StarMade 0.09377

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello again,

Network

I worked all day to figure out the ping issues that were plaguing some servers. Especially the issue when one high-ping user comes in, everybody's ping seemed to go up.

Technical:

I kept testing the issue with 3 machines (one real dedicated server I had to deploy on every change, and 2 clients), which is a very tedious process. And I can't even be sure if it is now working for servers with a lot more players. I artificially set the latency of one of the clients to 1000+ (=2000+ ping), and tried to find out why the other client's ping would change even though both are handled in their own threads server-sided, and are also not blocking.

I used wire-shark to check every single packet and their sent/receive times.

Turns out, that one of the bugs was that the output stream flushed on every single packed (for both client and server), which simply means a lot of overhead, since native I/O has to be accessed. I solved this by only flushing when there is currently no more packets to send (otherwise it will flush when the buffer is full).

The other bug was far harder to find, and I still don't know the full reason. I buffered the input stream which is basically a dangerous setting, since it could lead to a latency of the receiving threads wanting to read (they wait for more data).

I also added some debug options to the server cfg, and forced some values to reset on the update. I hope this update will at least get rid of the high-ping-without-server-load thing.

Modified blueprints

I now took off the safety of the modified-blueprint-detector. Admins can now (configured in server.cfg) do one or more of the following automatically if a modified blueprint is detected:

• Kick the user
    • Ban the user by name
    • Ban the user by IP
    • delete the blueprint (backup will be created)

Salvaging

Due to salvage beams being used as a weapon, the following will now change:

• Only overheating ships can be salvaged
    • Stations with active faction module cannot be salvaged (must be destroyed first)

Fallback

I also put in an option in the settings.cfg (start once on the new update for it to appear), for players that got less render performance than before from the last update. the option G_USE_TWO_COMPENENT_SHADER has to be set to true to use it (but only use it if you are sure that the new rendering style is causing the problem)

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    great to see how active the bug fixing is!

I can see this game becomming the next minecraft (in indie success terms)

Reaction score
    There\'s nothing more than the fresh scent of a new, frequent update. MMmmm. Love it.

Reaction score
    Please, nerf shields and/or decrease the power of antimatter cannons, it makes hardend hulls useless and a waste of money when even small ships can destroy one in a single shot!

If not, then quadruple the cost of shield despersers!

Reaction score
    Also, i\'d like to point out that harvesting an abandond ship should be allowed, unless is it docked with a stationary object such as a faction base, or better yet, if the vessel has an activated faction module on, you cannot harvest it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello! It’s Xouxoux from Star-made.fr.

Thank you for this update! But there’s a little problem you might already be aware of : for some reason, about half of the players can’t connect to the server, they are getting EOF exceptions, and they appear on the server connected with a 0ms ping. This happens exactly since the update.
    I hope a hotfix will quickly solve the issue.

Reaction score
    Getting server issues as well... Crashes every few minutes right after the update.

Yes we reviewed everything that got reset, and put it back to our original setting.

What\'s going on? Everything was working extremely well before this update.

Reaction score
    HUh? whats the point of NURFING sheilds?

weapons outstrip sheilds so quickly its a joke. a 2 500 block anti-matter cannons destroy a ship sheilded by 2000 blocks in less than 3 seconds of sustained fire.

Most large class ships can destroy themselves in less than 5 seconds continued fire, even when 60% of their mass is in sheilds. Often ship battles with anything larger than fighters are over the moment 1 player gets a volly off.

reducing anti-matter cannon damage, and increseing hull health is the option.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My server is also crashing all over the place with EOF errors and ping/pong messages .... tried to do a clean wipe and it didnt help. Also tried changing the network switchs in the config but with no joy .... Had to revert to the backup :) The backup system is nice ! thanks for this feature.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Salvaging

Due to salvage beams being used as a weapon, the following will now change:

• Only overheating ships can be salvaged

This sucks on ice !

Reaction score
    I logged in one day to find my 300mil credit ship had been salvaged to death in a protected sector...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    changes to salvaging very good, you griefers will have to work a bit before easy material will come to you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No updated servers seem to be running with authentication mode enabled as it makes them crash.....

Simply get a list of updated servers and check on there forums for there admins names...... or players. Then just login as them and have lots of fun making changes to there server ... or taking there players ships for nice joy ride !!!!!!!