Starmade is boring

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    But what if after a certain ammout the more you have the more efficiency you lose? I mean, you'd have the shields less powerful than the current ratio, so a smaller ship would have a bigger chance of damaging the bigger ships, unless a shitload of turrets. Also, got another idea. Link.
    That's how the current system is scaled already. Different modules work a bit differently, but they all use exponents. Weapons, for instance, deal damage according to the square-root of the number of modules.

If 1 modules = 1 damage:

+ 3 modules = 4 total = 2 damage
    + 5 modules = 9 total = 3 damage
    + 7 modules = 16 total = 4 damage
    + 9 modules = 25 total = 5 damage
    + 11 modules = 36 total = 6 damage

The game already has a point of diminishing returns for large-scale entities, and the devs have said that they don't plan to change the math for weapons again (though that was nearly a year ago). I'm sure they will take a better look at big vs. small ships with the HP update.

Perhaps off-topic but may i suggest to our lovely dev's to implement a class system (everyone has their own..) but a generall one
    that affects the shipcore/cockpit and not structure?
    I think something like this would be great. It's been suggested before (long ago), so there are other people who agree too. I think it would make more sense to have a class auto-assigned based upon what you built, rather than be something you choose before building. Look at mass, weapon modules, effect modules, etc. and then determine:
    1) a class for size [super light, light, medium, heavy, super heavy, etc.] and
    2) a class for components [civilian, miner, fighter, utility, etc.]

This gives us a Super-light Fighter, a Heavy Fighter, a Light Transport, a Heavy Miner, etc. Then when a player locks on to a ship (or sees them in the navigation window) they can tell at a glance what that ship is like. It would be easier to find targets, or figure out which ships to avoid.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That's how the current system is scaled already. Different modules work a bit differently, but they all use exponents. Weapons, for instance, deal damage according to the square-root of the number of modules.

If 1 modules = 1 damage:

+ 3 modules = 4 total = 2 damage
    + 5 modules = 9 total = 3 damage
    + 7 modules = 16 total = 4 damage
    + 9 modules = 25 total = 5 damage
    + 11 modules = 36 total = 6 damage

The game already has a point of diminishing returns for large-scale entities, and the devs have said that they don't plan to change the math for weapons again (though that was nearly a year ago). I'm sure they will take a better look at big vs. small ships with the HP update.
    I dont know where you got that from, but that is not how weapons currently scale.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I dont know where you got that from, but that is not how weapons currently scale.
    The formula I was refering to is:
    Damage per shot = SQRT(2560 * blocks equivalent)

which can be found here: http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Cannon_Barrel :as of 5-25-2015.

I know that the numbers I used are not the numbers seen in the game. I didn't want to have to take the time to make an excel sheet to prove a point. I was using small numbers so that it would be easy to visualize the diminishing returns of the SQRT(2560 * blocks equivalent) formula.

Here is the table I was trying to avoid having to make:
    Notice that the amount of weapon modules always increases by the same number, but that the DPS does not always increase by the same number. Numbers are rounded.

upload_2015-5-25_15-18-52.png

Point being diminishing returns as a means of balancing out/discouraging large ships is already in-game.

Reaction score
    Still, the current equation can be modified so the curve's peak is much closer to 1...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432586122,1432585920][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Here is the table I was trying to avoid having to make:
    Notice that the amount of weapon modules always increases by the same number, but that the DPS does not always increase by the same number. Numbers are rounded.

View attachment 12162

Point being diminishing returns as a means of balancing out/discouraging large ships is already in-game.
    The only missing thing is the table column called "damage per module"... which would a rather important one, I think...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Cannon_Barrel
    Thats very outdated, and not even the official wiki -.-
    http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Weapon_Systems#Tables

Currently its 5 DPS per Block of the weapon, this includes slave and effect module blocks, only exceptions being Missile+Pulse with 1.875 DPS per Block, and Pulse weapons with 0.5 DPS per Block.

That means for example:
    1 Cannon Barrel = 5 DPS
    20 Cannon Barrels = 100 DPS
    20 Cannon Barrels + 10 Damage Beam Modules = 150 DPS
    20 Cannon Barrels + 20 Cannon Barrels + 20 Effect Modules = 300 DPS

So you might want to relearn the current scaling and weapon systems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Outdated? Shame on me. :(

In which case I call to have diminishing returns re-instated. Sorry for the mix-up.

Reaction score
    And by boring I mean everything besides building ships. For the moment and since I began playing this game (before yogcast) starmade is only a sandbox game.
    I like building ships and that's why I still play starmade, but once you're done with your ship you have nothing else (entertaining) to do unless building another ship.

And that's not only what I think but also what a lot of my friends who play (and stopped for this reason) starmade think. I'm not hating on starmade, I like this game otherwise I wouldn't be writing this.

The biggest problem in my opinion, starmade lacks things to do (other than building). We need bounties on random NPC ships, trading routes (that you can see on the map) between shops which makes you able to make profit, NPC ships on these routes that you can attack to get some of their cargo and salvage their ships, NPC factions controlling some areas that you could be friend or enemy with giving you something relatively to your status with them (for example if you're friends you could have better prices on some ressources but it could also make you unable to be friend with another faction which they are enemy with, etc), better mining (no more recharge time on salvage, more (interesting) places to mine, etc), a better crafting system (this one is hard to understand, I still don't get it all and I play for more than 2 years), a real economy (that's very important), improved planets (a lot of suggestions on that already), etc...

This kind of improvements should be added as a priority, I'm not saying rails are bad (actually I love them) but this problem needs to be solved before adding other content. If you're interested in interesting ways (and more elaborated) to solve this problem you can also check an old suggestion of mine (link or spoiler, if you check the link be sure to read replies which are very interesting).

Hello, I play starmade for a while now and I really like the game because of all the creation possibilities. After talking with my friends and other starmade players we all think its main problem is you have nothing to do once you built your ship (that's why 90% of the people stop playing), even in multiplayer mode you have no real reason to attack another player.

So before talking about balances and stuff why don't you fix this problem first ? We have to give players a real goal other than building a 3 million blocks capital ship. Here below you'll find a possible solution to fix this problem (which gives more sence to the whole game by the way), of course we're still able to improve/change it but here's the main idea :

Ever think of going on pirate raids. I admit the planetary fauna isn't challenging yet but I heard they are working in that. I think they ought to have yetis, and ice wolves and maybe even some sort of alien crustacean on ice planets as a player verses environment thing, with and option to tame or kill the creatures. Have you got any ideas on cridders they could put on the planets to make the game more fun. Don't complain unless you have an Idea to make things better.

Instead of appearing in the middle of nowhere when first joining you should begin the game on a empty planet (if you're playing multiplayer with a friend you could start in the same one, or you also could join an already inhabited planet with the planet's owner autorisation).

Of course planets will have to be improved a lot because actually they are not really interesting. First of all they should be double-faced (just add a indestructible layer in the middle so there's not any gravity problem), adding fauna to the planet is also important (agressive or passive civilisations and monsters), each planet should be different and have special things other don't have (unique flora, minerals, places to explore) but every planet should have the main minerals you'll use to craft main things (which I'll explain herebelow).

Once you spawned you'll be free to build your base so you can protect yourself from agressive monsters/civilisations. A diplomatic aspect could be very good, for example you would be able to choose between make peace with another civilisation on your planet (this way you're able to trade with them or ask for help) or destroy them (this way you steal all their ressources).

You won't be able to explore space from the beginning, you'll have to craft all the components to make your ship from your planet's ressources. Before you explore space you should be comfortable on your planet (you've explored most of your planet, your defences are good enough to keep monsters away, etc), we can imagine different tech-tiers in which you'll be able to progress, for example : At the beginning to defend yourself you'll have to use ballistic technology and later in the game you'll be able to use plasma weapons, etc..

[OPTIONAL] Power-managing should be added to the game, actually power comes from nowhere (SD HCT xm3.4) but you should have different types of energy. I understand everyone don't want to fill their ships with some kind of fuel, that's why we can keep solar energy as the infinite one, however its recharge rate will depend on the distance from the solar panels to the closer star (and not-infinite energies should be better (but not needed for all kind of ships) than solar one of course).

Other types of energies (fuel-like ones) should be found on planets, this way you'll have a reason to attack or to colonize other planets (energy-wars) and players will be able to trade fuels for money or whatever they want. Of course to extract or produce the type of energy you want you'll have to use the correct machines and power them. [/OPTIONAL]

The energy aspect of the game (see above) would be very interesting because it would give players a real reason to attack or trade with other ones. Energy is optional but if you don't add this you must add something similar, something all players need but can't have that easily, because if everyone can have everything with no effort there is no reason to attack your neighboors or to trade with them (and having no interactions with other players in a online game is senceless and very boring).

I think you get the point, if you need some clarifications or you want to debate about this idea feel free to post below :) !