Texture Pack,

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I LOVE this texture pack, but one itty bitty thing that is bugging me is the icons for the items do not match what your textures are. Is there a way you can fix em to match up?

Many thanks

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Ok guys, some updates!

Firstly, @Nikicon; Yea, i will eventually alter the inventory block textures. Hang in there and keep checking back. It will get done soon i hope.

I\'ve been playing with the HUD a little. I wanted to create something a little more fitting for my textures.

It\'s not final, but it\'s a taste of things to come.

So yea, updates are coming. Newer versions of the texture set along with new HUD\'s, GUI tweaks and Inventory textures are all planned.

Thanks for watching.

Reaction score
    Well this is odd. I downloaded and updated starmade from the website, opened the block folder, deleted everything inside it, moved 4 texture files ONLY into the folder, boot up Starmade = Same textures

Am i mistaken in saying that the game shouldnt be able to to load anything but those new textures.

The installation instructions are so straight forward that you cant make a mistake, i have done it twice and i dont know what could be wrong.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    It sounds like you understand the instructions, but lets quickly check for a small mistake.

This is the target destination for the downloaded texture files. Note; only 1 folder called block.

Make sure your t000.png (and others) are not copies. eg: t000 copy.png

Double click the .png files and make sure they are the correct texture sheets.

If your still not getting the right textures loaded, you can PM me a screen shot and we can try fix it for you.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    @Carnanty; Hahaha, I haven\'t. Just getting carried away thats all.

@Syleiel; Love the terran designs!

I do have a quick question for the community though.

I have been looking at the block item graphics, the small blocks you see in your HUD and inventory.

Due to the nature of my texture pack, when i start scaling down some of my designs and showing them in a 3d cube i loose a lot of detail. In some cases it could be confusing between 2 blocks. (gravity unit & astro technician for example)

I could carry on scaling them down and just hope you recognise things, or i could swap out the 3d block for a simple 2d tile showing the block face.

I can upload examples later showing it, but i\'d like to know how many of you rely on the little graphics. I know i do to a certain degree, so i would prefer to see a clear 2d image rather than blurry 3d.

How about you? Do you think the 3d inventory blocks add a more dynamic visual to the game and must be kept?

Reaction score
    I actually suggest the 2d tile... for two reasons:

1. You can tell better what something is than when scaled down and

2. Because as a texture pack artist, I know that doing all the 3d block images is a stone-cold bitch, and generally doesn\'t look all that great when you are finished.

The game has plenty of 3d as it is... using 2d images won\'t subtract anything and might possibly add more recognizability.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Thanks for that mate, really well put.

I\'m with you on this one currently. Will leave the question lingering for a while longer but i imagine i\'ll use 2D tiles.

Reaction score
    I do kinda gotta admit I have already modified the heck out of your texture pack for my own use, including installing 2d textures for shop graphics and dropping the resolution on everything down to 128 (I use a special program designed for 3d low-poly modelling UV reduction that has an absolutely outstanding resolution-reduction algorithm.) and I have noticed that for the most part, much of it looks a lot better (to me anyway) with the flashiest and most identifiable part of the texture (The rockets on the bb comp, the front barrel on the salvage cannon, etc.) as a 2d image. I always found the combination of 3d (block graphics) and 2d (manufacturing parts, plants) on the same shortcut bar to be...disconcerting.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I\'m curious to know your process and programs, would love to see the alterations too!

Mind if we move this conversation into a private message?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I am with the 2d block sugestion, If the 3d version look horrable then toss it out for a clean image. Also I would liek to maybe have a lower res for tthe pack as i have noticed a lot of loading lag when i firs tload up the game or load a ship form the catlog. Yes yes I know my video card is kinida old, but its got a gig of memory as with my pc running 4 gig. Yes i am using a 64 bit system and java.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, i\'ll upload one later today. The textures would put a bit more stress on a older card compared to default. Will post the download link back here.

Thanks for the input on the 2d/3d question.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    hello Kupu,

I hope ya don\'t mind, but I reduced your texture pack files down to 1024 x 1024 and it still looks amazing! :) and after seeing the newer hardened hull on my Sulaco, I decided it worked better with it than the older hardened hull. And great work on the GUI!, looking forward to that as well. and I don\'t mind the icons not matching..it\'s no big deal to me. :)

Reaction score
    I would be interested in this as well.

I think 2d makes more sense than hard to view 3d

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Ok, i said i would so here it is, a scaled down texture pack.

This is my original texture pack at 64x64, the same size as default. It will certainly help with lag issues without compensating too much on the visual side.

Link here; http://rapidshare.com/files/3066141274/block%2064x64.zip

@mrsinister

Not a problem! I\'m glad your liking the new hud too. Although i am now doing the inventory blocks! so there, have them anyway! ha.

Working on the HUD and inventory images,

I have decided to use a 2D image for the inventory and hud images. It seemed cleaner for detailed blocks.

Quick screenshot of the working HUD,

A few alignment issues, but just requires kicking some pixels over a little bit here or there.

Will look into finishing this up then moving on to the radar and top hud. menus etc if i have time.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Its not complete, i still have a lot of work to do on this.

I won\'t actually release it in the same zip file as the texutre pack, it would make more sense to have two downloads. Firstly for easier installation, and secondly i am sure some players will want the option to choose defualt settings for blocks and huds independently.

So i expect i will have to release 2 downloadable files,

1st pack for the block textures (to be extracted into the \'block\' folder)

2nd pack for HUD and GUI updates (to be extracted into the \'image resource\' folder)

As for what i am texturing,

The bottom HUD, top HUD, radar box, crosshairs, target animations, target cursors, main menu boxes, buttons and help text.

I don\'t have a release date, this is a pretty big project to do in my spare time, so i wouldn\'t expect it too soon.

Hope this preempts and answers any questions.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m also working on a hud texture, but it looks like I have to step up my game. I like what you did with the shield and low power indicators.

Wouldn\'t it be nice if all the hud and menu elements were more in line with an 8x8 or 4x4 grid?