Starlaunch - WIP launcher replacement [Now released on Windows, Mac and Linux]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    ugh, it is THAT mistake I made and I thought I fixed it.
    instead of downloading the actual file, it downloaded a generated html file. No wonder it didn't work.
    Download this for now until I have fixed the installer.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    the installer is fixed.
    a redownload isn't required unless you had problems with executing the updater.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Bit of an update

I know I said i would fix a few of the issues with the program, but I kinda lost motivation to even starmade, let alone make this. Sorry about that :s

I am currently on holiday, and without a real computer, my brain started to do that think where ideas happen (hurt 'n' everything).

As soon as I get back, I am going to be doing an entire new version of starlaunch (maybe 2, regular and a lite that can go on USB sticks. o_O). This will be a complete, ground up rebuild, and have lots of awesomes in it. It will have all the same features as the current one, but better!

I will show what I mean when I have gathered my thoughts and made Something.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Quick update on the new version (nothing to show yet though :( )

You know how this site has the community content section? how cool would it be if the launcher had a version that would instantly install the mod/ship/station to the installations you have selected? pretty cool right? well i decided to do that. To have a thing added to this section, simply PM me the URL of it's page here :)

I have only done background work for this, along with a basic crappy prototype which is so bad that I won't share it in any way, but now the basic system is done, shouldn't be long until something is released, although based on how many times i have said that in this thread, don't hold me too it ;)

Does anyone have suggestions for the style of the UI? I know the sort of layout I want, but the style is undecided, and will probably involve a fair amount of arguing with @Crusade again :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You know how this site has the community content section? how cool would it be if the launcher had a version that would instantly install the mod/ship/station to the installations you have selected? pretty cool right? well i decided to do that. To have a thing added to this section, simply PM me the URL of it's page here
    Or you could just set up a little html parser :P

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Or you could just set up a little html parser :p
    I want complete control over everything. I could cheat and use the built in .NET web browser item, but that is lazy, and I can't control the web pages. I want as much control as I can get :)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    So I was screwing around with the UI today, not done any actual code, just screwing around with images and placement, and I have something I am actually quite happy with for once :D

This is an actual application, so not something made in PS that gets your hopes up, only not to be able to get it perfect :)

A few things will change, for example, the launch button will be changed to "launch game", and a few other tweaks. I am actually quite enjoying the minimalist block colour style.

*edit - updated image with minor tweaks*

Opinions?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Reilly Reese

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Just finished porting the news reader from the current starlaunch to the new one

The text formatting may be a little weird because it is optimised for the site, and I don't want a web browser in the window as that feels abit tacky, so I have added a button that will allow you to read it on the site.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Starlaunch now has a diagnostics section! It is powered by SMC, the tool the official tester team uses to determine if someone's PC is capable of playing starmade. Thanks to @fire219 for creating it, and allowing me to include it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While I understeand reason why You use this font, it makes reading info so painfull...

therimmer96

Reaction score
    While I understeand reason why You use this font, it makes reading info so painfull...
    I understand completely, I though the exact same, some of areas such as the news feed has been changed to Arial Regular for easy reading :)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    If anyone has any suggestions as too features StarLaunch could provide, suggest them below :)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Server List with IPs for top ten Starmade servers!

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Server List with IPs for top ten Starmade servers!
    that would require me finding out how the ingame query system works, I have asked Schema about this before, he seemed reluctant to give it me, or I could ask all the servers for their starmade-servers.com API codes, but that would allow me to interfere with a few things (not that I would, but people have to think security), or I could HTML parse the site itself, which I really CBA doing :/

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Basically, I am lazy and really don't want to set up a HTML parser. I have no experience with HTML, and honestly, don't want any :)

So unless schema decides to reveal the query system too me (which I don't want to ask for because I am waiting for a skype response about something else, don't want to pile up requests ;) ), or the servers all send me their API code, not gonna happen (I had this idea a long time ago for the first version of SL, didn't happen for the same reasons).

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well it's an idea for a later date.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How about regular expressions @therimmer96 ?

Basically you can search for a "class=\"server", then maybe the next "<div" ... Then start reading at the next ">" and stop at the next "<" one after another.

Or build a Tree (like in explorer.exe) and do like in ((1, 2, 3, 4)or(3b, 4b));
    1. search for "<", read tag name, any amount of white-space ("class" before("/" or ">"), "=\"", read classes, "\"") or("/" before(">"), any amount white-space, ">") or(">", read tag-content into a deeper level of your Tree, "</")
    read tag-content = start a new instance of step 1 before continuing.
    read classes = separate them by white-space after you found the second quote char.

But there are also finished solutions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.