StarMade Dev Update: Spring Cleaning

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think it's funny that you only just figured out that hard scheduled updates was a hindrance. :)

Dev Blogs are fine. I've certainly been satisfied to know details of what's coming out the gate, without knowing when. I have also gotten into the habit of ignoring new updates for the first week in expectation of the mandatory hot fix. ;)

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Thanks for giving this some consideration. After-all, it's quite frustrating to watch as long-ignored bug reports begin to apparently exacerbate the effects of newer bugs caused by newer functions (e.g. factions.fac parsing lag & NPC Factions).

However, as you go silent on the release front for extended periods, it would be really nice to see some form of regular communications aside from seemingly hype-filled "dev blogs". For instance:
    • Posting responses in phab reports when an issue is getting attention.
    • Not "rejecting" a phab report, after the issue has been given attention and/or resolved. As a rejected report not only makes bug reporters feel like they wasted their time, if the underlying issue isn't truly resolved it's just confusing: was the report rejected due to the assumption that a hotfix/patch resolved something, or is there simply no interest in fixing the reported apparent issue?
    • Give some credit to bug reporters: cite each phab entry that gets attention in a release. This not only helps bug reporters feel they're making an actual contribution, but it gives everyone a better idea of what to expect regarding in-game and engine related changes coming down the pipe.

Last edited:

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    heh, I've got a box of fun but after some close/won't fix's/rejected (example 1727, which was reject/merged and still exists as a bug last I tested, over a 8 months later and has existed since time immemorial) I don't really see the point in reporting any more (including some high P server security issues).

Straw for me was "well in theory it is a issue, but"

Reactions: Erth Paradine

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    heh, I've got a box of fun but after some close/won't fix's/rejected (example 1727, which was reject/merged and still exists as a bug last I tested, over a 8 months later and has existed since time immemorial) I don't really see the point in reporting any more (including some high P server security issues).

Is that the one where you spit out your credentials to the server?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well the tokens being spat out is one of them on the server side.
    Then theres the couple I confirmed for you recently which could allow you to inject or access any file the servers user has access to via the client.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic

"Closed, Duplicate" is the correct status for this.
    This means:
    We close this report, because we already have a report covering exactly this.

I assume the really bad wont fix you talk about is:
    T1740 - Local client chunk cache files can be used to reconstruct entities seen on multiplayer
    Well, it is a multiplayer game, you already upload your blueprint to the server, and they can in theory also get it.
    Reconstructing a ship from local client cache is in theory possible, but will miss all information about links, weapon grouping, logic, display modules and settings.
    And as you most likely wish your client displaying the ship to other users, those clients will need to know the raw block data to render it.

So there are two approaches to fix this:
    a) encrypt all raw blockdata sent to clients with a specifc key and give this key to the client for a short time to load the ship and have it in memory, then make sure the key does not work any more.
    • + you cannot reconstruct the blueprint from the local cache anymore without excessive computing power
    • - blockdata is still in the client memory and can be grabbed from there
    • - sending encrypted data + key to client does not increase security at all just adds another detour and impact in performance

b) convert blueprints to models before sending
    • + raw blockdata is never sent to client and all functionality can be obfuscated
    • - ANY ingame editing of ships will be limited to only apply for new copies, you cannot edit the ship on the fly anymore
    • - damage "block by block" is not possible any more
    • - a complex light setup with different states by logic may require a thousand different model variants being sent to the client to cover all possible situations (or alternatively: disable all dynamic content on the ships...)

So I still back this decision to not fix this.
    As a) would not stop anyone with enough knowledge and effort to grab the data
    and we can not prevent it to be on the client in any way without using b).

Is that the one where you spit out your credentials to the server?
    Never heard about this,
    did anyone report it?
    By design the credentials are not sent to the server at any time (OAuth2 if you want to read more about it).
    Feel free to contact me if you have any details on this.

- Andy

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

Can't fix if you don't report though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Schema, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as a tester. Please, I'd like to help anyway I can.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Will we be able to toggle passives on fleets too? (In reference to the mention about toggleable radar/stealth).

Reaction score
    Hello players,

it's spring cleaning time and we improving our workflow for better and higher quality development!

read the full news here: StarMade News - StarMade Dev Update: Spring Cleaning

thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the Schine Team
    I just Have to say that I am very pleased and impressed by the way that your team is dealing with putting out the updates and keeping the game playable and enjoyable. After trying to get into space engineers and finding the game practically broken because they were more concerned with putting updates out over making sure that bugs were fixed. Putting assigned updating quickly for making sure good content is put out and making the game as enjoyable as possible is very refreshing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree that it is fine for longer release cycles, but I think it is important to keep a steady trickle of information flowing to the community. It has now been a over a month since the last release and over two weeks since we last heard from the team. A dev blog that is hard scheduled and releases may fall when they are ready would be a nice in-between that makes everyone happy.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I agree that it is fine for longer release cycles, but I think it is important to keep a steady trickle of information flowing to the community. It has now been a over a month since the last release and over two weeks since we last heard from the team. A dev blog that is hard scheduled and releases may fall when they are ready would be a nice in-between that makes everyone happy.
    Ideally, we'd be releasing dev build news posts every week or two with details on what's new, this will of course help with public testing. Perhaps we'd schedule a dev blog for every two weeks, to talk about our plans, current development in a general sense. We'd have the same amount or more news posts, just fewer releases.
    A release candidate news post is coming either today or tomorrow, we planned to have it out yesterday. Which would be in line with the two weeks of news.

Reaction score
    "As developers and artists, we are blind. We can no longer see as players."

I've given lectures about this. Your over exhilarating yourselves with your releases. If I where you, with such a strong community behind your game, keep your two week release schedule.

You do NOT need to release a feature, and information is all fine and dandy, however, you wont keep players playing with hopes and wishes. You can simply expand on what you already have. Your models for the pipes/grates/mushrooms, keep going with stuff like that! One model every two weeks... work on your flora. It's truly not that difficult, and they are super simple models. It forces creative types to go in and update their ships/stations with the new parts. Experiment with exploiting models into looking like something it's not. (Such as a lot of "Med Bays" using paint for blood bags, etc.) A single redesign of a particle. It doesn't have to effect game play. Any content change in game will draw players back. Of course stability will draw players back as well, but that's beside the point.

Keep your players engaged. they are way more easily impressed then yourselves. Developers hold their work to a significantly higher standard then their players ever will. Keep in mind, it will never be "truly" done.

Every developer's forgotten rule. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) - absolutely no offense (I do not think you guys are stupid, just how the saying goes).

Reactions: Winterhome