StarMade 0.0947: Update Inbetween

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello and welcome to StarMade,

this version is released in the middle of some new features. That's why the changelog isn't very long.

This update contains a database migration which can take a little on the first startup with the new version. Please do not terminate the process.

Hotfix #1 (no server update needed): Fixed exception when synching with a modified block config from the server

Here is an introduction what one of the new features is going to be. It's not done yet, but will hopefully very soon.

AI-Creatures / NPC-Astronauts

There will be critters, monsters, pirates, aliens spawning on planets and space stations. They will be fully consistent and only despawn in certain circumstances. Players will be able to interact with them, and can in some cases even command them.

The creature system will be modular, that means there will be a huge amount of generated creatures, all with different compositions and stats like being able to fly or crawl on walls, or what type of attack and defense they are using, and much more.

I hope to give more detailed information soon, but I hate to promise things I can't hold 100%

Changelog

This version has some nice fixes especially for bigger servers. It should also decrease the lag from physics on servers immensely. Here is the full changelog (without work on new feature):

- added server config REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION, to only allow clients that do an authentication
    - removed possible source of lag when new players log in
    - added ban/whitelist-by-starmade-account
    - added admin commands to manage banning whitelisting by account
    - added login backlog for players with time, ip, name, and starmade account (if authenticated)
    - added server.cfg option to define the size of the player login histroy back log
    - added admin command /player_info <name> to retrieve detailed information about a player (even if player is offline)
    - players may now protect multiple names on a server (amount cutomizable in server.cfg)
    - added admin commands /player_protect <playerName> <accountName> to manage playername protection from within the game
    - added admin commands /player_unprotect <playerName> to manage playername protection from within the game
    - implemented asteroid using dynamic physics (in server.cfg default of for testing)
    - fixed massive slowdown for server when multiple astronauts where in the same area
    - improved general physics performance (mirroring because of sector borders had a bug where the game would calculate costly but unnecessary collisions up to 6 times more often)
    - fixed bug where astronauts of other players would be glitching out at random places on other clients (bug in jBullet where a vital clean up was missing) (this was a long existing one that was hard to spot)
    - fixed loading of some corrupt blueprints done in a special pre-build
    - better fix for glitching around in single cores (fast rotation when leaving core)

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    I am not sure if I will be frinedly with these new creatures or commit genocide...but whatever it will be, this update sounds epic...easily biggest update in a while

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Have the npc characters in the stations give randomly generated missions.

Also, if you salvage/mine their station they kill you :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    WOW, i like this news very much. hope we can get or hands on some more new fetures soon

Reaction score
    at least give us some body armor >.< what if they are hostile and we didn\'t know?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I\'m not sure how your migration is suppose to work but this just seems like its not.

http://192.111.129.148/files/log.txt.0

every now and then inbetween the recording size it puts this

[2013-11-11 12:04:11] [TAG] WARNING STRUCT DESERIALIZATION took too long: 42;

Reaction score
    could you post a picture or something of the new aliens and creatchures

sorry on the spelling

Reaction score
    For all these new non-player entities, I\'ve been doing quite a lot of modeling and animating. ;) Now that Schema has someone who can do that kind of stuff for him and deal with all the art technical aspects, Schema has been able to focus on coding epic new features like this in while I can focus on making interesting and various models to be manipulated by his code.

The player/NPC model would probably come out a little sooner if I wasn\'t also working with a variety of other models to accomodate other life forms, but the delay should only be slight and I think everyone can agree this will be a wonderful addition to the game. :) Also, maybe now it\'s a bit more clear why everyone needed pistols. ;)

Reaction score
    It appears as though every time the server and client have different config files and the client tries to get the server\'s config it fails with error \"ZipException: Not in GZIP format\". As long as both the server and client start with the same config it\'s fine, but if it has to synchronize them it fails with that error.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I\'m able to see my entire ship without it being hindered by draw distances. Thanks Schema! :D

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi, I just confirmed that that is a problem with an existing cache. remove all *.xml from the client-database folder, and it should synch fine

Reaction score
    Schema, is there something else that can be done than assuming everyone will know to clear their cache?

Reaction score
    Hi schema.

We lost 6 Gig of 30 ... now its really stable looking after migration and cleanup ...

But one question what means in the name column (* upgraded)? And after written the nicks?

Now, please next updates present new features ... the milestone for client/server nice connection is done ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
    Great update schema, yet again!

However i ahve noticed that all of a sudden the targeting icons in space are about 2-3 blocks lower than they should be for some reason. Not a majour problem, just thought id let you know :)

And once again thanks for another waesome update

Reaction score
    I downloaded the update from the launcher but when joining a server with custom blockconfig I get the error \"not in gzip format\" and when finally connecting it disconnects because of an arrayoutofboundsexception. Do I have to get the hotfix from the builds page?

Reaction score
    Hmm with the addition the modular creature system, do you think having randomly generated space hulk like things would be possible? For example maybe an abandoned spaceship generated that contains random loot, has power rooms and gunnery batteries and alien colonies. It would be extremely interesting and add some flavor to the game world.