StarOS Map (3D starmap for browser)

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hi, I've create a 3D starmap inspired from Eve online starmap (http://www.eveonline.com/universe/the-world-of-eve/) but redesigned for StarMade.

You can see an exemple of the starmap here and the code is availible here (readme in archive for more information).
    Any suggestion is welcome.
    I know my english is not realy good and if anyone want to help me for the wiki it's could be great, thanks.

Version: 0.5-rev00101

Wiki (construction)

Requierement:

Starmap usage:

• Maintain left clique allows you to rotate the map.
    • Maintain right clique allows you to move laterally the map.
    • Mouse wheel lets you zoom-in/zoom-out.
    • Maintain mouse wheel lets you zoom-in/zoom-out more quickly.
    • Space bar reset the camera position.
    • Left click on system (blue orb on first view) show you system's content.
    • Left click on entity show its information (name, type, position, sector, ...).
    • Right click pop button to show property window, you can change theme and police.
    • Mouse over system (blue orb on first view) show its coordinates.
    • Mouse over entity show its name.

Control box usage:

• Checkbox lets you show/hide type of entities on map.
    • Search format for sector and system must be 0,0,0 || 0.0.0 || 0_0_0 || 0 0 0
    • Search withe other lets you serch an entity by its real name or its unique id, example: ENTITY_SHIP_MOB_Isanth-VI_1392326517703_0 or Isanth-VI_1392326517703_0
      Generic names like Shop, Turret, Planet and Asteroid are not allowed, you must search for unique id ( Planet => ENTITY_PLANET_11_3_6_1392326584141).
    • Back button lets you go to previous view.
    • Systems button lets you go to initial view.
    • Button on the left of the box allow you to show/hide control box.

Login usage:

The StarOS_Login work with your StarMade id, informations on map are based on. If user is logged but his in-game pseudo does not match with his StarMade pseudo, user could not see his faction entities.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Setting this up now!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    ElwynEternity will soon be using this. Good work, you should post up some docs on the file formats used.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Out map seems to be.... too big for this. It crashes the average browser

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I was able to get the system working, http://elwyneternity.com/starmap/

(myusername) = gravypod

if you want to talk to me and debug this, email me at (myusername)@(myusername).com

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    In the first time I can try an other solution to generate database, it could reduce load time of the map.

After I\'ll explore other way to generate the entities and add an option to disable asteroid forme generation.

Furthermore, i want to implement login system that hide you all entities that are not in faction that are not yours.

ps: Google Chrome seem to be better than all other browser for running three.js library

(sorry for my poor english.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I already implemented the first thing you talked about, the server now responds with flatfile json versions of the database.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    in \"StarOS_Map.js\" you can add a type check in function initEntity() like i\'ve made for ship.

ps: have you a better respons with json file?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yes, using json-static files is much better and gives a much faster responce.

I have also added that check into the DB creation system. I am going to be throwing up the code I use on github in a little bit

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well, tomorrow i will correct this and i\'ll try to change generation, i\'ve found a hack on three.js (3D library) that let me reduce objects by two (if this hack works).

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Changelog:

• Migrate SQL database to json file
    • Improve 3D objects
    • Add option to show Asteroid

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I hope to see this in wide use soon and with it w/e improvements the community can add on.
    Great work!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like how you give it semi-perspective by resizing the icons when they get closer or further away.

It loads quickly in Firefox but makes FF quit after just a few moves in your dev universe. Chromium browser just shows the menu and FPS display with a white page, it never loads the map. In Google\'s Chrome it seems to work the best.

GravyPod\'s universe is so big, the screen is just filled with icons. This makes me wonder if your approach is scalable. There\'s no guide for the eyes, have you considered some kind of 3D grid? Or perhaps breaking the map into sectors and only showing one at a time with links to the next sector, like the in game map?

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    First, thinks for all your feedback and compliments.

Breaking the map into solar system seems to be a good idea, serctors have no much entities (generaly 1 by sector and few asteroids) and the starmap idea is to find quickly what you need. I\'ll work on this stuff today after my coffee ;)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Am I right in assuming this has to be run on the same computer as the server?

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    you need to have starmade file in the same computer to generate json file but once you have this files, you can run the starmap on an other computer. However ou need Apache dans PHP on each machine

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you look at my version, I was able to drop the ram usage from the average 1.2GB while looking at my map file, to ~300MB. It works well enought for now, it just needs some work on it to make it effecient.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    After some more editing, I was able to do the same map with a similar memory footprint. This version has no memory footprint

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Changelog:

• Add option debug to show or not fps
    • Improve texture loading with Gravypod\'s help
    • Improve setup with Gravypod\'s help

The StarOS_Map project was added to Github