Starmade Community Dictionary [Post entries, please!]

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    SD-BB- (n) Plural SD-BBs. An old removed version of the missile system that featured a lock on feature.

SD-KB- (n) Plural SD-KBs. An old removed version of the missile system that featured an automatic heat-seeking feature.

D1000- (n) Plural D1000s .An old removed version of the missile system that featured dumb-fire missiles.
    The D1000 is the same block as the current missiles. Only the texture has changed.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Disc world- (n) Plural Disc worlds. The format of the planets before the dodecahedron planets that we have now. They featured a world in the shape of a disc with one side being planet like and the other side being flat. Gravity pulls from the planet side to the flat side and from no other direction.
    Also known as Cookie Planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Hulk Missile: Missile + Pulse + Explosive
    [DOUBLEPOST=1428519442,1428518682][/DOUBLEPOST]RP: Role-play

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Disguised Doomcube (n); A variation of doomcube or system brick which at first may appear to be a well crafted ship, but upon closer examination it is revealed to be covered with a thin layer of hull with minor decorations. Comes in three variations, in order of rarity- rectangular prism, cylinder, and rarely, triangular prism. See: Doomcube, System Brick.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This one appears on many council applications: Yogswarm.

Please elucidate.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This one appears on many council applications: Yogswarm.

Please elucidate.
    Yogswarm (n.); A period of time in June and August 2013 in which a massive number of new players, many of them quite young, joined the Starmade community after the popular youtubers "The Yogscast" posted a short letsplay of the game. The community was overrun with newbs and noobs, the chat overflowing, and most servers packed to the brim with this sudden new population growth. This population boom quickly went away as the large number of younger new players left, but many of those who stuck around are now valued veterans of the community.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Disguised Doomcube (n); A variation of doomcube or system brick which at first appears to be a well crafted ship, but is in fact a cube or brick of systems with hull and decorations laid over it. Appears normal until one enters the ship, at which point it is revealed that the only interior is a 2x2 hallway lined with systems that leads to the core. Disliked by some players, but mainly seen as a requirement for maximum combat efficiency while still looking good. See: Doomcube, System Brick.
    Uh.... that's not a doomcube mate. It's just a combat ship. There's a MASSIVE difference between a doomcube and a combat ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Uh.... that's not a doomcube mate. It's just a combat ship. There's a MASSIVE difference between a doomcube and a combat ship.
    Like I said, it's a Disguised Doomcube. It may look like a normal ship, but it's really just a system brick with hull. A "combat ship" is usually a system brick with hull, is it not?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Like I said, it's a Disguised Doomcube. It may look like a normal ship, but it's really just a system brick with hull. A "combat ship" is usually a system brick with hull, is it not?
    So, all major faction ships are disguised doomcubes ?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The whole rage about doomcubes is that they take no effort to throw together and are just as effective as "normal" ships. If you do an exterior, you applied effort and most ships lose that term at that point.

"Disguised Doombrick" just sounds like people who make interiors trying to stroke their own ego and enforce their opinions of what a ship should be onto you. Same could be said about exterior, but all you see is the exterior 95% of the time, so I can understand the fuss there.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    The whole rage about doomcubes is that they take no effort to throw together and are just as effective as "normal" ships. If you do an exterior, you applied effort and most ships lose that term at that point.

"Disguised Doombrick" just sounds like people who make interiors trying to stroke their own ego and enforce their opinions of what a ship should be onto you. Same could be said about exterior, but all you see is the exterior 95% of the time, so I can understand the fuss there.

How about we refine the definition into "a vaguely ship-shaped death brick with little detailing or effort" or something? Or would that fall under the category of "Battle Brick", "Doomogon", "Noob Tube", etc.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I do compact interiors. They are small compared to true ships with true interiors, but it has a reasonable number of rooms. One bridge, a crew deck, an engneering room, sleeping pods, shuttle bays... etc. It's better then just a corridor leading to the core, at least.

Reactions: Winterhome

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I do compact interiors. They are small compared to true ships with true interiors, but it has a reasonable number of rooms. One bridge, a crew deck, an engneering room, sleeping pods, shuttle bays... etc. It's better then just a corridor leading to the core, at least.
    Suggestion to make it feel more believable on top of it all: Add closed bulkheads that look vaguely like doors.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    How about we refine the definition into "a vaguely ship-shaped death brick with little detailing or effort" or something? Or would that fall under the category of "Battle Brick", "Doomogon", "Noob Tube", etc.
    Honestly, I've always called those ships "Battle bricks". The definition of "Brick" that we have (in the dictionary) is almost identical to doomcube, but in reality, there is a small difference (Old-site styled vaygr ships versus Joel's fridge. One is a battle brick, the other is a doom-blob)

"brick" should be replaced with something alone the lines of what you are suggesting methinks, or otherwise removed/merged with Doomcube and 'Combat Brick' be put in it's place. But that's just my opinion.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Honestly, I've always called those ships "Battle bricks". The definition of "Brick" that we have (in the dictionary) is almost identical to doomcube, but in reality, there is a small difference (Old-site styled vaygr ships versus Joel's fridge. One is a battle brick, the other is a doom-blob)

"brick" should be replaced with something alone the lines of what you are suggesting methinks, or otherwise removed/merged with Doomcube and 'Combat Brick' be put in it's place. But that's just my opinion.
    Yeah, definition merge, along with "Doomogon", "Noob Tube", and other descriptive terms referring back to "Battle Brick"

Doomcubes are cubic systems ships with no hull, for the most part, so battle bricks with hull are a slight improvement on them.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    No.

You're putting hastily slapped bricks covered up with hull and well crafted and good looking COMBAT SHIPS (meaning that they just have no interior) in the same boat.
    Overgeneralization is the use of small and/or non-representative samples of real data to make an inference that is incorrect. It is considered a cognitive bias, a logical fallacy, and a misuse of statistics.
    This has no interior. But it's not a doomcube either. It's a combat ship. A lot more work went into this then what would have gone into a cube or brick.

I think that you're just not being specific enough. I'm gonna go off on a guess and say that what you meant is a brick with slight decoration, very different from a visually pleasing combat ship. Just because a ship doesn't have any interior does not by definition make it a brick (which is a certain shape).

Honestly, comparing a proper ship with no interior to a doom-cube is insulting.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm gonna go off on a guess and say that what you meant is a brick with slight decoration, very different from a visually pleasing combat ship.
    Exactly what I meant. I probably should have been more specific. Something like, say, old DFN ships (basically bricks with some little wing-y bits attached) or joel's ships. From a distance, they might not even look that bad, but up close you realize they're just a brick with no interior to redeem their lightly decorated exterior.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Exactly what I meant. I probably should have been more specific. Something like, say, old DFN ships (basically bricks with some little wing-y bits attached) or joel's ships. From a distance, they might not even look that bad, but up close you realize they're just a brick with no interior to redeem their lightly decorated exterior.
    Aaaah, yep. Then I completely agree with you. Thanks for clearing it up, you should probably edit the original post (if you haven't done so already).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some things to add:
    AMS - Anti Missile System, other name for Point Defence Turrets.
    Coredrill - Weapon System designed to reach a ships core as fast as possible after ifs shields failed, most common types are Rapid Fire Cannons or Continuous Damage Beams with Punch-Through or Piercing Effect, another common type is stacked Missile Tubes.