StarMade dev update: why spherical planets don't fit in a block world

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With this in mind, the gravity vector would only face towards the center, and you wouldn\'t break much of the current game design.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    What about having 4 of the current worlds, or smaller versions of them, make up 4 walls, around a hallow center. gravity would function for each surface as it does now, but you could give the illusion of being spherical by tapering the edges.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sooo... You\'re suggesting have the planets separate from the rest of the universe. So without entering the atmosphere of the planet (might require a load screen, which would be a problem) you have no idea what a planet is like. What do you do with planetary defenses? The range of AMC\'s on an object that large can easily extend far outside any kind of reasonable atmosphere size (the radius at which you switch over). Also, what do you do with ships inside the planets atmosphere? Do you just count the entire planet as a single entity that jams all units within the radius?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about you make a cube but make a dirt wedge block and put it on the side to connect the blocks so it has a smoth egde but dosent ruin the block style of the game

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had this exact same idea when I read schema\'s post. Just create a sphere of blocks without any warping and have a gravity block at the center that you\'re oriented to. I\'m no programmer, so I don\'t know how dificult this would be, but it seems like a good idea to me.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I understand what you mean. The top-left, top-right, and bottom-right are ok, but what about bottom-left? The other three are on a convex extreme of the planet, but the third is in the middle of a concave. How would you calculate the position of this point? would it be just diagoally from the top right?

Unfortunately while this may work in 2D, I don\'t know if it would work in 3D with 6 sides instead of 4.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I actually already thought about that idea, and I like it. With an indestructable core it would be ok, but there is one major concern for gameplay. Imagine digging or walking left or right in a cave on one side and then digging into another gravity context. You would suddently be disorientated by the gravity change.

Reaction score
    Maby having a rework of gravity to not be up/down, but radial point based.
    It might be a nice feture on ships/stations also.

By the way, amazing game.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    But imagine standing on the center of the picture, you would be on top of the corner and not flat on the ground

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I genuinly don\'t see a reason to have anything other than the oreo planets. Why is everyone so concerned about the fact that a planet will appear sphereical from space. No matter what option he goes for you are going to experience the ground as a flat area that extends into a horizon. Why anyone would want to build a city on a curved or even cubical surface is beyond me. Id rather have a flatish building plane to work with instead of a sphere or a cube.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry for the poor grammar, I didn\'t read over the message twice. (its*) and basically if you make the planets large enough it wouldn\'t really matter if you were standing on corners, because you\'d feel like it was semi-flat, like you would with an earth sized model.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    While all this is interesting, i\'d rather have bug fixes, and better optimization. planets can wait in my opinion, need a solid core game first then add to it.

Reaction score
    a solid plan for planet, also makes it more difficult to design RPG elements for game. Survival mode kind of stuff is also very interesting.

Reaction score
    What i also figured is that having cubic or flat planet makes it easier to make premade cities, ancient ruins and stuff. They\'re complicated on pure sphere planet, and propably not as fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Onedirectional gravity as is:

Two directional gravity (Orio style):

No gravity shenanigans.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I may have a \'solution\' for that problem:

You place 2 warped hemispheres (like in the first picture), each with their own gravity plane, next to eachother, and leave a space between them where there is no gravity (but keep it big/strong? enough to stop the movement made by falling).

This \'free\' space could be the equator of the planets.