StarMade dev update

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello,

just a little note one what I'm working on: I took a long tour into the graphics code and did research on various methods and functions I'm using. I found that I'm always reserving data on the graphics card for the absolute worst case (a checker-boxed chunk). The average data used is much much smaller. So I implemented a dynamic size rearrangement for the graphics buffers which for a normal planet (about 1500 visible segments (chunks)) reduced the memory need on the graphics card from more then 500mb to 18mb. This not only improved performance, but also opens a whole new set of possibilities for effects and enhancements, as well as possible performance upgrades (precomputing more data to take away work from the graphics CPU)

Also, on a entirely different note, StarMade now has the ability to use UDP. While not yet stress tested, it might improve network performance (read more here: http://gafferongames.com/networking-for-game-programmers/udp-vs-tcp/ if you are interested). A TCP fallback is will remain.

I also already fixed a count of bugs, and will do more research on the bottlenecks in multiplayer and memory consumption.

thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    It helps some types of cards for sure. I can\'t promise that it will help you, but I\'ll do more improvements with the new-found available memory.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey - thank you schema for the heads up.

Any ETA for a new patch?

Reaction score
    This is great news for those with a computer not very powerful when released the update? : D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Awesome! Keep up the great work. :)

By the way, did you find any solutions for the colision lag of large ships?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    this is good to here, i havent got a chance to look yet be my fps always drops between 1 and 7 on spacestations even thought i had what i consided to be a good computer

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for that, whenever i tried to load the planet my fps just got destroyed, thanks for the epic game schema.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Will there be a fix for when a server restarts and ships/etc in a faction being named to Unknown Faction <id of faction here>? It can be quite annoying.

Reaction score
    Can\'t wait for this update. It\'s one of the biggest lag creators in starmade for me.(Second only to large entities colliding, maybe you could figure that out?)

Reaction score
    Can\'t wait for the update.

Just to see how much more better Star-Made gets each time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if you could fix that lag, i could build much larger ships before i get so pissed off i have to exit the game to save my pc from myself. my cube is taking more work then i feared...

Reaction score
    Thanks Schema :D Loving your work so far, can honestly say I am hanging onto your every word in any post or patch update :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i would just like to say that the most recent update has slowed down the game alot i mean i was on like 100fps before using a shi with over 5000 blocks next to a planet and now im on 14 with a 4 block ship next to a planet please let the developer know thanks;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    how come the game requires open gl 2.1? also why isn\'t there an ability to toggle shaders?

thanks,

-maroon

Reaction score
    Personaly I dont care about the graphics code optimisation I would rather have you work on fixing your NULL pointers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    IDC if you load everything onto the RAM and CPU (got good enough of those), just plz get away from depending so much on GPU.