Bug Station saved to local with no DATA folder or SMD2 file

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I've tried saving my station from the NFD Build Server to my local 3 times now. Each time when I try to spawn it the game says it is missing raw date.

Going to it's folder confirmed it is missing a data folder. Anyone know how to get past this problem?

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Did you save it to another name?

I know of a case, where a modified blueprint had a problem like that, but this only happens when you manually played around in the structure,

Example:
    You save a blueprint with the name:

Ship001

now you rename that folder to something like:

Scout

Now all saved positions refer to the data folder in /Ship001/Data but this is not there it would be in /Scout/Data

Same effect happens when you export Ship001 and have a Ship001.sment but feel like Scout.sment would be better for upload and just rename it.

On "Importing" it by ship catalog manager, you now have an empty folder named
    - Scout (created by attempting to import Scout.sment)
    but the actual data gets extracted to
    - Ship001

With some luck Ship001 works as normal now.

- Andy

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I didnt rename any files though. On the server I clicked save to local and saved it so thats not the cause of this.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    okay, hm, did you have a local copy before?
    (New name or overwriting existing blueprint?)

- Andy

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I had a differently named version of the station but I deleted it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've had this happen to one of my ships just this week. The ship was backed up as a work-in-progress previous to the galaxy update (new universe on the server), and I only just looked at it to bring it back into the game. On attempting to load it in I found the DATA folder and it's contents were missing.

The ship was saved to a new file name every time it was saved in the format 'shipname-yyyy-mm-dd' (Yamato-2014-11-07). The previous save (and all the others made) has the DATA folders intact and will load into the game no problems, but the most recent save will not because of the missing data. The file names have never been altered but are all what the game created as it saved.

This corrupted save of the ship also had a .sment entry in the exported folder. Attempting to import the .sment file results in the same missing DATA folder.

At the same time that I backed up this ship I also backed up the station it was docked to. The station will load in, but this ship is now undocked and spawn stuck in the other ships that are docked. Once you get the ship unstuck, then attempt to use it, the game will crash with a nullpointer when you press T to enter the weapons menu (trying to redock it with rails). Future saves of this ship will also result in a nullpointer when entering the weapons menu. Unbuilding the ship until it is just a core, then trying to enter the weapons menu still results in a nullpointer. I have sent a crash report in about this nullpointer using the report tool.

The Yamato-2014-11-07 ship is just a large empty partially built hull with no systems inside it. The previous save to the corrupted one is missing about 2 weeks worth of work on it (a lot of blocks). :(

This same thing has happened to a few players who have built their ships in single player, saved, then attempted to upload to the online server. They get me to check their blueprint when they get error message being thrown up about the missing DATA folder.

I have the .sment file of the ship missing the DATA file, and I can reproduce the nullpointer with the same ship that was part of the station save at anytime if logs of the crash are needed.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    PMd you in slack K10wN I'd like to get that blueprint.

I had a differently named version of the station but I deleted it.
    Okay, well, I have sort of a theory what may have happened.

Lets try to figure out the details:

You build the ship on the server, and its still intact there.
    You have a blueprint "on" the server in the world catalog, and this is still functional,
    BUT creating a local blueprint for export has a missing data-folder?

I would assume this is an auto-save issue, as it did not see a change to the chunks of the ship, it skips saving them, but thats only a theory,
    the other could be its something that has changed in the transport server <-> client is not prepared for the new rail-system or some other thing changed, and it fails to do so.

We have a report about this.
    Or at least a related problem:
    http://phab.starma.de/T280 - Logic of a blueprint saved from server to local folder not working

Possibly this is not only the logic missing.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Andy, were having the same issue on our server. Were in the process of moving resources from the existing server to a new one. While we can save a station and respawn it on our old server. Trying to spawn it on the new server or our personal computers results in this exact same error.

8/28/2015

Reaction score
    Well it seems we were not allowing enough time for our lagging server to download the data. We managed to import the old station to the new server.