Starmade interest through the years

Reaction score
    I don't really care who plays and who doesn't. What you want isn't what everyone wants so sorry but I'm never going to spend my time harassing Schine to make your ideal game. I'm also sick of coming on to this forums and people are arguing and being angry over nothing. Schine didn't screw anyone out of anything. If you don't like the game there's nothing to be angry about. Whats the point of going all over the forum to moan about how the game is dying or whatever. It's so damn pointless.

G

GDPR 302420

What you want isn't what everyone wants so sorry but I'm never going to spend my time harassing Schine to make your ideal game
    So wanting this game to be successfull is not what everyone else wants?

Schine didn't screw anyone out of anything.
    Subjective viewpoint

Whats the point of going all over the forum to moan about how the game is dying or whatever
    Because as I said before, I want this game to be successfull, so rather then leave like the fanboys tell everyone who dares to challenge their "schine-can-do-no-wrong" narrative to, I will continue to voice my concerns.

If you don't like being around people who do not 100% agree with you and would voice their side of a debate that conflicts with your own, perhaps you should take your own advice?
    [doublepost=1506652934,1506651877][/doublepost]My ideal game is the same game as everyone else, my issues are that:

1. The Schine whitenights/defenders response to criticism of this game is "just leave" which is unwelcoming to newer players who have an opinion that isnt "omagard Schine is the perfect developer and this game is the best in the world and if you say otherwise you should leave this community" This attitude is a one of the driving forces that is killing this game.
    2. Schine has thrown out development time again and again, examples of this include: The fleet competition (Systems 2.0 makes everything submitted and accepted redundant, wasting community and development time), Systems 2.0 (They have spent 6 years building and balancing off 1.0, only to throw it all out, effectivly undoing 6 years of balancing and development), NPC assets (Systems 2.0 makes all the NPC faction builds redundant, they didnt even finish building most of them until all that work got thrown out when Systems 2.0 was announced), Logic Drive Balancing (developers have been spending several months patching "exploit powered" clocks, balancing logic signals and such specificly so that Logic Drives would not be totaly broken like they once were, then they have announced that this is being thrown out and replaced with chamber effects for Systems 2.0, throwing out all development time spent on it)
    3. Schine has not been listening to the community. Go look at the suggestions subforum, the more then 90% of all threads have not even be read by Schine or CIR, including some threads which have been very popular.

Its got nothing to do with "StarMade isnt my game therfor its bad" unlike what you are trying to imply Comradecolonel

Maybe you should consider getting an actual counter-argument instead of this strawman splurge?

Reaction score
    I have no problem with people having an opinion. My opinion is that there is a difference between voicing your concerns and trying to change everyone's opinion. You are trying to out argue everyone on the forum in an effort to prove you are right. Nobody wants to change their minds. I'm tired of people arguing about the same things over and over. All I was doing was stating my opinion. You can do what ever you want.

If you don't like being around people who do not 100% agree with you and would voice their side of a debate that conflicts with your own, perhaps you should take your own advice?
    What I don't like is how you insist on lumping me and anyone who disagrees with you into a single category. As if what Schine has done is so egregious and wrong that anybody who defends it is a blind fanboy. I have my disagreements on where Starmade is headed to some degree but I am still interested in it's development. I see nothing to gain from sitting here and trying to win over Schine by mowing down the many minion fanboys. What is the point of speaking like that when you want people to agree with you?

G

GDPR 302420

What I don't like is how you insist on lumping me and anyone who disagrees with you into a single category. As if what Schine has done is so egregious and incorrect that anybody who defends it is a blind fanboy. I have my disagreements on where Starmade is headed to some degree but I am still interested in it's development. I see nothing to gain from sitting here and trying to win over Schine by mowing down the many minion fanboys. What is the point of speaking like that when you want people to agree with you?
    You can defend Schine against mine or anyone else criticism without fanboying them.

You don't seem to be a blind fanboy, but you certantly have the same attitude to criticism as them.

Go do something else with your time if Starmade doesn't hold your interest any more.
    [doublepost=1506676963,1506676180][/doublepost]
    Six years, same old song and dance.
    This is a key point about the "Its alpha" excuse.

The classic "Its alpha" excuse is not valid is because this game is falling behind in almost all aspects when compared to games that work.

One such game is Avorion.

• Development of Avorion started out as one guy, just like StarMade, then it grew into 3 people, two coders and one music composer.
    • It has a better building system then StarMade (more shapes to chose from, ability to customise the snap grid for block placement and the abiliyt to change the size of any shape avaliable on all axis)
    • It has much the same size universe as StarMade (in terms of what is played "technically" StarMade has a larger universe but gameplay on both MP and singleplayer is confined to the "spawn galaxy")
    • It has much better NPC AI
    • Much more developed and varied NPC factions
    • NPCs are proceedualy generated as well and are not limited to prefabs built by the developers
    • Its much less laggy in terms of both FPS and server-client latency
    • Actual resource progression
    • An actualy storyline that makes singeplayer at least somewhat fun (yes, I am aware some will say SP is fun and I will happily say this particular point is subjective)
    • It has only been in development for 4 years as opposed to StarMade's 6 years.

When StarMade is compared to other alpha games with similar development processes (time spent on development, size of dev team etc etc) you start to relise that other alpha games that are very comparable to StarMade are faring way better in StarMade in almost every aspect.

Which is why "Its alpha" is no longer a valid excuse to sweep all criticism under the rug, because it hasnt stopped other, similar games with similar sized dev teams from having more content, being much more stable and in general being more fun.

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    Stop acting like a demanding child who insists on presents from his parents. This is not a wish-concert. You can _suggest_ to Schema to make the company bigger, but you can't force him to by complaining again and again. This is a real grown person and you have to respect the decisions he makes. It's alpha is no excuse i give you that you are right. But it is just the way it is, and complaining over things that are set in stone and can't be changedd and arguing over like 4 pages really is a little demanding mate.

edit: is there any idiom for "Wunschkonzert"?

Last edited:
    G

GDPR 302420

Stop acting like a demanding child who insists on presents from his parents.
    This seems to be a reccuring theme with the Schema Defence Squad when this game comes under criticism.

(IMG removed By SMD Staff -bait-)

[doublepost=1506687221,1506685346][/doublepost]
    What I don't like is how you insist on lumping me and anyone who disagrees with you into a single category.
    Correct, I do catagorise people who disagree with me into a single catagory.

That catagory is called "People who disagree with me"

Of course, I never attack "people who disagree with me" as a group, I would rather attack the individual arguments themselves with my own counter-arguments (which is normaly responded to with some ad homenim argument that completely ignores my counter-argument)

There is only one group I will catagory I will happily attack as a group, that group is called "Fanboys"

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    the game isn't meant to thrive just yet as the devs want a small manageable community during the time of alpha development, maybe when beta hits they will advertise the game and sell it out for more players to come flood in.
    This game was designed to attract 100's of players and slowly bleed them to a tiny fraction over the years? That's an interesting take on it.

Reactions: silverfoe
    Reaction score
    This game was designed to attract 100's of players and slowly bleed them to a tiny fraction over the years? That's an interesting take on it.
    Iirc they said that it would be best to keep the player count down for now since they don't want to publicise the game and its all broken and lackluster. Can't remember where I saw this though.

Reactions: JumpSuit

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    The game was designed for long term development just like Minecraft is. The game never was ment to "attract 100's of players and slowly bleed them to a tiny fraction over the years". The difference here is minecraft isn't alpha like it was, this game still is, for good reason too. As it is unfinished! :^D

Reaction score
    The game was designed for long term development just like Minecraft is. The game never was ment to "attract 100's of players and slowly bleed them to a tiny fraction over the years". The difference here is minecraft isn't alpha like it was, this game still is, for good reason too. As it is unfinished! :^D
    I would however prefer that theres a bit more players right now. What is it? 5? players sometimes you see on the most popular server. It's very boring, would rather play singleplayer.

G

GDPR 302420

Again, using the old "Its in alpha" excuse/response stopped being valid a long time ago.

Also, there is no such thing as "Being designed" for long term development.

A game needing long term development isnt a result of it being designed that way, its a byproduct of a game having "more then the average game", a game constantly changing its course of development which throws out all previous work of the devs simply being slow.

Ideally a game needing a long time should be avoided (like with any project, not just video games) but sometimes its necessary.

But from what has been demonstrated, StarMade does not "need" this much time and it seems a larger factor to the long time its taking is that the developers are making sudden, unplanned changes that throw out months or even years of development.

The classic "Its alpha" excuse is not valid is because this game is falling behind in almost all aspects when compared to games that work.

One such game is Avorion.

• Development of Avorion started out as one guy, just like StarMade, then it grew into 3 people, two coders and one music composer.
    • It has a better building system then StarMade (more shapes to chose from, ability to customise the snap grid for block placement and the abiliyt to change the size of any shape avaliable on all axis)
    • It has much the same size universe as StarMade (in terms of what is played "technically" StarMade has a larger universe but gameplay on both MP and singleplayer is confined to the "spawn galaxy")
    • It has much better NPC AI
    • Much more developed and varied NPC factions
    • NPCs are proceedualy generated as well and are not limited to prefabs built by the developers
    • Its much less laggy in terms of both FPS and server-client latency
    • Actual resource progression
    • An actualy storyline that makes singeplayer at least somewhat fun (yes, I am aware some will say SP is fun and I will happily say this particular point is subjective)
    • It has only been in development for 4 years as opposed to StarMade's 6 years.

When StarMade is compared to other alpha games with similar development processes (time spent on development, size of dev team etc etc) you start to relise that other alpha games that are very comparable to StarMade are faring way better in StarMade in almost every aspect.

Which is why "Its alpha" is no longer a valid excuse to sweep all criticism under the rug, because it hasnt stopped other, similar games with similar sized dev teams from having more content, being much more stable and in general being more fun.

Reactions: Arkudo and JumpSuit

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Again, using the old "Its in alpha" excuse/response stopped being valid a long time ago.

Also, there is no such thing as "Being designed" for long term development.

A game needing long term development isnt a result of it being designed that way, its a byproduct of a game having "more then the average game", a game constantly changing its course of development which throws out all previous work of the devs simply being slow.

Ideally a game needing a long time should be avoided (like with any project, not just video games) but sometimes its necessary.

But from what has been demonstrated, StarMade does not "need" this much time and it seems a larger factor to the long time its taking is that the developers are making sudden, unplanned changes that throw out months or even years of development.
    Makes sense, with your P.O.V in mind, the game that comes to mind is Duke Nukem Forever with the Devs changing game engines and different revisions of said game.

Reactions: Erth Paradine
    G

GDPR 302420

Makes sense, with your P.O.V in mind, the game that comes to mind is Duke Nukem Forever with the Devs changing game engines and different revisions of said game.
    StarMade's development does remind me of that Duke Nukem game now that you mention it.

Its good to see that at least someone is willing to respond to my statements with something that isnt some ad hominem crap lol

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    StarMade's development does remind me of that Duke Nukem game now that you mention it.

Its good to see that at least someone is willing to respond to my statements with something that isnt some ad hominem crap lol
    I got you my fam!
    [doublepost=1506698900,1506698598][/doublepost]To conclude this thread's subject: silverfoe the game's interest is 5/100 on the scale of interest rate. Simple as that, maybe even lower. The game has taking multiple turns for the better or worse? That is subjective to the say the least. IF and when Beta hits there will most certainly be a gearshift in the Developers Circle. All we can do is 'Jump the Gun' and wait.

G

GDPR 302420

A curious pattern: those who argue in defense are usually "newer" players, observing the account creations...
    I noticed that too, I guess you only start to relies this game and its community is in deep shit when you have been playing for about 4 years haha

Reaction score

So these trailers were made to tell the people "Go away! Dont play our game!"? Maybe the developers don't want more players right now, idk. But that has been different in the past for sure. Also i still dont get what would be so bad about having like 300-500 active players instead of ~100. Im not talking about thousands of players or about those hyped kids from yogscast, but I'm missing players that have been there for years since the first steps of this wonderful game. Players that ive had hundreds of hours of fun with in multiplayer. And i haven't seen them online for months by now. Some of the once most popular servers have simply vanished or are empty 24/7. Many youtubers producing StarMade related content stopped or moved on. These are bad signs for someone who has been enjoying StarMade's Multiplayer since the early days of the game and I really hope that this is just some temporary downtime because of people waiting for the new power and weapon system.

Reaction score
    Just for fun, rate this post Funny if your opinion has changed at all, and Disagree if it has not been changed by this discussion.

Just a neat little social experiment for people to realize what happens when almost completely subjective phrases are traded back and forth along with ad hominem (AKA insults) and salt.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

So these trailers were made to tell the people "Go away! Dont play our game!"? Maybe the developers don't want more players right now, idk. But that has been different in the past for sure. Also i still dont get what would be so bad about having like 300-500 active players instead of ~100. Im not talking about thousands of players or about those hyped kids from yogscast, but I'm missing players that have been there for years since the first steps of this wonderful game. Players that ive had hundreds of hours of fun with in multiplayer. And i haven't seen them online for months by now. Some of the once most popular servers have simply vanished or are empty 24/7. Many youtubers producing StarMade related content stopped or moved on. These are bad signs for someone who has been enjoying StarMade's Multiplayer since the early days of the game and I really hope that this is just some temporary downtime because of people waiting for the new power and weapon system.
    Comparing these two trailers really shows how far the game has come... Even though development does not always take the right turn for someones liking overall i think it really turned into something better.... The thing is lot's of the "rage" is mere frustration of people really liking the game comparing this with toxic - does not doe most of the "ragers" justice. neither does blind fanboism. The Starmade community is very versatile on all these aspects... as some people mentioned people are often lurking here for quite a while all hoping for the next patch to fix stuff knowing well it hasn't happened before the last 20 times don't worry somewhen it hopefully will be solved... it is riding a journey at crawling speeds but hey still, enjoy the ride guys...