StarMade Dev Blog - The Weapons Update

Reaction score
    c/c can fire 10x per second. I doubt most people can sustain accurate click spamming nearly that fast. It semi-auto would look more like basic cannon rps, but likely be less accurate since click spamming makes pixel perfect aiming with a mouse harder.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I doubt most people can sustain accurate click spamming nearly that fast.
    I wouldn't put attempts of using autoclickers to avoid this limitation of the human body out of the realm of the thinkable, especially when it comes to the starmade community.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Refire rate should definitely reflect charge level, yes. If the fastest if could possibly fire is once per second, then only ai should be able to match that 1:1 fire rate versus the basic cannon, which is acceptable. But then again does power usage also reflect charge level? Maybe that should as well.

Reaction score
    Damage ramp on honey-comb weapon groups. gogogo, test, cringe. One computer with a single exit point of 10 module's ~v.s~ 10 exit points totalling 10 modules (1 computer).

Reaction score
    I wouldn't put attempts of using autoclickers to avoid this limitation of the human body out of the realm of the thinkable, especially when it comes to the starmade community.
    Last I checked, StarMade has a utility built into it designed to prevent other applications from injecting input. While that does not mean there are not some ppl in this community that would know how to overcome that limit, it seems like an awful lot to worry about when you could literally just use a cannon/cannon instead. Even in the case of auto clickers and logic multi-plexing, capping it at the same recharge as a cannon/cannon should be good enough IMO.

Damage ramp on honey-comb weapon groups. gogogo, test, cringe. One computer with a single exit point of 10 module's ~v.s~ 10 exit points totalling 10 modules (1 computer).
    The multi-output weapons (ranging from 10-30 outputs) I've tested so far do about 1/2 the damage as single output acid weapon for the number of blocks and do way less damage for the power cost. They still have their specific cases of usefulness, but they are no-longer ideal for raw damage or penitration.

Reaction score
    The multi-output weapons (ranging from 10-30 outputs) I've tested so far do about 1/2 the damage as single output acid weapon for the number of blocks and do way less damage for the power cost. They still have their specific cases of usefulness, but they are no-longer ideal for raw damage or penitration.
    I strain to see the sense in not maintaining powercost:damage delt v.s powercost:group configuration, particularly for the sake of AMT or salvage arrays. Punishing configuration seems counter intuitive given the purpose of the groups concerned. On the small ships I typically use, the power cost from the honey-comb layout v.s the same block count as a single unit pushes the reactor size needs up another tier.. so I have to scale back the beam strength in order to maintain the same area coverage... why does that make sense?

Reaction score
    I strain to see the sense in not maintaining powercost:damage delt v.s powercost:group configuration, particularly for the sake of AMT or salvage arrays. Punishing configuration seems counter intuitive given the purpose of the groups concerned. On the small ships I typically use, the power cost from the honey-comb layout v.s the same block count as a single unit pushes the reactor size needs up another tier.. so I have to scale back the beam strength in order to maintain the same area coverage... why does that make sense?
    Hehe, I was just stating my findings, not my opinion on them. Like I said, there are still a few practical applications for multi-output weapons; so, maybe the game will find a balance out of it, but whether they will still be a viable option will be largely determined by how the unfinished aspects of the new weapons system will balance out.

Reactions: Fays
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the recoil idea, but better if I could feel the shake while flying the ship, a very basic effect present from ship games decades ago. Something like shake % = damage/totalHP

I still remember in Star Wars episode 3 where capital ships pound each other with fixed broadside cannons like medieval gunboats. No sense but it's cool as heck. Would be also nice if ships exploded more often instead of crumbling away like biscuits

If cannon size = bullet size, missile size = missile HP? beam size = beam size?
    cannon depth = penetration, missile depth = missile speed?

Could there still be short ranged weapons? Will ramming/melee builds be obsolete? I like the idea of using big ships as rams...

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Yeah some melee weapons would be nice. Maybe a short-range beam which terminates at a certain block distance. Maybe one of those melee beam blocks extends it one block, two extends it to two, and so on. To make it more of a melee weapon instead of a ranged weapon, the ship has to hit another with the beam, perhaps a dock with the beam which spins on a rail rotator could be a way of doing that. Also the beam would only fire straight.

A kind of hull could also be used for ramming which could have an explosive variant but that may have to wait until the collision damage mechanic is improved.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah some melee weapons would be nice. Maybe a short-range beam which terminates at a certain block distance. Maybe one of those melee beam blocks extends it one block, two extends it to two, and so on. To make it more of a melee weapon instead of a ranged weapon, the ship has to hit another with the beam, perhaps a dock with the beam which spins on a rail rotator could be a way of doing that. Also the beam would only fire straight.

A kind of hull could also be used for ramming which could have an explosive variant but that may have to wait until the collision damage mechanic is improved.
    What we need is a ship-mounted equivalent of the cutting Torch. Couple that with a ship-mounted grapple beam that alligns/pulls you towards the target (assuming your ship is of a lower mass than the target). Once you've cut a neat hole in your opponent's hull and boarded their ship, you can have all the melee you want :)

Reactions: Szlfsz and Skwidz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    What we need is a ship-mounted equivalent of the cutting Torch. Couple that with a ship-mounted grapple beam that alligns/pulls you towards the target (assuming your ship is of a lower mass than the target). Once you've cut a neat hole in your opponent's hull and boarded their ship, you can have all the melee you want :)
    havent tried it yet but, does the tractor beam pull you towards objects if they have a greater mass?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If the recoil is going to be a thing, maybe we can put our turrets on rails so the cannons can roll or slide back to absorb the recoil. Just like all the other big cannons in real life?

Reaction score
    If the recoil is going to be a thing, maybe we can put our turrets on rails so the cannons can roll or slide back to absorb the recoil. Just like all the other big cannons in real life?
    Sounds like a very complicated way of building ships.

Reaction score
    I don't want to play on a slideshow game.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    does the size of the tractor beam, number of blocks, determine how much mass you can move?
    I'm not sure but I think so unless that's not been implimented yet. If it has I think the stronger the tractor beam is it'll be easier to move more mass while single block beams can move large ships but it would be slower and easier to escape.
    [doublepost=1525558526,1525558153][/doublepost]
    I was thinking about that before. It would be pretty cool and it doesn't seem too hard to impliment. All that really needs to be added is a mechanic which makes an entity drift along the direction of the rail as if the entity was undocked and let the cannon push it after the rail's unlocked.
    I don't want to play on a slideshow game.
    With the way the rails are now the new mechanic could cause a lot of lag but we'll have to see what the possible rail performance fixes can do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The reason recoil was added was to try and balance an otherwise overpowered weapon. If there's an in-game work around, then the weapon remains overpowered.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The reason recoil was added was to try and balance an otherwise overpowered weapon. If there's an in-game work around, then the weapon remains overpowered.
    I concur, atm recoil feels very jarring and breaks the immersion a bit.
    I feel a better implementation of the concept would just be an expanding circle around the cross-hair to show the growing in-accuracy as the weapon constantly fires. Gains radius per each shot, and losses radius per each tick as well.

That way it can be applied to the AI as well as players equally without being so in your face as it is currently.