and a cargo block. The end result, pure mining bliss, meet S-1 Thargor Mk3b:

Here's the rest of the pictures in the ship's album:

By the way, I experimented with other colors for the ship and I ended up just wasting my time. I just plain don't like my ships in more than one color, unless it's an insignia or an icon. Sorry, but "boring" it has to be for me. The colors I tried it in ended up ruining the character of this starship as this ship is not some fancy human ship nor is it some luxury thing though it is a luxury thing from the perspective of the ship's creator/pilot.

No, this is an alien vessel meant to instil dread and do mining with defending and fighting being a secondary thing only. It "lacks" visible engines because it's and ALIEN vessel built by an alien who knows ADVANCED ways of moving a massive object. That's how my ships should be seen as. Seriously, adding visible engines or more color is NOT an improvement for this vessel anymore as it's a much more finished ship now. Besides how is adding visible primitive engines from the current advanced alien propulsion system an improvement!?! It's like changing out your N-1 Russian rocket's engines with something colossally inferior. No thanks!

Here's a fine example of what ships I'm into:
    Thargoid_Warship_screenshot.png
    Yes, I'm serious about this. This vessel from Frontier First Encounters is my main and only ship in that game, my second favorite is the 'Thargon' fighter/scout from the same game.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    New project: Customized Melnorme Trader.
    Status: Planning and trying to relax while planning it in my head.

So yeah, this will be my first ever spherical egg shaped ship if I get around to building it. It's been floating in my mind for months now.

EDIT: Frell this! I will not be bound by default Starmade's boll yotz! If I have no way of making a large ADVANCED ship turn faster and if I can't add CUSTOM SEPARATE BLOCKS WITH THEIR OWN BLOCK BEHAVIOUR.CFG then frankly.. I'm done. So built a small awesome thing instead and edited some default values instead (power, salvage beam and overdrive effect for weapons).

I am furious...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen

Proof of concept of the sort of thing I wanna spend time doing in SM while still being OP as Khorne himself with my own custom tech. I don't care if it's boring or lacks color.

Small polish:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Theats
    Reaction score
    Super passive aggressive. But I appreciate your style.

Keep it up!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Super passive aggressive. But I appreciate your style.

Keep it up!
    Heh, Sorry. Years of early access, unfinished games or games in general just lacking stuff can make one really bitter over all of the disappointments. I do apologize for my behavior but it's becoming more and more natural for me, at the very least I do try to muffle the very worst of it.

Anyhow, thanks! Means great deal to me. Not here for fame like everyone else, I just do what I do at this point and it is very much appreciated if folk find my idea of a ship similar to their idea of a ship!

Reactions: Theats
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Woah. Ended up building this out of frustration and depression today, spent the entire day building it and barely eating. I have yet to give it a proper name as I still have to test it in action but it is fully functional as I was testing stuff/systems while building, even has rather spacious interior.

So here's the sneakpeek screenshot of it until I can take more shots of it later on, too damn exhausted:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright so I finally polished my ship a bit more but the exterior/hull is still the same as in the original sneakpeek of it here so nothing's changed in that regard and without further ado, I present to you "A-1 Drusal Mk1d":

Alrighty, hold onto your butts.. screenshot mayhem coming ahead in this imgur album of mine:

EDIT: Why so many pictures? To finally show the interior of one of my ships and to prove that all this talk of mine about "more interior" isn't just all talk, damnit!

EDIT2: When I made that ship I was frustrated and depressed and angry and I poured it all into making that ship for an entire damn day!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz and Blodge
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have much larger ship now in mind, a ship with a very large salvage array with the entire fore dedicated to it just like on the Thargor and it'd be octagon from front and behind with ridges and spikes put where I deem necessary.

But what's the point? I mean I probably will eventually build this ship to compensate for the larger asteroids.. but what's the point of sharing my screenshots of it, really? Barely anyone comments or likes it and it really gets my mood down.

I think I just built my best ship yet since Thargor, posted it and.. what do I get for it except personal gain and satisfaction and then finding out that the ship I built isn't enough for the big asteroids? Not much.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Don't get too hung up on a lack of replies. Build for yourself and be happy with your creations.

that being said...

I like you textured hulls. It would be interesting to see that very dense texture spread over an non-regular, organic shape. the contrasts could be interesting.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    We lurker folk be hiding in the rushes... watching... appreciating... stealing ideas...

Basically I like the difference your ships have. I would never even think of building ANY of those, and that makes them interesting!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Don't get too hung up on a lack of replies. Build for yourself and be happy with your creations.

that being said...

I like you textured hulls. It would be interesting to see that very dense texture spread over an non-regular, organic shape. the contrasts could be interesting.
    We lurker folk be hiding in the rushes... watching... appreciating... stealing ideas...

Basically I like the difference your ships have. I would never even think of building ANY of those, and that makes them interesting!
    Thank you both! Very much appreciated.

I just don't see much sense or charm in heavily aesthetic ships, it's like being an aesthetic bodybuilder in real life and only looking the part but not actually being the part and so you end up being an inefficient and fake strength user when someone much more slim with much denser muscles can outperform you 10-fold (I'm the slim one in real life). That's what my ships are about: Practicality and usefulness and since blocky shapes in SM are the most efficient and I like/love basic shapes, I just take the basic shapes and make them look more than just basic shapes even if it is just adding tubings, ridges and spikes in a creative way to get a ship's personality across.

I'm into Warhammer 40k chaos stuff, particularly Khorne especially.. not that into lore or what the chaos gods are doing or the impractical ships of Warhammer 40k but I do like the menacing ridged, spiked and bastardized looks of chaos stuff, nothing more dreadful than a spiked/ridged and ship full of hate and rage ploughing through the opposition like an angry hulk bull on high-tech steroids IMO. Hence why the ship I'm planning will have either the Khorne's symbol or the Immortan Joe's (From "Mad Max: Fury Road") logo on it's hull somewhere.

And as usual I just love my armor-clad idea on spaceships and it tends to irk me when majority of ships in sci-fi tend to have unnecessary weak points. I don't care about this "Rule of Cool" but I do care about this Mad Max esque over the top "We're-gonna-make-this-semitruck-a-racing-car-mixed-with-battering-ram! WITNESS!!!" stuff that's impossible yet still practical. It's just with spaceships, there are a lot of hazards out there and an armor-clad multi-layered-plated ship can save lives and stuff inside the ship. One of the reasons why I have alot of 3x3 airlocks all around my ships between rooms.

Basic shapes look boring yes but once I add stuff to it and in it, it starts already being more than just a shape. Even if it is a plain doom box, I can see character of it so I add more character on its hull in the form of ridges, and spikes and intricate carvings like some Egyptian/lovecraftian/eldritch thing as I like that sort of stuff on my ships and I intentionally have my interiors out of regular hull blocks to save weight and look more like those cushions on the Nostromo from the movie 'Alien'.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think it is almost impossible to build better 3d rectangle ships, well, it might be possible but not easy to beat these.

My ship building is very limited by the starmade mechanic with the ship size, that is why they are also very boxy....but well, per block count, mine would be inferior to those(considering similar system distribution)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it is almost impossible to build better 3d rectangle ships, well, it might be possible but not easy to beat these.

My ship building is very limited by the starmade mechanic with the ship size, that is why they are also very boxy....but well, per block count, mine would be inferior to those(considering similar system distribution)
    Thanks! And I agree. Quite the amount of creativity needed to make a box more than just a box, one of the reasons I take long breaks between building something new.

Per block count? Not that into math (due to very strong mental resentment reasons towards math), I just think up a plan where to put systems and modules just so that I can still have a functional ship with interiors and add more of them (systems) if need be while building without having to nerf the interior space. So I don't know how much better or worse your or my ships are systems wise.

Fun fact is that this ship I first posted here in the forums somewhere: ...is now basically lunch for the Drusal.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alrighty, this one took heck a lot longer than the Drusal (been building it straight from morning to the next.. morning). Yet to come up with a proper name but here's the massive and stubby salvager with all necessary essentials and more already installed (just needs more interior polish and missiles.. somewhere):

There I can make a ship two colors too! The only reason I did it in two colors is to resemble a flying outpost station clunker. I sure do love my franken flying bricks.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add this screenshot:

And of course some info about the main craft.
    It Has tons and tons of shield capacity and shield recharge rate.
    50% overdrive, 100% stop effect, a rapid fire cannon and a damage beam weapon and of course a wide salvage array that right now tends to make the game lag but gets the job done a lot easier with those big asteroids as I can just leave the craft to mine after toggling the array on.
    It uses two salvage computers in such a way that it is a non-checkerboard so it gets all of the blocks without moving the ship unless the area is eaten. Just the kind of ship I've needed since the asteroids got the update.

Drusal doesn't have overdrive and stop effect as passives but this new big one does and even has room for, well rooms and more systems. Oh yeah and it has four AMP-1 astrotech pods/shuttles, two of them are docked the right way up and the other two are on the ceiling because the ceiling is really just a second hangar floor because micro gravity and gravity walkways. Also it has at least about 3000-4000 extra thrust left due to adding lots of thruster blocks and plenty of reactors and power storage (properly this time, have had power cap blocks in single rows in the past for some reason).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Added some bulk:

That ship definitely looks like it's made for space! - many builders can't seem to achieve that look; some make their ships structurally resemble terrestrial air-crafts (with all the aerodynamic design elements that have no use in space), or they make them like nautical ships, or heck, my designs even resembled parts of trucks, agricultural harvesters and rail locomotives. But that there is a true spaceship!

What's it called? Should we hope to see it up on the docks some time in the future? :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That ship definitely looks like it's made for space! - many builders can't seem to achieve that look; some make their ships structurally resemble terrestrial air-crafts (with all the aerodynamic design elements that have no use in space), or they make them like nautical ships, or heck, my designs even resembled parts of trucks, agricultural harvesters and rail locomotives. But that there is a true spaceship!

What's it called? Should we hope to see it up on the docks some time in the future? :)
    Thanks. Yeah, supposed to be an alien station or a piece of an alien station emptied of most of original station parts and retro-fitted with a salvage array and Thargoid like propulsion systems along with hull reworked for dangers in space. The smallest outside piece on the back can be thought of as an escape capsule too should the salvage array ever even malfunction drastically in which case the pods on the sides should detach too and go to accompany the main controlling pod along with four AMP-1 Mk3's being attached somewhere too, most likely hauling the side pods into place and thus: perfect escape plan with no salvage lost.
    Talked of it's second (make-believe) escape system as the first priority would be to jettison the entire salvage array to save the whole ship.

The ship can fly in atmosphere too due to stop effect modules and forcefield tech. A mining ship that can park in a hover setting within the planet's atmosphere like a tower and mine.

At the moment the craft is called Targoth (no nothing to do with tar, though with default config settings it does turn/rotate like being in tar, silly when engines can accelerate up/down, left/right, forward/backward faster than it can turn with the default thrust config values).
    It is a ship I made for myself to be honest and I'm not entirely happy about it being basically a box that flies on it's corners plus the mining array lags the game when it mines a lot of blocks and I'm not keen on changing the config files everytime SM updates so a smaller vessel with wide but thin salvage array that slowly mines asteroids from their sides to their other sides is in order. It all depends on SM getting actual life with NPCs and creatures and especially custom mod blocks to have their own functions (power, shields, thrust, weapons, etc) as right now I don't even see much of a reason to boot up SM.

Major thanks though!

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic