Starmade interest through the years

G

GDPR 302420

Guess you'd better stop kicking a dead horse, then, because you look like just that if you actually believe the game is doomed to die while still logging in just to inform everyone else. And no, there isn't an uphill slope all the way home, so you don't need your parents to pick you up if they dropped you off at high school by mistake.
    Then by all means, the door is right over there, leave.
    Listen m8, your cool and all, but the most simple solution to your problem, is to, quite bluntly, 'fuck off'

If the forum and game is giving you as much grief as you make it out to be, just leave m8, nobodies in your way.
    Responses like this are part of the problem.

"Just leave" is the most non-productive and counter-intuitive thing you can say to concerns about the game. I've paid money for this game. I've spent enough time in this dying game that I could count it for an associates degree. If I have concerns about where this game that I'm interested in is going and I'm going to voice them.

Encouraging people to leave because they voice those concerns only makes the dwindling population problem worse and is one of the key reasons that this games population is not going to come back to life.

The very population you are claim is going to "return" when some major update comes out is not going to "return" for long if your attitude to criticism is "Just leave"

[doublepost=1506464314,1506464104][/doublepost]
    Why the fuck are you both speaking welsh?
    It would seem that I was not the only Australian who got drunk last night

Last edited by a moderator:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My interest waned initially because of the upcoming crew and power update. But in the mean time, I scratched my Starmade itch by making logic youtube videos and participating in the forums. But now even that seams tedious. I feel like every time I post something I have to defend my views. whether it be the PVP vs PVE, various mechanic ideas that I think would be cool, or addressing the level of conversation on the forums themselves. I'm just tired. Hopefully when the power and universe update comes out there will be something worth talking about on the forums again.

Reactions: Vitez Kolya
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I should elaborate on my eloquent response to this thread.

More players is what Starmade doesn't need right now, in my opinion.
    The players are bored and resort to sharing ideas and opinions on the forum. Many of these are conflicting and while that promotes discussion, there are members that believe differing opinions is 'flaming' or attacking them personally.

With Starmade being in a state of change, the forums have become a not-so nice place.

We don't need more players, yet. But will in about 12 to 18 months from now, I feel.

Reactions: thatothermitch
    G

GDPR 302420

Your not voicing your concerns, your obnoxiously shoving them down everbodies throats in a way that makes it look like you don't WANT to be here. Maybe if you weren't so aggressive towards anyone with different opinions to you, nobody would have a problem with you.

By all means, 'voice your concerns' but don't do it in a way, and with an attitude that is aggressive and obnoxious.
    There is a difference between "obnoxiously shoving them down everbodies throat" and voicing my concerns without the sugarcoating BS so that fanboys don't get offended.

But if you don't like people expressing opinions that conflict with your own, perhaps I should use your own words against you.

"just leave m8, nobodies in your way"

Reaction score
    Just leave" is the most non-productive and counter-intuitive thing you can say to concerns about the game. I've paid money for this game. I've spent enough time in this dying game that I could count it for an associates degree. If I have concerns about where this game that I'm interested in is going and I'm going to voice them.
    You're making half of my argument here. That is A LOT of game time for very little money. It's ok to say "I don't like the direction this game is going, there are other non-trademarked-lego-ship games I like better, I am going to play those instead"

The social contract between you and Schema began and ended when you gave money for a game. Unless you are a paid developer for Schine, they do not owe you anything for the amount of time you've played this game. You can voice your concerns, you can offer you're opinion, but they are not obligated to listen.

To modify a quote from one of my favorite authors "You seem to be under the impression Schine is your bitch, when in fact Schine is not your bitch, and does not in fact owe you anything"

Right now, you are doing the equivalent of going into a restaurant, jumping up on a table, screaming at everyone that you have tried everything on the menu twice, this restaurant sucks, and the place across the street is much better. Then going on to yelp and giving them a bad review for being mean because you were asked to leave.

Just stop, calm down, the game will be better or worse depending on how the system is implemented. I think it will be better, you think it will be worse. That's ok. You can move onto other games or stay, other people will stay or move on. Again, that's ok. The game may or may not be finished by the time any or all of us have moved on. That's ok.

Your conduct is not ok. If your only contribution to the forum is to jump on here, declare everyone around a stupid fanboy, and that Starmade is a dead game that needs to be put out it's misery, then you shouldn't be surprised if people ask you to leave. A little bit of civility goes a long way, online and off.

I'd love to see the final release of Starmade, but if I decide to move on before then I have no regrets. As of right now ten dollars got me 1619 hours of gameplay over a couple years, I built some cool things, and I had a lot of fun. I'm guessing you have even more time in game then that.

Reaction score
    At this point we want to move on and we would have, if we could. It really is a Stockholm syndrome that's holding us here.
    Stockholm syndrome and a faint hope that if we get rid of all the brainless white-knighting yes-men the devs will have to finally face reality and actually improve the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    At this point we want to move on and we would have, if we could. It really is a Stockholm syndrome that's holding us here.
    Stockholm syndrome and a faint hope that if we get rid of all the brainless white-knighting yes-men the devs will have to finally face reality and actually improve the game.
    Isnt that what the devs are doing:?
    Coming up we have:
    -Power update which includes chambers and sector wide effects (e.g ion storms, solar flares etc), redone systems
    -Universe update with re-done sectors, exploration and endgame content, new planets, new building marterials, more elements for fleets and roleplay, re-done map)
    -Crew update (as stated crew is optional on ships)
    -Weapon update (more viable weapos, better implimented, better effects and more!)
    -Space Creatures (probably with the uni update, we have seen space whales alread_

Maybe some of that isnt your cup of tea. However it is needed and long requested and planned features. The devs have been very open about their development plan, and if you have interacted with them in a constructive manner you would already have seen similar suggestions to your own implemented in-game. Theres nothing more satisfying to discuss features/ideas with the devs and then see them implemented in a test build a few months latter : )

Reaction score
    Power update, as bad as some of it's aspects are, is overall good, or at least a much lesser evil than some alternatives.
    A framework for effect application across sectors, systems and maybe even galaxies is totally far out.
    Weapons rework and balance is fine too.
    But all this could have been done long time ago.
    Isnt that what the devs are doing?
    It is, albeit far too slow for my comfort. Partially because of an army of cretins that encourage literally anything Schine does, regardless of how stupid the idea is.
    I half expect them to post something like this:
    "Greetings citizens, it has come to our attention that there are many people who do not follow the teaching of the great Flying Spaghetti Monster and as such we feel it is our duty to eradicate the infidels so that the righteous believers can enjoy Starmade in peace.
    To this end we are gathering supplies to wage a great war, a crusade against the blasphemers of other religions.
    May the marinara sauce be with you."
    And the local morons would cheer and wish them luck slaying many a heretic. Insane as it sounds, we both know it might just be true.
    The devs have been very open about their development plan
    "Development plan", aka "Overambitious Project 2: Electric boogaloo" is one thing but the development process is a different can of worms.
    I swear, Area 51 is more open about the aliens it may or may not hold there than Schine is about the development process of some updates.
    and if you have interacted with them in a constructive manner
    Presuming much?
    you would already have seen similar suggestions to your own implemented in-game
    Like the robust and much better alternative to stabilizers heat mechanic for reactors?
    Like some form of organic or similar ships?
    Like all the other good ideas I can't remember off the top of my head?

If Schine is going to do what Schine is going to do, regardless of what people think and say, they could, at the very least, have the courtesy to tell just that. It would help us relax immensely.

G

GDPR 302420

You're making half of my argument here. That is A LOT of game time for very little money. It's ok to say "I don't like the direction this game is going, there are other non-trademarked-lego-ship games I like better, I am going to play those instead"
    Your opinion that you are getting your moneys worth is entirely subjective and not set in stone to anyone except for you and others who share your subjective views.

The social contract between you and Schema began and ended when you gave money for a game. Unless you are a paid developer for Schine, they do not owe you anything for the amount of time you've played this game. You can voice your concerns, you can offer you're opinion, but they are not obligated to listen.

To modify a quote from one of my favorite authors "You seem to be under the impression Schine is your bitch, when in fact Schine is not your bitch, and does not in fact owe you anything"
    Well duh, of course Schine isnt obligated to listen to me or anyone else.

But I sure as hell am not going to keep my opinions and statements to myself just because "there is a chance they may not listen/care"

I'd rather give my views and at least have a small chance of it being acknowelged or responded to then simply staying silent on my concerns, guaranteeing it will never be read, acknoweldged or responded to.

Right now, you are doing the equivalent of going into a restaurant, jumping up on a table, screaming at everyone that you have tried everything on the menu twice, this restaurant sucks, and the place across the street is much better. Then going on to yelp and giving them a bad review for being mean because you were asked to leave.
    Blatant exaggeration, the only difference between my criticism and the criticism or others who shares my views is that I am not honeying up my words and sugarcoating my statements to avoid offending others who have dissenting opinions, because I don't care if people are offended by what I say (unless of course it goes into warning points territory, for obvious reaosns)

Your conduct is not ok. If your only contribution to the forum is to jump on here, declare everyone around a stupid fanboy, and that Starmade is a dead game that needs to be put out it's misery, then you shouldn't be surprised if people ask you to leave. A little bit of civility goes a long way, online and off.
    See the above response.

I was commenting on your shitty attitude and the way your attacking anybody that slightly disagrees with you.
    Welcome to debates friendo, conflicting opinions is part of the base mechanics behind a debate, you tell people who have conflicting opinions then yours why you are right or they are wrong and they do the same to you, repeat until conclusion or thread gets locked.

Also, I don't believe you are in any position to talk about "shitty attitudes" when your response to my criticism is " just leave m8, nobodies in your way"

Which for reasons I explained above, these kind of responses to criticism are one of the factors why unless both the community and the developers themselves adopt a general attitude and direction change, this game and its community is not going to be successful.

I want this game to be succesful as much as any fanboy, which is why I stay and express my concerns and opinions rather then "just leave" like fanboys have been telling members of the community who dare question their "Schine-can-do-no-wrong" narrative and present opinions that conflict with them.

I don't care if every single fanboy in this community spends the next 20 years following me around on the forums placing a disagree rating on everything I post, I will continue to speak my opinion, I will continue to state my concerns for this game and I will continue to debate with people who still follow this "Schine-can-do-no-wrong" narrative.

I am not calling any specific user a fanboy here, but if you are reading this (you know who you are) and do not like that I have the audacity to oppose your viewpoint, allow me to turn your own words against you:

Just leave

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    Power update, as bad as some of it's aspects are, is overall good, or at least a much lesser evil than some alternatives.
    A framework for effect application across sectors, systems and maybe even galaxies is totally far out.
    Weapons rework and balance is fine too.
    But all this could have been done long time ago.

It is, albeit far too slow for my comfort. Partially because of an army of cretins that encourage literally anything Schine does, regardless of how stupid the idea is.
    I half expect them to post something like this:

And the local morons would cheer and wish them luck slaying many a heretic. Insane as it sounds, we both know it might just be true.

"Development plan", aka "Overambitious Project 2: Electric boogaloo" is one thing but the development process is a different can of worms.
    I swear, Area 51 is more open about the aliens it may or may not hold there than Schine is about the development process of some updates.

Presuming much?

Like the robust and much better alternative to stabilizers heat mechanic for reactors?
    Like some form of organic or similar ships?
    Like all the other good ideas I can't remember off the top of my head?

If Schine is going to do what Schine is going to do, regardless of what people think and say, they could, at the very least, have the courtesy to tell just that. It would help us relax immensely.
    "But all this could have been done long time ago.

It is, albeit far too slow for my comfort."

Do you just not read what other people say or do you bluntly ignore the like 5 comments in this topic, that said that Shine is not a big company and doesn't aim for growing right now?

"And the local morons would cheer and wish them luck slaying many a heretic. "

Ok. Where are the people that are ok with Shine's plans "slaying" others? Do you mean with slaying calling other people names? Or do you mean with slaying posting memes? Or do you mean with slaying harsh crique on others peoples opinions, like shouting it down with multiple disagreeing replies? Because I don't see any examples of this happening in this community happening from the people that are ok with Shines devlopment progression.

Just tell me what you mean with slaying in fact, give examples where people showed agressive behaviour. But be aware: If you start giving examples, I may give you examples of people that are on your side and we might quickly see, that there are way more "slaying heretics" examples from people that share your opinion than on your counter-side.

And yes. I think it is important to correct people, if they are not telling the truth. If you have no examples of the "slaying heretics" stuff then you maybe are just exagerating, but its not ok to exagerate into a level that deforms the truth.

Reaction score
    Do you just not read what other people say or do you bluntly ignore the like 5 comments in this topic
    I could very much ask the same of you.
    The "Shine is not a big company and doesn't aim for growing right now"-shit won't fly here. In fact, this is the part of the problem. Consider these words:
    Rome was not built in a day. . . but it also took a team of skilled people. . not one or two. If one guy tried to build it himself it would take 10,000 years and be obsolete by the time it was done.
    By the time poor little Schine finishes it's game there might not be a single person around to give a hoot about it, as everyone will be playing the next generation of space voxel games that aren't made on bloody Java.
    Ok. Where are the people that are ok with Shine's plans "slaying" others? Do you mean with slaying calling other people names? Or do you mean with slaying posting memes? And yadda yadda...
    I REALLY want to believe that you are merely pretending, but it seems that you are nothing short of a perfect illustration of the white-knighting and stupidity this community suffers so much from. Both at the same time. Coincidence?..
    I have no intention of offending you directly mind you, I merely point out the overall trend.

Reaction score
    feels like a religious debate between StarMade fanboys and StarMade haters. Im standing in the middle, i like starmade, but i liked it more when there were more people on the servers to interact with. Still i get treated like one of the StarMade haters. So i can understand RedAlert_007 to some degree (although i dont agree with most of his points). Its literally impossible to discuss the state of the game/servers as long as there are such demagogues silencing even the slightest critique. What am i expected to post? "Hey, i love how servers are empty these days, thats why i love multiplayer so much!!!!1111!!!1!"? i mean... wtf o_O Generally i like the direction this game is going, even though many features arent working as intended (yet). I also like the upcoming system/weapon/universe update from what ive seen so far.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is a difference between "obnoxiously shoving them down everbodies throat" and voicing my concerns without the sugarcoating BS so that fanboys don't get offended.
    Dude, you literally called the game "a suffering farm animal waiting to be put down to end its misery".

You weren't "voicing concerns without the sugarcoating", you were openly insulting the game and the designers on their own forums. What kind of response did you expect to get from that?
    Its literally impossible to discuss the state of the game/servers as long as there are such demagogues silencing even the slightest critique. What am i expected to post? "Hey, i love how servers are empty these days, thats why i love multiplayer so much!!!!1111!!!1!"? i mean... wtf
    There is a difference between "Hey, I don't like how this part works. It causes me undue stress/grief/etc here, here, and here. I think it would work better if it did X instead of Y" and "This sucks, why isn't anything being done about this?". One is constructive criticism that gives them usable feedback. One is just vitriol and hate.

I'm no stranger to stirring the pot about the things I don't like about Starmade, but I like to think I at least make an effort to explain why and offer suggestions to improve things. Simply negging all the time without providing constructive feedback is nothing but whining, and nobody gives a damn about whiners.

Reactions: Tamren Shade
    Reaction score
    thats exactly what i did. Sayd id like to see more people actively playing the game again, because i prefer player interaction and multiplayer in general over singleplayer builder playstyle. Also linked some stats to show it isnt just my personal feeling, but there are in fact almost no active players left. Still got treated like i was saying this is the worst game ever or sth.. i like the game (wouldnt play it anymore if i didnt), but i dont like almost empty servers.

Reaction score
    Can we at least admit that:
    • Schine can and does make mistakes
    • They've made plenty already
    • Therefore there are plenty of things wrong with Starmade besides it's community
    Flinging shit at each other is fun and all, but we don't point Schine at the flaws in their masterpiece, chances are they won't notice it until it's too late.

Reactions: AtraUnam
    G

GDPR 302420

Dude, you literally called the game "a suffering farm animal waiting to be put down to end its misery".

You weren't "voicing concerns without the sugarcoating", you were openly insulting the game and the designers on their own forums. What kind of response did you expect to get from that?
    "a suffering farm animal wait to be put down to end its misery" is an accurate description of this game, take it as an insult if you want, as I said before I don't care if my statements offend people.

Its only going to get worse until both the developers and the community get a change of attitude and in the case of the developers a change of direction.

As Calhoun said before, if Schine was to take these 3 bits of advice, the game would be on a good start to being satisfactory to the playerbase that are not blind fanboys.

1. Stop making dumb decisions that effectively throw away years of development.

2. Related to point 1, stop wasting time and resources. Schine have said they don't want to advertise, but then they waste the little money they have of dead end development. The upcoming power update is the biggest show of this. The fleet competition is also up there, as every single ship from that competition will have to be redone.

3. Listen to the community. Schine have said they don't play the game as a game. But instead of listening to the people who do, they ignore them. Listen to the PvPers on balance, listen to the builders on build system improvements, listen to the game-breakers on bug fixing. DO NOT THINK THIS COMMUNITY WILL GO QUIETLY. If you, Schine, keep doing as you are now and bullshitting the community, do not think it will not come back to bite you. You want a new community? Good luck with that after treating the previous one like shit.
    [doublepost=1506514606,1506514011][/doublepost]
    feels like a religious debate between StarMade fanboys and StarMade haters. Im standing in the middle, i like starmade, but i liked it more when there were more people on the servers to interact with. Still i get treated like one of the StarMade haters. So i can understand RedAlert_007 to some degree (although i dont agree with most of his points). Its literally impossible to discuss the state of the game/servers as long as there are such demagogues silencing even the slightest critique. What am i expected to post? "Hey, i love how servers are empty these days, thats why i love multiplayer so much!!!!1111!!!1!"? i mean... wtf o_O Generally i like the direction this game is going, even though many features arent working as intended (yet). I also like the upcoming system/weapon/universe update from what ive seen so far.
    Its the same thing with the fanboys of any game, you either 100% agree with everything they say or you are some kind of affront to them that must be destroyed at all costs.

I suppose this is a cliche case of "you are either with us or against us, pick your side"

Well I chose my side

But this kind of dynamic is not something exclusive to this game, as much as it would be great if it was isolated...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    "a suffering farm animal wait to be put down to end its misery" is an accurate description of this game, take it as an insult if you want, as I said before I don't care if my statements offend people.

Its only going to get worse until both the developers and the community get a change of attitude and in the case of the developers a change of direction.
    Makes me wonder why you begged to be let back in if this is how you feel.

G

GDPR 302420

Makes me wonder why you begged to be let back in if this is how you feel.
    I'd hardly call me convincing Crusade to unban me "begging"

But there is a reason I stick around, its because I want this game to be succesfull, which is the same reason I deal with angry fanboys everytime I voice my concerns rather then "Just leave" (not reffering to any specific person in this thread or otherwise)

Im sick of your shit red

You contribute nothing to this community other than hot air and fuel for the toxic fire that this game is burning in. Fix your fucking attitude or piss off back to avorion or whatever the cool kids are playing right now.
    Responses like this are the exact thing I was reffering to when I mentioned problems with pro-schine members attitude towards criticism, granted you are not the only one guilty of this but I think your response is a good example of the exact thing I am talking about.

But I will once again turn your own words against you, if you do not like dealing with people who have opinions of this game, its community and/or development that conflict with your own then "just leave"

Unless a StarMadeDock moderator has something to say to the contray, I will continue to voice my opinions and concerns on this thread just like others are voicing their pro-schine opinions.

Guys please chill. I made this thread to simply show that interest in StarMade has declined over time, and suprisingly more than I thought. That's it.
    This kind of topic is very sensitive, some will defend Schine and some will criticise Schine.

You made a thread concerning easily one of the most controvertial and sensitive subjects in all of StarMade, what did you expect?

Reactions: JumpSuit and Arkudo
    Reaction score
    You made a thread concerning easily one of the most controvertial and sensitive subjects in all of StarMade, what did you expect?
    I expect some common courtesy out of you. The rest of the people in this thread can, so you can too.