StarMade dev news #3

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

I'm sorry for the long delay for the next version. That doesn't of course mean I work any less. The graphical assets are almost finished, and I have begun to implement them. I also did some major performance upgrades as well as some new graphical effects:

Dynamic Traversable Octree

The segments (chunks) themselves already use an Octree structure with great success for a long time (especially for physics). The structure managing the segments was rather static in that regard (2 layers). This has now changed.

What I needed was to get rid of unnecessary data (empty or unloaded segments) without impacting the performance as most common data structures would do.

Techniacl: I don't know if this data structure exists but I'm using a bitmask octree now to manage segments. The nodes on each level have one byte with a mask on what sub-nodes are filled. This means I can iterate over all nonempty chunks without having to even look at an empty one once: The iteration itself looks up the indices it has to look at for the next level in the octree. The structure also now grows and shrinks dynamically.

The benefits of this new structure are affecting in pretty much every aspect of the game. Faster physics, loading, lighting computation, sorting, and all that with much less memory consumption.

As everyone knows, multiplayer games need to be scalable in terms of memory. One of the hardest challenges in programming is to make memory and CPU scalable.

These 1024 ships (of course all with physics, and everything) are only taking 300MB of RAM

A single object with all the blocks combined would be much smaller of course, as each object has meta data overhead (each of these ships has thrusters, weapons, missiles, and salvage beams)

Shadows

I needed a little distraction from the pure numbers and indices, so I made myself a challenge to implement a shadow effect in a day. While I managed to do a basic system in a day, the completion (and it's still not very optimized) took another day.

Work on the other feature is also going great. I know I always say "soon", but I really hope to have something playable this week :D

thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Awesome news schema-cat! Can\'t wait to see how far the game can be pushed now. :)

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hehe and the ships he use i know... I think schema likes my drones to test *smile*

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you want, PM me or the owner of T-R-A we can help you out with testing and benchmarking this build on intense servers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Wow, it\'s like schema is reading my mind, updating just what I need to do the stuff I want. I hope he hashes out the powerdrain beam\'s bugs....

But for real, you are the best dev I have ever seen!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    does this mean that my ship will stop lagging out the server? i have feared for the completion of my ship, due to the wireframe being so lag educing. with this, i hope my planet scaled harvester/city/warship/parks/etc. will be able to function like most ships do these days.

Reaction score
    The new shadow effects are brilliant, lighting was something I felt was taking away from the immersiveness. Would it be accurate to assume the new \"bitmask octree\" will help with hollow structures/structures with lots of empty space, and will not affect a solid block much?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Yeah. I gotta ask jack to test his 200 drone ship again when the update comes out. Im really looking forward to the updat and I really admire tthe work you put into the game. KEEP IT UP!

Reaction score
    now i can block out the sun like a boss, muhahahaahaahahah, if i dont crash on the planet...

Reaction score
    Anyone who thinks you\'re not working deserves a good kicking right up the bum. Glad to see some performance tweaks, Roll on next week (hopefully) for our Christmas present: Working Plexlifts, HD elements NPCs (possibly) and crunchy yet delicious performance upgrades have me hyped.

Reaction score
    I hope you have done the Gravity sector bug of a ship, where player in multiplayer dropped out of the ship when enter a new sector. thats the only thing i want to change ^^

then i can play with my faction mates in a capital ship and explore new worlds. and we have meetings in the capital ship conference room, where the captain is still driving the ship ^^

thats awesome :)