StarMade dev news #2

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello,

I'm a lot better. Thank you all for your wishes and support!

Here is a little teaser of what was just finished:

Basically introduction 2 all new shapes. A Tetrahedron like shape that is all composed of triangles (pic 2), and a 5 sided cube that is missing that tetrahedron like shape (pic 3).

I redesigned the orientation system, and cleaned up some code that was around for a long time and was giving me trouble. Fortunately the game has now the option to soft-migrate the database in real time.

The new format finally for 32 types of orientations and I finally added the missing corner shapes as well. The reason, why it takes a little longer to implement starmade voxel shapes (instead with normal 3d object) is pure performance based. The new shapes actually don't take any performance away from the game, and don't take anymore memory. Each shape/block only takes 3 bytes in the RAM, and only 12 byte on the graphics card's RAM.

As you can see, the sprite type shapes (pic 1), can now be placed in any orientation as well.

I hopw to release a test version as soon as all the artwork for the new player model is finished and integrated into the game.

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Good job Schema, remember Starmade will always be better than space engineers!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    These new shapes should revolutionize shipbuilding, just think of all the new angles you can put on a ship!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Mind Blown

welcome to the next level!

thanks Schema, did not expect this so fast ;D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Been hankering for the updates to orientation and gravity so I can fully crew a cap ship :)

Nice one Schema!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My love for this game stems from the modeling tools you supply us. Anxious to try it out!

Reaction score
    dont ask how, just rejoice that schema knows coding magic ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Glad to hear your feeling alot better, and very excited to play with these new shapes!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I just imagined orientation of those blocks... I hope you will add buttons that will help with it like turn left, right, up, down, rotate right, left or something. Or maybe with mouse like 3D models.

Reaction score
    Me2. The build mode is the reason I left other building games like minecraft for starmade. It\'s just really really good. Lots of tools you can use to help you build are always a good thing.

Reaction score
    Without sounding too negative but all this nice hapes are useless when it goes about buiding an efficient ship.

It is stupid that any armor you put on your ship is useless and impracticable.

It would be great if there would be some not to ressource expensive way to fix this.

I think if armor would help shields a little bit (dmg to shields=Dmg:Armor for example) it would really be a good feature.

Also an chance to dodge bullets if they come in with an flat angle would be sweet but I guess it would let the impact calculations explode.

And what about new weapon blocks? I would love to blow away my enemies with more than some obscure AMC (I still think those should be replaced by regular guns to cherish antimatter a bit more.)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    While I\'m greatful for new blocks I can only imagine how much more annoying inventory managment will be. I kind of wish there was just two versions of hull blocks. Regular and Hardened, then you were able to paint the blocks whatever color you wanted without needed an inventory full of all the varius colored blocks.

Reaction score
    I\'m so glad you\'re better now! Thank you for keeping us informed!

I hopw to release a test version as soon as all the artwork for the new player model is finished and integrated into the game.

And I hope this means \"soon\" ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ive been waiting for a block like this for a long time! this is AWESOME!!!!! plus itl help with a rather unique build i have planed....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Dear Schema,

Please fix the Admintool Nullpointexception.

Thanks