StarTech

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

What is StarTech
    Do You think that currently SM is too simplified? Well this is mod for You!
    This mod completly rebalances age introduces ages-like progress.
    Beware this mod really makes things harder! Wants to send Your first ship in space?
    Well You start at planet You have core and You can't produce thrusters yet...
    You need to build big push cannon that will thrust Your vessel into space.

Are You happy now? Not really You're in space in Your vessel. You don't have thrusters so You can have only tiny salvage beam. It's really hard to fly without thrusters and You will notice that Your vessel don't stops if You don't generate thrust (space friction disabled by mod) so You need to precalculate your trajectory if You want to fly somewhere or You will miss Your destination and You will need to come back.

Ages:

Age of non-space civilisation:
    You start as astronaut on planet, You need to gather starting resources by Yourself.

Age of space exploration:
    In this age You can't build standard space thrusters so You need to throw Your ships in space using push weapons. Your ships can't be too big because You can only fly in space using ship core's thrusters. Use Your first probes-like ships to mine minerals that don't exist on Your home planet.

... (more ages to come)

Manufracturing items (in progress):

Lens

Used to concentrate photons. Necessary to craft laser cannons.

Microwaves Emitter

Used to emitt microwaves. Necessary to craft damage beams.

Memory Card

Used in computers.

Graphene

1-atom thick material. Thanks to it's conductive superpower it's used in power storages as outputs and inputs to load and unload them fast.

Nanobots

Used in Astrotechbeams to repair damages.

Motherboard

Used in PC craftings

PBT Plate

Used to craft memory and motherboards

Plastic Isolator Plate

Gold bar

Copper bar

Iron bar

Used in crafting electrical circuits

Copper Tube
    Acoustic waves emitter
    Quantum Teleporter
    Wireless Power Receiver
    Wireless Power Distributor
    Microcollisions Energy Absorber
    Graffen Battery
    Software Licence (Can't be crafted, availible only via shops)
    Motherboard
    CPU

Do You want to help me making this mod? PM me or contact via Skype (Byamarro2). if You're TeamSpeak 3 user find me at tsgamearea.pl or srv2.multigaming.pl:11014! :) You don't want to engage? Leave a comment, that helps me too!

MOD CANCELED, check out continuation of this mod:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/survival-expansion-mod.7885/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You want to play Factorio. Starmade is mostly combat game, if you suggest anything that isn't combat prepare for shitposts. There is, in fact, a 3d factorio out there with a space theme I think...

TBH though I agree with you, crafting is kinda boring. I'm also more for extra decorative blocks

For example, mesh crystal and PILOTS CHAIR equals one core.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was playing Tekkit. And I think it's awesome. Damn if some things from tekkit would be in starmade then it would be awesome.

Starmade is CURRENTLY mostly combat game. But I look at UpDates and I know that it will not in future.
    Creators of Starmade have bigger ambitions than just create block-based combat simulator.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Starmade is mostly combat game
    Wrong, it is a sandbox, meaning it is whatever you turn it into. It contains combat, and not in low amount of it, but it still isn't mostly combat, since I doubt more than 50% of possible things are combat related :P
    Unless you were trying to be humorous, in which case I retract this statement.

Reaction score
    I think it was simplified because it became such an important part of the survival experience. Before it wasn't that big of a deal. You could make money and buy items without ever crafting a thing. Now its not that easy (unless in creative or configured to be ridiculously easy to buy items). Since it forces you to use the crafting simplification seems natural.

I agree though. Why have 3 or 4 steps for advanced hull and not for a computer or weapon? We could easily add a "computer part x" to the basic factory (or maybe a special factory for computer manufacturing) that would not really increase the difficulty of crafting, but add another layer to it and make it a bit more enjoyable.

I'd also like to see items move from one machine to another via tubes or a conveyor belt instead of the instant transportation. I think the option is a solid one, but I'd personally love to see a factory decked out with tubes and what not to where you can see the components coming together to make your block.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem I faced when I came up with a similar idea was that I couldn't create any new factories. To do so I would have had to do some coding stuff, and since a) I din't know how to code java and b) that coding stuff wouldn't have been easily transferable to other users, I decided not to make the crafting system I had in mind. I could have just used the three given factories, the micro assembler and the capsule refinery, but things would have got messy really fast for the specific theme I had in mind (the crafting system was going to be part of a larger mod with more blocks, which required more factories).
    The only thing I could have used a new factory for was something of which the requirements and outputs were obvious, like a factory that gives you back a percentage of the items used in crafting a block.

Problem two was that the default recipe types in the micro assembler and capsule refinery aren't transferable via the custom config. That would have meant that I could only use them for intermediate steps in the crafting process, and those recipes aren't then allowed to have the same output as an input (to avoid vicious circles).
    This problem can be avoided by just using the normal config, but that is a rather large config file and it doesn't survive updates.

Judging by your other thread you are kind of new to this. I'm not such a big expert myself but I have made two custom crafting systems before, which has given me more than average experience in this kind of thing, so if you need some help feel free to contact me one way or another (but via the docks of course).
    Ps: you don't seem to be making any new blocks, so as long as you stick to the 3 given factories you will be fine. I found that that kind of limits you in what you can do though, but that could just be me.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You want to play Factorio. Starmade is mostly combat game, if you suggest anything that isn't combat prepare for shitposts. There is, in fact, a 3d factorio out there with a space theme I think...

TBH though I agree with you, crafting is kinda boring. I'm also more for extra decorative blocks

For example, mesh crystal and PILOTS CHAIR equals one core.
    Starmade could be more than just a combat game. Shooting down ways for it to become a game for factory builders as well is not going to help that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe for the default game there could be a more advanced system that is a bit more efficient than a normal factory? Even if a factory only uses 1% less resources the increase would still be noticeable due to the large amounts of materials get processed. 5-10% would of course be a lot better and more balanced, but you get the general idea.

I just realised something... I forgot to say how much I like the initiative Byamarro is showing. It truly is lovely to see that there are some people who feel that crafting could be done in way like this and still be fun.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The Thing is starmade crafting though rich in pieces is boring in what to combine to get x basically you have all 3 factories a capsule thing and a microwhatever and you can produce anything with a few steps.

now that is different to another game we all might know and like Log-Wood-stick+String -> bow all these items mean something
    in starmade it is more like metal mesh -> turns to x done / boring

Reaction score
    Tone doesn't travel well over text.
    For future reference, read all of my posts in the voice of a drunk or slightly stoned man working class man from the UK. Accordion to my friends, that's what I sound like...

Should've put a /s there, that's what Redditors do but I don't know if it's an internet thing or just a Reddit thing.

I always read your posts in a Niko Bellic/Russian/slav accent cause of the 'F*ck Chechens Butterfly' avatar.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The issue with crafting and making it more complicated is there is no way for us to easily visualize a recipe or what components are needed for blocks. In Minecraft we are forced to draw out the recipe with the parts in a table. In starmade its drag and drop. I am not suggesting this is the key, as it is kind of out of place when dealing with complicated machinery. I think there needs to be a change to crafting and I think it could get more complicated. The solution has yet to come I think. It would certainly be different than what we have currently.

Hell just while typing this I came up with an idea. How about an interface for block creation. For example. All the weapons can be created from this one interface. ALL of the weapons use a standardized casing. The casing is placed in the interface. Kind of "plugged in" Things like a power converter or something goes in too. Then we take parts that correspond to different weapons to finish the individual recipes. Beams would have "cool crystal focus thing" and Cannons would get "antimatter injection coils" or something crazy. Having an actual interface that we dropped parts into would be great imo. Much easier to learn than *drop one of these random and non-unique crystals/ore into a box*. Keep in mind that was just an example. But damn I think that is actually kinda solid enough for me to come up with a mockup and see what other people think.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The issue with crafting and making it more complicated is there is no way for us to easily visualize a recipe or what components are needed for blocks. In Minecraft we are forced to draw out the recipe with the parts in a table. In starmade its drag and drop. I am not suggesting this is the key, as it is kind of out of place when dealing with complicated machinery. I think there needs to be a change to crafting and I think it could get more complicated. The solution has yet to come I think. It would certainly be different than what we have currently.

Hell just while typing this I came up with an idea. How about an interface for block creation. For example. All the weapons can be created from this one interface. ALL of the weapons use a standardized casing. The casing is placed in the interface. Kind of "plugged in" Things like a power converter or something goes in too. Then we take parts that correspond to different weapons to finish the individual recipes. Beams would have "cool crystal focus thing" and Cannons would get "antimatter injection coils" or something crazy. Having an actual interface that we dropped parts into would be great imo. Much easier to learn than *drop one of these random and non-unique crystals/ore into a box*. Keep in mind that was just an example. But damn I think that is actually kinda solid enough for me to come up with a mockup and see what other people think.
    I've played tekkit there is also much more automated crafting and it's very cool. Belive me. Try it if You didn't it's awesome Minecraft modpack.

The problem I faced when I came up with a similar idea was that I couldn't create any new factories. To do so I would have had to do some coding stuff, and since a) I din't know how to code java and b) that coding stuff wouldn't have been easily transferable to other users, I decided not to make the crafting system I had in mind. I could have just used the three given factories, the micro assembler and the capsule refinery, but things would have got messy really fast for the specific theme I had in mind (the crafting system was going to be part of a larger mod with more blocks, which required more factories).
    The only thing I could have used a new factory for was something of which the requirements and outputs were obvious, like a factory that gives you back a percentage of the items used in crafting a block.

Problem two was that the default recipe types in the micro assembler and capsule refinery aren't transferable via the custom config. That would have meant that I could only use them for intermediate steps in the crafting process, and those recipes aren't then allowed to have the same output as an input (to avoid vicious circles).
    This problem can be avoided by just using the normal config, but that is a rather large config file and it doesn't survive updates.

Judging by your other thread you are kind of new to this. I'm not such a big expert myself but I have made two custom crafting systems before, which has given me more than average experience in this kind of thing, so if you need some help feel free to contact me one way or another (but via the docks of course).
    Ps: you don't seem to be making any new blocks, so as long as you stick to the 3 given factories you will be fine. I found that that kind of limits you in what you can do though, but that could just be me.
    I want to create new blocks and new manufacturing items. Look and lens texture I posted in 1st post.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I've played tekkit there is also much more automated crafting and it's very cool. Belive me. Try it if You didn't it's awesome Minecraft modpack.
    I played tekkit and feed the beast regularly. In fact I can only now play Minecraft with those modpacks. Automated crafting is neat for somethings. Especially if you are willing to learn how to set up a system like that. But we should not force a new player to learn how to setup a sophisticated crafting process just to produce some essential blocks. Automated crafting can come in later when a player knows recipes and how mechanics work and I fully support it. Especially in a game like this where technology would enable this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I played tekkit and feed the beast regularly. In fact I can only now play Minecraft with those modpacks. Automated crafting is neat for somethings. Especially if you are willing to learn how to set up a system like that. But we should not force a new player to learn how to setup a sophisticated crafting process just to produce some essential blocks. Automated crafting can come in later when a player knows recipes and how mechanics work and I fully support it. Especially in a game like this where technology would enable this.
    Actually graphs are very clear IMHO to read.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let's propose better system. It's acutally one of best solutions I can imagine. Well items filter could be better made but overall is good.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Tiers of blocks (difficulty of craftings)(in progress)
    Tier I
    Decorative blocks, hulls, push pulse, atrotechnician, supply beams

Tier II
    Salvage cannons, Power Storage, Thrusters, Logic Circuits

Tier III
    Weapons, Standard Hulls, Drain beams, Power generators

Tier IV
    Shields|Supply/Dragin shields|Hardened Hulls

Tier V
    Jumpdrive/Teleportating Gates
    These will be kind of stages of development. Player/faction will go through all these stages until they will be enough powerfull for jumpdrives and Stargates.