Surprise Dev Update

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    it would split evenly among all of them. and if you eventually add too many you would get like 1% or 0% shield bonus for every turret.

the idea is to empower smaller ships with fewer turrets and discourage titans with unlimited turrets. this system would require that turrets tracking speeds correspond with its mass/dimensions so having turrets of varying sizes and power becomes a thing.

like I've said before, this doesn't negatively affect turrets it only benefits them. if you wanted to have a massive ship with 10,000,000 turrets on it you can. its just they won't receive any bonus shielding and have to rely on their on-board capacities for protection.

of course schema did confirm that turrets will now get shield sharing and I'm not sure how my system would work with the new docking mechanics so I'm very much in a wait-and-see mode. I could be completely wrong on this
    Thing is, I have 3 super turrets, 12 medium turrets and 106 anti-missile turrets on my ship. I'd like to have the small anti-missile turrets shielded (I couldn't give less of a &$*# about the super turrets as they each have >20 mil shields). However, with what you're proposing the giant turrets would get just as much shielding as the small ones. Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Reaction score
    Thing is, I have 3 super turrets, 12 medium turrets and 106 anti-missile turrets on my ship. I'd like to have the small anti-missile turrets shielded (I couldn't give less of a &$*# about the super turrets as they each have >20 mil shields). However, with what you're proposing the giant turrets would get just as much shielding as the small ones. Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
    nvm reading comprehension.
    I agree that it doesn't make sense for turrets of different size to have the same amount of shielding.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    How about we do it somewhat more simply

(Turret mass / Total mass) = Shield percentage given from main ship to turret

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about we do it somewhat more simply

(Turret mass / Total mass) = Shield percentage given from main ship to turret
    That's the complete opposite of what we want. We want tiny things that we can't effectively shield like PD turrets to share the mothership's shields completely, and we don't care about larger things.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    That's the complete opposite of what we want. We want tiny things that we can't effectively shield like PD turrets to share the mothership's shields completely, and we don't care about larger things.

Which is pretty silly, because that totally defeats the purpose of smaller craft and bombers, while making the kinds of ships I usually make more or less totally invulnerable against missiles no matter how long the fight is

If you want more convenient turret repairs, use less turrets.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think we should see how schema wants to do it and then yell at each other and him later.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Which is pretty silly, because that totally defeats the purpose of smaller craft and bombers, while making the kinds of ships I usually make more or less totally invulnerable against missiles no matter how long the fight is

If you want more convenient turret repairs, use less turrets.
    Oh? You've used a small craft in a battle in the past? I have yet to see a SINGLE person do that.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Oh? You've used a small craft in a battle in the past? I have yet to see a SINGLE person do that.
    Because everyone's afraid of going into battle and risking getting shot full of holes.

And yes, I have. 50k vs. 820k. Sadly, I didn't do as much damage as I would have liked since my target didn't use turrets at all (if he had, I wouldn't have survived, but I'd have had the satisfaction of ripping off 50k mass worth in turrets and forcing at least ten minutes of maintenance work).

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    just a reminder. The Thrust revamp and turret tracking based on mass/dimensions are confirmed features.

When they get implemented everything we know about turrets and fighters will be turned on it head

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Question, if you want to use the mothership shields to help protect a turret, why not go down the route of allowing shield supply beams to hit docked entities and doing it the same sort of way docked reactors work, only in reverse, with the mothership supplying the turrets? That way you could decide how much shielding you wanted to supply, and you would have to make sure the mothership had enough shield regen to cope with it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Question, if you want to use the mothership shields to help protect a turret, why not go down the route of allowing shield supply beams to hit docked entities and doing it the same sort of way docked reactors work, only in reverse, with the mothership supplying the turrets? That way you could decide how much shielding you wanted to supply, and you would have to make sure the mothership had enough shield regen to cope with it.
    The new turrets will have two entities, a base and barrel, a shield transfer beam would only be able to supply shields to the base reliably. This also would be a poor substitute for providing shields to small turrets as it only gives you regen and not capacity which would mean turrets would still be limited to the number of shield capacitors they have.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Because everyone's afraid of going into battle and risking getting shot full of holes.

And yes, I have. 50k vs. 820k. Sadly, I didn't do as much damage as I would have liked since my target didn't use turrets at all (if he had, I wouldn't have survived, but I'd have had the satisfaction of ripping off 50k mass worth in turrets and forcing at least ten minutes of maintenance work).
    Combat right now is a running joke - you joke around in chat that you'll destroy everyone, then run at them really fast and DPS their shields down for the easy Beam Missile Core Snipe Of Glory.

There are other ways to do it, but the efficient among us stick to this.

Reactions: Winterhome

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Hmmm, I got to admit that you have a point here. However, I think that small turrets should benefit the most from mothership shields at least until the shipyard update. After that turrets can have no shielding from the mothership at all (like now) for all I care. Ripping small turrets off a ship is fun, true. But it's not fun for the person replacing them. Replacing even two turrets is annoying....

The only thing that I disagree with is nerfing turrets based on their size (psst Vanhelzing), not everyone (so basically the vast majority of the player base) likes playing with cute baby turrets ;). I'd rather just go with the solution that makes the most people happy to be honest, even if I might dislike it. Any shield sharing mechanic would be a buff compared to the current turrets.

So long as it includes some ship or shipyard mounted auto-repair mechanic somewhere in the soon™ future!!! Please oh great cat, replacing mini-turrets is really really annoying.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Winterhome

Winterhome

Reaction score
    We should ideally have some sort of slow, automated system - such as a shipyard that repairs block by block or something.

Replacing lots of small turrets is a pain in the ass - and, when I'm making someone I hate do it, an absolute joy for me. I'd be okay with automated repairs being considerably slower than just salvaging and respawning your ship, or manually building new turrets and patching holes by hand, as long as it can be done automatically while the chunk is loaded.

I strongly feel there should be both rewards for victory and punishments for not just failing, but failing spectacularly - it drives players to do better and gives everyone else the satisfaction of knowing the other guy will have to wait a good twenty minutes for his forty 5.0 mass PD turrets to be reattached, regardless of what kind of system it uses (hand repair via spawning BPs, or shipyard repair).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    We should ideally have some sort of slow, automated system - such as a shipyard that repairs block by block or something.

Replacing lots of small turrets is a pain in the ass - and, when I'm making someone I hate do it, an absolute joy for me. I'd be okay with automated repairs being considerably slower than just salvaging and respawning your ship, or manually building new turrets and patching holes by hand, as long as it can be done automatically while the chunk is loaded.

I strongly feel there should be both rewards for victory and punishments for not just failing, but failing spectacularly - it drives players to do better and gives everyone else the satisfaction of knowing the other guy will have to wait a good twenty minutes for his forty 5.0 mass PD turrets to be reattached, regardless of what kind of system it uses (hand repair via spawning BPs, or shipyard repair).
    I really agree with that. Shipyards should be the slower than hand repairing, or with a really good (expensive) shipyard maybe close to the same speed. Don't forget that blocks aren't free anymore either, so every hole you put in an enemy has it's own merit :D

Edit: Oh, and this;

(with the opposite also being true)

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Last time i checked, shield supply suffered from the same thing that power supply has. You can't hit docked entities.

Docked entities supplying to the mothership works.
    Mothership supplying to the docked entities didn't work (but that's a bug, a side effect of your own weapons not blowing up your own ship)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Last time i checked, shield supply suffered from the same thing that power supply has. You can't hit docked entities.
    I knew that, I was just questioning whether fixing that so that the mothership could supply the turret would be a viable alternative to an automatic shield sharing mechanism.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I knew that, I was just questioning whether fixing that so that the mothership could supply the turret would be a viable alternative to an automatic shield sharing mechanism.
    Nevermind then, and no it would not be viable.