Recognized Station Upgrades

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This suggestion may be related to this one.

Read by Council - Station Module (a type of shipyard/core)

I can't quite tell.

Problem Statement:
    I'm building constantly in my own multiplayer server. I'm essentially building assets so I can upgrade rather quick while I setup a base and get materials. I think this is going to be even more important as time goes on. I have one station that I just keep adding on to. I'd like to build it incrementally on another server as well.

Suggestion:
    Create a mechanic that allows upgrades to the station from a blueprint.

Example Implementation:
    Allow me to create multiple blueprints of the same object and remove parts of it. Then let me package them and label as upgrade 1, 2, 3, etc. That way when I build the blueprint on another server, I can start pretty quickly with my base station, and as I get materials add on in a predetermined fashion.

This also lends itself to a cool dynamic the AI can use as well. Allowing Schine or a player to determine how a station gets upgraded over time for an AI. Maybe even allowing branching paths of upgrades down the road.

This also would build on a framework for station repairs.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In the original thread you mentioned I had that in mind, change the 'active' blueprint and it starts removing extra blocks and placing new ones it has available. Your idea of adding progression would be very cool as an NPC faction would upgrade bases overtime making their older sector better defended and their frontiers more vulnerable.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    In the original thread you mentioned I had that in mind, change the 'active' blueprint and it starts removing extra blocks and placing new ones it has available. Your idea of adding progression would be very cool as an NPC faction would upgrade bases overtime making their older sector better defended and their frontiers more vulnerable.
    I think ultimately I would love to have optional upgrades as well. Like an upgrade that makes the turrets bigger, or increases the size of a shipyard. So in essence giving some form of progression.

Thats what I meant by branching paths. These branching paths would give the AI some variability too.

Reaction score
    I realy like this idea a lot, maybe instead of making them seperate blueprints they are sub blueprints, requiring the original blueprint to function, but only store a reference to the original bluprint and the actual block changes.
    This would help with modular building.
    That way you could have a MkIII traders guild Outpost. With a MkII shipyard, MkIII factory, and two MkI ship hangars.

Just a thought.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This would be an awesome addition to the game to really help draw in players and show them how the universe continues to grow and change, with or without them. Plus, such a mechanic could be adapted to tons of different things in the game. Ships that are gradually built. Cities that gradually grow. Asteroids that are built up into space stations. etc.

Reactions: alterintel

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Would like this and you could also use it as a sort of station repair function too using the current BP of the station and it going into a repair mode if the resources are there to do so.