Starmade Q&A

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    A few questions, here.

- What is the ultimate plan for the gameplay? It's rather obvious that lot of priority is put into battles where humongeous ships will take part, but how much will there be for exploration and survival fans? Will there be situations like risking being stranded in space after a battle, requiring use of evacuation pods etc to survive extended periods of time till the help - NPC or player-based will arrive?

- What are the plans for development in the closest future? Any roadmap/priorities for the next few versions (beside optimization and bugfixing which should be always a priority, I mean)?

- We start slowly moving into direction of player character being more than a medium for the player to interact with a ship, with the addition of stuff like personal firearms. How much developed ship-less gameplay is expected to be? How big importance will the characters have? Will bigger ships demand several members of the crew for maximum efficiency? Will there be a selection of different armors/weapons or maybe even an ability of modular design of equipment for all kinds of activities from boarding enemy ships through scouting to extended exploration?

- Regarding aforementioned survival, how many things will regular player have to worry about? Oxygen was mentioned and is a given, but what about other (possibly acidic/corrosive) elements in the atmosphere, food or water?

- What is the ideal extend of things players will be able to mess with in regards to AI and the game's world? NPC factions with different goals, quests, adventures? Will we have background fluff elements or Starmade is made to be completely sandbox experience?

- Which systems/features we can expect won't be further changed and which one may change dramatically? Things like all-direction propulsion blocks that can be installed anywhere vs actual thrusters or maybe even single-directional thrust requiring proper ship design so it will fly/turn in all required directions?

- Will there be a way to have centralized controls for internal ship subsystems? Things like remotely activating and manipulating (or even overwriting manual access to) not just lights or doors but emergency self-destruct systems, connected turrets etc?

- How regular Starmade workday looks like for different members of the team? In particular, Schema?
    Visitor,
    Wow, just wow, SUCH good questions, no repeats, and so many of them :D I'll do my best to get these answered to your satisfaction!

For now, I'd like to refer you to a video by Tomino_sama and Mushroom Fleet. They demo'd a new system being added to the game in this video https://www.youtube.com/watchv=AX0mKfQU4Sk&list=UUbJty39iOiBRkSAIo25uGwg
    this should answer your question about remote activation to a degree, but I will go into further detail on it in the Q&A, I promise.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is there plans for a sign block?

What is the ETA on the weapons update?

What is the ETA on a balanced economy?

What's the ETA of warp gates/ hyperdrive/FTL?

We have yet so see some of the promised features, like weapons and
    FTL, When will the team move from asthetic changes to more gameplay
    changes?

What changes do you have in mind to make the gameplay more engaging?
    I dont mean simple functions like warp gates, weapons and round planets. How do you intend to
    incorporate players who may want to play as a pirate, vs those that
    want to build an empire?

The focus on large ships is really boring in terms of a diverse
    universe, How do you intend to balance ship size?

How do you intend to compete with the popularity of Space Engineers?

Why are updates few and far between? The 0.14 update was nice and I'm
    sure it took a long a while, but It seems that in the early
    releases of the game updates were still more frequent.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Are you planning on extending the advanced build mode (while holding control)?
    I.e.;
    adding fill area (select two points and between then the area will be filled),
    smart fill (place blocks but do not go through ship hull?),
    pattern placing (drawing a pattern then turning the drawing into blocks and place it, resize, scale, etc?),
    polygon placement with advanced options? (place a few blocks as "beacons" and select to make a polygon filled or not filled, not go through ship hull or go through ship hull, etc?),
    copy/paste/ctr+z ?

and a customizable color light block, on which you RIGHT CLICK in inventory and select an RGB color? so all colors will be possible. (also the same for all normal blocks?)

Will there be any scripting available on the server to create custom modes? (please don't use LUA, use AngelScript or just Java ? - because lua is VERY different from Java and AngelScript is Java like or use Java to extend the game, please, I beg you for the sake of consistency, switching between LUA/JAVA is.. weird. there are many other and better alternatives to LUA which go along with Java pretty good)

Will it be possible to script a totally custom server, like in GTA San Andreas Multiplayer?

If a object rams/hits another object the rammed object will stop after a certain time, will there be an option to disable the current "artificial/imaginary friction"?

Also, instead of scripts, will there be plugins available (made in C++ or C or Java) and an SDK?

Will there be an official external editor like SMEdit (which is unofficial?)?

Reactions: blurb357 and AssIn9
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1. Will there be an implementation of further and more unique encounters? For instance distress beacons that hide an ambush, or derelict shipwrecks infested with parasites or temporal anomalies such as a crippling invisible field that short-circuits entire vessels.
    2. Will formations be an option with AI Fleets, if so will we be able to customize it or are there some default patterns?
    3. Will the concept of stars be expanded upon? Not just in size and color but also in it's action. Think Dyson Spheres and Mass Coronal Ejections.
    4. Can we expect modding to be accessible to the novice gamer, or will it be limited to those with extensive knowledge and skills in script-works?
    5. Are we expecting a profound customization of characters? Perhaps by having a larger range of default models available or perhaps having the ability to customize the model itself, this also includes the personal weapon and block-breaking tool.

Reactions: AssIn9
    Reaction score
    What are the plans for small arms (hand held weapons)? What will the mechanics be like? Will we be able to make our own?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Wow, just wow, SUCH good questions, no repeats, and so many of them :D I'll do my best to get these answered to your satisfaction!
    Glad to hear that. I look forward to the answers and promise to check the video you've linked soon.

Reaction score
    What is going to happen with natural economy, and by that I mean how easyit is to get resources.

Will we see bigger asteroids?

Whats going to happen if we dint pay when its pay to llay, as alpha players will we get to play still, but with limited options?

More weapons?

Reaction score
    What to you plan for the universe generation overhaul?
    1. More condensed asteroid fields? (Great for when collision damage comes)
    2. Abandoned ships taken from the catalog with loot and monsters inside? (Like the late 90's Lost in Space Movie)
    3. Black holes? (Literally just pulls you in)
    4. Better Space stations? (Abandoned, Pirate NPC, Infested with monsters, booby-trapped to blow, with perma cloak so you literally run into them)
    5. Debris fields, graveyards of old battles?
    6. Differing planet sizes?
    7. Gas giants?
    8. Moons?
    9. Rings? (probably not physical, just a particle effect)
    10. Better asteroid generation algorithm? (Not that the current ones are terrible)
    11. Less homogeneity? (Scattered "safer" areas with shops, factions, some basic "we saw you do that" police faction or bounty system, civilization basically. Outside that is pirates and savagery, everything goes. Big bucks in making trade missions between those safe havens. Some ores are rare in certain systems forcing exploration and trade)
    12. Random and very rare "space anomalies" that give off the beacon of a shop or station? (Could, teleport you and your ship somewhere strange, change all the hulls on your ship a different color, spawn you on a random planet, cut your ship in half, remove all of a certain block, trigger all of the logic gates on your ship, etc, etc.)
    13. NPCs that inhabit asteroids?
    14. NPCs that just float around space? (Space Whale!)
    15. Sun Gravity?
    16. Magnitars? (Effect example in stages of effect from far away to close: Kills radar, kills all HUD and Missile Targeting, Activates all Logic connections randomly, Kills lights, Kills all Logic connections, Kills all weapons and cloaks, light star gravity, kills activation of any block besides core, kills engine, strong gravity, aforementioned blocks begin to blow up, kills gravity system, normal hull damage, HP and NPC death.)
    17. Remnants of blown up planets? (A sphere of asteroids)
    Sorry It's such a long list, my imagination gets away from me.

Reaction score
    The biggest questions I have...
    1) Will we ever get to make disentigrator block missiles that work? (Suicide mode on Bobby AI?)
    2) The new HP system... How would it work? Are all the blocks lumped together to formulate a "MAX HP" ?
    2a) Does this mean if I take a massive cannon and shoot at a little plex light extended off the ship there's a potential to overheat the core?
    3) Im not sure if this is currently implemented but will there be a way to link small un manned drone fighters to a carrier so that one doesn't need to throw a pricey faction module on it just to keep it from shooting the carrier that launched said drone?

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Will StarMade:
    1) Add new blocks that:
    1.1 Rotation of other blocks like a gear block, why?
    1.1.1 Will be used for wheels for ground vehicles, mechs etc.
    1.1.2 Has other mechanics to the game.

2) Add FTL or Warp?

3) Water and Lava Physics on a gravity of a planet or simulated gravity.

4) Make the sectors bigger or long in km, why?
    4.1 helps make a home base easier to build with large docked ships with many members in a faction.
    4.2 Small sector size with a large base with many ships causes rendering bugs and lag.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Those are my questions. More Power Schema and StarMade!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    1) Are there plans for any sort of mechanical blocks?
    And furthering that question, which sort will be added?
    • Simple translation/rotation for cosmetic effect only (revealing glowing bits, exposing missile bays) that has no physics/gameplay effect?
    • Translation blocks?
    • Activateble rotation blocks?
    • Ability to move/rotate part of a ship, without it being a separate entity?
    • Ability to move/rotate weapon outputs, docked ships, weapon outputs?
    • Ability to propel a ship using mechanical blocks
    2) Are there any plans to implement special, unique powerup blocks that can be added to ships to increase stats?

3) Has any work been done in regards to new energy mechanics?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've just got two questions since everyone else already posted a bunch of great ones.

Will break-off be stable in the near future? After a dozen or so pieces, my game crashes and when I come back the parts turn into really bad looking asteroids. Calbiri, I remember in a thread on the old site, you elaborated on some possible ideas for optimization. Now, I know that was just some possible ideas on your part, but I thought they were pretty damn good and I still think it is a really cool mechanic that deserves some attention.

When are we going to be able to move our ship core's position? I find starting a ship build is significantly harder than completing one because of planning around where to put the thing. It would save a ton of time and trouble for all players if we could just move it. Or better yet if we can enter from cockpits or other types of blocks, and hide the core inside a chunk of armor or something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is concerning the Website not the game its self. Perhaps you all should add a Steam Identity under your Contact Details. Either way Keep up the wonder work. Love the new planets and logic blocks. The Website is beautiful too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If there would be a faction points system and claiming planets/sectors would cost some of these points, what would be a reason and advantage of claiming anything besides home sector? Ability to build portal/shipyard (if implemented)? Or something else?

Are there going to be any official polls, i.e. about new mechanics in game, so You (the Devs) could know how the Community feels about specific topic? Or the forum is big enough source of knowledge?

The Starmade is developed as game being mostly enjoyable for its challenging-achieving or creating-sharing part? More like Eve with custom ships (and most of things in game) or minecraft in space?
    I'm asking because i'm curious :)

EDIT:

Would the Devs rather see different types of specialized ships in game (miners, transporters, carriers, fighters, etc.) or ships all-in-one?

What are the ideas of making small fighters more important (now it's bigger=better)?

If the FTL's going to be implemented, could You greatly slow down massive ships? So the battles could be fought without changing the sectors in a few seconds? Also it'd add the immersion of ships being really heavy.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DarthHonky
    Reaction score
    I would just like to ask this, but for the faction points, I like building on planets, so why would I spend 10x more points on a 6mil block earth planet, in current disc form, I may spend, just say 6000 points for 6mil blocks that I sont even use all of most of which hidden, and that would encourage people to use build block to hollow out a planet.

Reaction score
    Will the dodecahedron planets be filled with blocks eventually and not be hollow? Or have a lava core with precious materials? And to lead up to that, maybe if you get within 2 blocks from lava, you start taking some damage?

Reaction score
    When are we going to be able to move our ship core's position? I find starting a ship build is significantly harder than completing one because of planning around where to put the thing. It would save a ton of time and trouble for all players if we could just move it. Or better yet if we can enter from cockpits or other types of blocks, and hide the core inside a chunk of armor or something.
    Attn. Devs: This. This right here. For the sake of all that is holy, we need this.
    Also, when will we see NPC quests and AI crewmembers that do anything?
    And will we ever be able to put plexlifters on our ships?

Last edited:
    Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Will the dodecahedron planets be filled with blocks eventually and not be hollow? Or have a lava core with precious materials? And to lead up to that, maybe if you get within 2 blocks from lava, you start taking some damage?
    i actually prefere them being hollow - mainly so they won't lag :P

Reaction score
    and a customizable color light block, on which you RIGHT CLICK in inventory and select an RGB color? so all colors will be possible. (also the same for all normal blocks?)
    RGB selection for blocks was covered in the last Q&A and most likely won't be implemented due to memory constraints. ;)

Will StarMade:
    1) Add new blocks that:
    1.1 Rotation of other blocks like a gear block, why?
    1.1.1 Will be used for wheels for ground vehicles, mechs etc.
    1.1.2 Has other mechanics to the game.

2) Add FTL or Warp?

3) Water and Lava Physics on a gravity of a planet or simulated gravity.

4) Make the sectors bigger or long in km, why?
    All this was covered in the first Q&A too. ;)
    - The functionality to move a vehicle along the ground was mentioned and is possible.
    - FTL is planned and was talked about extensively (Jump Gates, Worm Holes, Superluminal and Hyperspace).
    - Water and Lava will get flowing and source blocks like Minecraft (although the ones we have now will be kept as "simulation blocks" so as not to ruin builds that have used them for lighting).
    - Sectors are planned to be bigger. ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.