Tertiary Weapon Effects - An Experiment, with Pics

Reaction score
    So, I just did a little off-the-cuff experiment with tertiary weapon effects and got some rather unexpected results. And then I took pictures of those results because I figured no one would believe me otherwise.

I was slapping together a small sniper beam turret for a ship I've been making and I couldn't decide what tertiary effect to use. Many people here on the forum seem to swear by pierce effect, so I decided to try that. And then I decided to try Overdrive, Explosive, and Punch-through also, just to compare them all.

Here's the size of the weapon I was using for this:

I maintained the exact same ratios and block counts for all four effects I tested.
    The target for all my tests was a 50m cube of Power Caps, covered with 1 layer of Adv Armor, with 220Shields (just the core) and 500Shield Regen per Second.

Here are the results of a single shot from each variation(each on a widely separate part of the targets hull):

And for those who don't want to open the pictures, I'll summarize:
    Pierce: Destroyed 1 Adv Armor and 3 Power Caps
    Punch-Through: Destroyed 1 armor and 4 caps
    Overdrive: 1 armor and 3 caps
    Explosive: Destroyed 5 Advanced Armor Blocks, plus 19 Power Capacitors behind that

I was honestly expecting them all to be more or less the same, but apparently not. Explosives appear to be the winner by a huge margin.

Of course, this wont scale up due to the artificial cap on explosive effect at 10%...
    Hmm... maybe i need to do another experiment with 10% explosive vs. 100% pierce but with the weapons total block counts being equal...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Hmm... maybe i need to do another experiment with 10% explosive vs. 100% pierce but with the weapons total block counts being equal...
    Wait, did you only have pierce at 10%?

Also, I would suggest you test this out against thicker armor. The results will not be nearly as favorable towards the explosive.

Reaction score
    We need explosive to be much stronger. Youed need like 200% explosive effect for 5 block radius(bc balancing), but it would be awsome!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458167685,1458167650][/DOUBLEPOST]Bad word choice, we need explosive effect to be more expandable.