still worth it?

Reaction score
    is it still worth playing? i was thinking of just tossing back up a server like the old days i have plenty of hardware and servers running on them so wouldn't be hard to run it if people still want to play

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Cackebuild has mostly some people on, Skied of Eden and Systemhack as well. You have to try.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    If you can find a server or better yet; get a crew together, it's still worth playing once you get past the initial startup phase (mining and basic industry).

Solo with vanilla pirate eventually gets stale unless you're a build-a-holic, so you and your buddies will need to put some work into the server to make it more exciting. Build some pirates, make a station, tweak the configs, then play they way you want.

Once you do that, proceed with all manner of hijinks, shenanigans, malarkey, and tomfoolery.

Reactions: Rechkalov

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Hi C0r3y, I remember you from way back in the day from Home Sector. The game probably needs more players than it needs more servers right now but that might change when the Universe Update pt 1 drops fully. Join the discord if you're not there and check out the announcements, you can download the in progress new launcher there and play the pre-release branch to see it.

Reaction score
    I think it is still worth playing because the more people that try to play will cause the sever to fill with people and that will cause the game to become more intresting because more things will be going on

Reaction score
    So, is there any server that is still alive or not completely dead, using the old power system (with no reactor chambers and kind of limited to 2M e/s through diminishing returns)?
    (I would also enjoy the old way of automated propulsion through push effect which can be controlled from a "Ship Bridge" by using buttons and logic instead of having to enter a core, missiles that do not need missile capacity modules, but with "modern" docking that does not need Dock Enhancers.)

I'd like some advice about where to play that version of Starmade other than in singleplayer.
    I mean, for me stations just need to be able to fit in and power some factories and some station-level shields and rechargers, and have some fun roleplaying spaces but for human life forms, no actual hangars.
    My ships generally are of 3 types:
    - Warships, extremely minimal roleplay, maximal efficiency, crew of one, built to hunt and loot pirates by shooting at pirate bases to provoke spawns, kill and loot the spawns then repeat until the station is complletely destroyed (my main moneymaker by selling useless loot to Traders);
    - Mining ships (unarmed but shielded), crew of one, minimal roleplay (secondary moneymaker and, together with station factories, a solution to still gain blocks to building stuff after I depleted all trading stations I know of of their money and useful blocks by selling to them all the loot I am not using);
    - Pleasure yachts, civilian, with only automated propulsion controlled from a bridge by logic, also using side-facing push effect for turning, and shields, no other systems. Rest of the ship being only roleplay spaces, with lit pools, gardens, pubs, rotating sections, etc.

Of course, a large yacht or warship can dwarf the station it docks at and I do not need the docking modules effectively limiting the size of docking ship to only double the station size on the same axis, on each axis. Like a mining outpost could be a 30 meters diameter sphere, have only one deck with 4 RP rooms inside, beside the shields, factories and the power systems, all systems compact built and not accessible without a build block. Yet it would still have 6 docks with one standardized 3x3 access gate each.
    I still wish to dock a 150 -200 meters long, elegant and slick station killer/planet killer warship to it. And if the docked black warship fully blocks half the view of space from inside the station, that just testify about the magnificence of the ship and looks cool, in my opinion.

PS: On small warships, 2Me/s is more than they actually need.
    On bigger warships, I'm not bypassing the 2Me/s power generation by using docked generators or in any other way. I just build anti-missile turrets small, just a few cannon-cannon groups one block each, so they use very little power. And the main weapon system is ship/station killer turrets massive and slow, with their own internal 1-2 Me/s power split 50/50 between shields and weaponry, so that they do not draw power from the ship and can be detached as 0 propulsion oversized drones if I need a distraction to escape a too powerful enemy.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So, is there any server that is still alive or not completely dead, using the old power system (with no reactor chambers and kind of limited to 2M e/s through diminishing returns)?
    (I would also enjoy the old way of automated propulsion through push effect which can be controlled from a "Ship Bridge" by using buttons and logic instead of having to enter a core, missiles that do not need missile capacity modules, but with "modern" docking that does not need Dock Enhancers.)

I'd like some advice about where to play that version of Starmade other than in singleplayer.
    I mean, for me stations just need to be able to fit in and power some factories and some station-level shields and rechargers, and have some fun roleplaying spaces but for human life forms, no actual hangars.
    My ships generally are of 3 types:
    - Warships, extremely minimal roleplay, maximal efficiency, crew of one, built to hunt and loot pirates by shooting at pirate bases to provoke spawns, kill and loot the spawns then repeat until the station is complletely destroyed (my main moneymaker by selling useless loot to Traders);
    - Mining ships (unarmed but shielded), crew of one, minimal roleplay (secondary moneymaker and, together with station factories, a solution to still gain blocks to building stuff after I depleted all trading stations I know of of their money and useful blocks by selling to them all the loot I am not using);
    - Pleasure yachts, civilian, with only automated propulsion controlled from a bridge by logic, also using side-facing push effect for turning, and shields, no other systems. Rest of the ship being only roleplay spaces, with lit pools, gardens, pubs, rotating sections, etc.

Of course, a large yacht or warship can dwarf the station it docks at and I do not need the docking modules effectively limiting the size of docking ship to only double the station size on the same axis, on each axis. Like a mining outpost could be a 30 meters diameter sphere, have only one deck with 4 RP rooms inside, beside the shields, factories and the power systems, all systems compact built and not accessible without a build block. Yet it would still have 6 docks with one standardized 3x3 access gate each.
    I still wish to dock a 150 -200 meters long, elegant and slick station killer/planet killer warship to it. And if the docked black warship fully blocks half the view of space from inside the station, that just testify about the magnificence of the ship and looks cool, in my opinion.

PS: On small warships, 2Me/s is more than they actually need.
    On bigger warships, I'm not bypassing the 2Me/s power generation by using docked generators or in any other way. I just build anti-missile turrets small, just a few cannon-cannon groups one block each, so they use very little power. And the main weapon system is ship/station killer turrets massive and slow, with their own internal 1-2 Me/s power split 50/50 between shields and weaponry, so that they do not draw power from the ship and can be detached as 0 propulsion oversized drones if I need a distraction to escape a too powerful enemy.
    I don't think anyone is still hosting any 0.199 servers. The game barely has living 0.2 servers.

Reaction score
    Too bad. So, singleplayer it is.
    Killing cores with cannon-cannon-penetration single group is way more satisfactory for me than punching hole after hole after hole with severely balanced/nerfed missiles just to have the enemy ship still floating, full of holes and useless, still not dead yet.
    But that's not an issue if I do not have alien civilizations expanding towards me system after system, another thing that the game was better without, especially in multiplayer, where the players are already doing the same. Because only the long and thin NPC ships do that trick and survive anything, long after their systems are gone, Isanths and player ships do not.
    Not to mention the total lack of elegance of Power2 bulk chambers, reactors and stabilizers or the fact turrets can't be self-powered, so the ship needs to be dramatically larger to feed same turrets, but thrust is also severely nerfed for large enough ships to feed those turrets, so it needs even more power and thrusters to at least get close to server's speed, (to be able to catch the fleeing pirate ships) even with full chamber upgrades towards speed.
    Bleah!
    And they claimed Power 2 had lowered the need for oversized ships, making smaller ships more viable. OK, show me how a small ship can navigate around a pirate base when the base still has all turrets active, just tanking whatever those turrets do and taking pot shots at spawned pirates, in Power 2. I know I can build that ship smaller and better in Power 1. Even small enough that it does not actually need turrets because it can still turn by itself.

And that's the FIRST money maker ship, not the apotheotic end of a long career. Mining is boring. I only do mining when I have the first less than 100 blocks ship and I'm broke and way later when I depleted all shops I know of and searching the Universe for even more shops to take my loot and give me what I need becomes even more boring than mining. That is the moment when I need to go the "I mine, I craft, so I build" path and start ignoring the pirates, just blow up their bases that are inconveniently placed and let all the others be.
    But then, building a properly shielded mining ship (pirate ships sometimes spawn in roid fields) that eats up roids in minutes is not so hard anymore so mining is no longer "point your salvage rays, press the button and for the next hour or two just aim at the same asteroid" as it is at the beginning and mid-game, so it's not that boring anymore. Mining ships need more cargo and teleporting abilities, not thrust and maneuverability. Asteroids and planets do not run anywhere. So thrust and salvage rays and overall mining ship size becomes just a matter of optimizing "OMG, this roid is not in the center of its sector, it will take me 5 minutes to reach it after teleporting" with "OMG, this is a big roid, it will take me 5 minutes to swallow it all".

Last edited: