Starmade Community Dictionary [Post entries, please!]

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is a project I have considered for a while now, and have finally decided to get it started. What it is, essentially, is a list of words and terms that noobs may not understand, and us older players may want to record for future generations of Starmates. I'm requesting that if you know a word that is unique to this community, please post it below using the template provided, and I will incorporate it into the main post.

Entry template-

[Name] ([Type of word]) Plural- [Plural of name]; [Definition] See: [Other references]

Example-
    Wafflecannon (n) Plural- wafflecannons; A large array of weapon blocks arranged in a checkerboard pattern to provide maximum efficiency and maximum lag. See: Ping

A
    Anti-matter Cannon (n) - pl. Anti-matter Cannons, abbr. AMC; the old name for the Cannon weapon, commonly used by older Starmates who refuse to let go of the past.
    B
    Brick (n) Plural- Bricks; Can also be referred to as 'System Blobs'. Functionally similar to the Doomcube (See Doomcube), the brick is an ugly mess of systems hastily slapped together and sometimes covered up with hull. Shapes can vary, but usually follow the vague shape of a brick, hence the name. See: Doomcube

Breadnaught (n) Name of a ship built by moderator Pholopalus, has risen to fame among Starmade users. See: Kilonaught.

Build-blocking (v.); The act of using a build block to quickly remove all of the blocks from a structure. Frequently used by spies on a homebase and those looking to make a quick buck off of scrap from an abandoned station. Formerly used to get large amounts of ore from planets. See: Spies, De-factioning.
    C
    D
    Doomcube (n) Plural- Doomcubes; Also known as noob-cube. A cubic ship made entirely out of systems, lacking hull or decoration. The intention of its usage usually being to exploit the turning dimensions mechanic. Used by trolls and lazy builders, the "Doomcube" is often considered a plague and is disliked by the majority of players.

Docked Reactor (n) Plural- Docked reactors; A separate ship made almost entirely of power reactors and power supply beams, triggered by logic, that when docked to its parent ship and its logic activated, provides additional power regeneration to overcome the power softcap of 1 million E/sec. Generally used in larger vessels. See: Power Reactor, Power Supply Beam, Softcap.

Drone (n) Plural- Drones; A ship-entity with at minimum a faction module and an active Bobby AI module set to "Ship" and without a jump drive or interior designed to be deployed in large quantities. Drones may be fitted with defensive effects when linked to logic only. A drone needs to have at least one tactical purpose, which can range from weapon systems over support and speciality systems up to a mere presence (chaff) purpose. Primary and secondary tactical systems as well as propulsion can be controlled by the AI OR/AND logic. Drones exhibit a thrust rating of above or including zero up to roughly one unit of thrust per mass, with permissible surplus when doubling as fighters. Dimensions and crafting materials used are often geared towards functionality. Deployment of drones can take the form of exchangable racks or single docking, depending on desired number and intended purpose. A drone's influence on the tactical scenario typically peaks within the first minute of deployment. Drones are currently intended for single-use.
    E
    F
    G
    H
    I

Illusive age (n) Plural- [none]; The time period which most StarMade veterans experienced, and by which some may define the term "StarMade veteran". The illusive age is defined by the time in which the illusive server was the most active server regarding factions present on the forum, ever faction on the forums had to be there to be recognized by most other factions on the forums. It is also the time of the oldsite, and the faction scene was radically different than todays factions. It was also the peak of ridik_ulass' observable activities. See: Illusive (server), ridik_ulass, oldsite
    J
    K

Kilonaught (n) Plural- Armageddon; A term used to describe ships in excess of several kilometers in total dimensions and millions in mass. Such a title denotes an obscene amount of shields and firepower for no logical reasoning aside from "Because I can" on the part of the creator. May not be synonymous with "Brick" or "DoomCube". See: Charon, Doomcube, Brick
    L
    M
    N
    O
    P
    PLEX (pre.) Used to denote an item's former name, typically found in the lexicon of veterans.

PD (n) Acronym for Point Defense, used to denote small turrets designed to shoot down incoming missiles and light craft.

Ping (n) Time neccesary for a server to return a response to the client, higher pings result in higher latency, and can lead to a disconnect. Ping can be viewed by pressing Tab.
    Q
    R
    Ridikulass (adj.) Used when the reasoning for an occurrence is confusing, missing, or suspicious. Normally used in political discussion on events. Stem- Ridik_Ulass

Ridik_Ulass <Disambiguation> (N) Ridikulousnesses; - Former leader of the now inactive "EuroCorp" faction. Enthousiast social engineer that enjoys to be perceived as "the bad guy". Became infamous after allegedly implanting spies in every large forum-based faction and possibly leading to the disbandment of at least one.
    S
    Skoomdrone (n) Plural- Skoomdrones; Drones that utilize logic-activated push-pulse systems to incapacitate enemies by disabling their control systems. Advanced versions are usually equipped with defensive push systems activated by logic in order to create unpredictable flight patterns and acceleration bursts. Is often seen as being "an incarnation of pure evil", and is only used by the most malicious of players. See: Drones

0stack (n) Plural- 0stacks; pronounced "nullstack" definition: an item stack with a size of 0 (Zero). Unlike an empty stack, it is known for the effect of empty inventories dropping items, which, if picked up, yield nothing.
    T
    Titan (n) Plural- Titans; A large ship-entity capable of dealing immense firepower and sustaining massive damage. In common usage, a titan is defined by one of three categories- Having a shield capacity of over fifty million (50,000,000), at least one dimension over one kilometer (1000 meters), or a mass over 750,000 (7,500,000 blocks). See: Ping
    U
    V
    W

Wafflecannon (n) Plural- wafflecannons; A large array of weapon blocks arranged in a checkerboard pattern to provide maximum efficiency and maximum lag. See: Ping
    X
    Y
    Z

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    DoomCube. Noun. Doomcubes. - Also known as noob-cube. A cubic ship made entirely out of systems, lacking hull or decoration. The intention of it's usage usually being to exploit the turning dimensions mechanic. Used by trolls and lazy builders, the "Doomcube" is often considered a plague and is disliked by the majority of players.

Brick. Noun. Bricks. - Can also be referred to as "system-blobs". Functionally similar to the "doomcube", the brick is an uggly mess of systems hastily slapped together and sometime covered up with hull. Shapes can vary, but usually follow the vague shape of a brick, hence the name.

Skoomdrone. Noun. Skoomdrones. - Drones that utilize logic-activated push-pulse systems to incapacitate enemies by disabling their control systems. Advanced versions are usually equipped with defensive push systems activated by logic in order to create unpredictable flight patterns and acceleration bursts. Is often seen as being "an incarnation of pure evil", and is only used by the most malicious of players. See also: drones.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Anti-matter Cannon (n) - pl. Anti-matter Cannons, abbr. AMC; the old name for the Cannon weapon, commonly used by older Starmates who refuse to let go of the past.

Reactions: Lecic and Keptick

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Okay, I might have one to add to this...?

D - Docked Reactor (N), plural, docked reactors. A separate ship made almost entirely of power reactors and power supply beams, triggered by logic, that when docked to its parent ship and its logic activated, provides additional power regeneration to overcome the power softcap of 1 million E/sec. Generally used in larger vessels. See also: Power Reactor, Power Supply Beam, Softcap.

Reactions: Lecic

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Ridikulass, adjective; When the reasoning for an occurrence is confusing, missing, or suspicious. Normally used in political discussion on events.

Kilonaught, noun, pl. Armageddon; A term used to describe ships in excess of several kilometers in total dimensions and millions in mass. Such a title denotes an obscene amount of shields and firepower for no logical reasoning aside from "Because I can". May not be synonymous with "Brick" or "DoomCube". Also see: Charon.

Because I can into helpz.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Is there even anyone with a neutral opinion on Ridik?
    There are those with positive and negative opinions on him, if one removes all the contradicting aspects of the opinions, one will be left with a fairly neutral opinion. Remaining bias should be filterable by a human-esk entity.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    not really sure how to use this because it's a bit of a weird one xD
    Plex, prefix; used to denote an items former name, typically found in the lexicon of veterans.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    not really sure how to use this because it's a bit of a weird one xD
    Plex, prefix; used to denote an items former name, typically found in the lexicon of veterans.
    I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think that PLEX is ALWAYS capitalized, because DOCTER PLEX DOESN'T HAVE TIME FOR INDOOR VOICE.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    PD - Acronym for "Point Defense" - Used by some players to refer to mounted cannon turrets that has it's Bobby AI set to shoot only at incomming enemy missiles.

Reaction score
    -- Thumbs Up!! --

On behalf of the NOOB COMMUNITY, I thank yall for the info & humor ~.o

I am curious, though, why, for example, "Anti-matter Cannon" is still used in-game (Ship Entity Menu) if it's now just a Cannon that fires a projectile of we-don't-really-know-what...

► I believe it was Archimedes who said, "Everyone was a noob at one time. The difference is that some of us will remain noobs our entire lives."

~ee

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    -- Thumbs Up!! --

On behalf of the NOOB COMMUNITY, I thank yall for the info & humor ~.o

I am curious, though, why, for example, "Anti-matter Cannon" is still used in-game (Ship Entity Menu) if it's now just a Cannon that fires a projectile of we-don't-really-know-what...

► I believe it was Archimedes who said, "Everyone was a noob at one time. The difference is that some of us will remain noobs our entire lives."

~ee
    Schema has probably just forgotten to change that. It's in such a hidden spot, I'm not surprised.

Reaction score
    Rebuttal question: Why is it no longer an Anti-matter Cannon? (Did someone's Titan's Supa-Planet-Killa-Cannon have a misfire resulting in catastrophic 50" monitor damage?) I kinda prefer that the projectile be an energy entity than a physical entity. "Cannon" just underwhelmes me with thoughts of a broadside of solid-iron cannonballs from the "Age of Sail."

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Rebuttal question: Why is it no longer an Anti-matter Cannon? (Did someone's Titan's Supa-Planet-Killa-Cannon have a misfire resulting in catastrophic 50" monitor damage?) I kinda prefer that the projectile be an energy entity than a physical entity. "Cannon" just underwhelmes me with thoughts of a broadside of solid-iron cannonballs from the "Age of Sail."
    I don't think the name really matters, but there was a small whisper through a few threads that showed that people found that Anti-matter to not be all that fitting of a name, since the weapon projectile behaves nothing like Anti-matter should.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There should also be a formal and neutral explanation on who ridik_ulass was.
    Ridik_Ulass (N) Ridikulousnesses; - A former member, leader of the now inactive "eurocorp" faction. Enthousiast social engineer that enjoys to be perceived as "the bad guy". Became infamous after allegedly implanting spies in every big forum factions and possibly leading to the disbandments of some.

I think that's pretty neutral ^_^

Last edited:

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    From the Encyclopaedia of Space, Colonial Fleet Edition, Volume 57, Part IV, page 852:

"A drone is a ship-entity with at minimum a faction module and an active Bobby AI module set to "Ship" and without a jump drive or interior designed to be deployed in large quantities. Drones may be fitted with defensive effects when linked to logic only. A drone needs to have at least one tactical purpose, which can range from weapon systems over support and speciality systems up to a mere presence (chaff) purpose. Primary and secondary tactical systems as well as propulsion can be controlled by the AI OR/AND logic. Drones exhibit a thrust rating of above or including zero up to roughly one unit of thrust per mass, with permissible surplus when doubling as fighters. Dimensions and crafting materials used are often geared towards functionality. Deployment of drones can take the form of exchangable racks or single docking, depending on desired number and intended purpose. A drone's influence on the tactical scenario typically peaks within the first minute of deployment. Drones are currently intended for single-use.

Reactions: Keptick

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    There are those with positive and negative opinions on him, if one removes all the contradicting aspects of the opinions, one will be left with a fairly neutral opinion. Remaining bias should be filterable by a human-esk entity.
    Of course, this backfires in many scenarios - such as when pitting anti-vaxxers against scientists. You remove everything that's contradictory and you end up with no truth remaining.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Of course, this backfires in many scenarios - such as when pitting anti-vaxxers against scientists. You remove everything that's contradictory and you end up with no truth remaining.
    In case something is left, it is either something very close to the truth, or both sides were very wrong(which I don't think is the case in this case).
    If both sides completely contradict, nothing will be left, and nothing is always true IMO, as it cannot be false.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    In case something is left, it is either something very close to the truth, or both sides were very wrong(which I don't think is the case in this case).
    If both sides completely contradict, nothing will be left, and nothing is always true IMO, as it cannot be false.
    If both sides completely contradict, and only one side is right, though, you end up with a totally false image as a result of allowing equal speaking time to the wrong side.