Star Wars inspired Textures, WIP, Feedback appreciated

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That looks epic. Those generators look like they are harvesting the power of some form of violent energy . . . Much awesomeness.

Reactions: der_scheme
    Reaction score
    Wow....I just filled my drool cup. Great work, can't wait to try it out.

Reaction score
    Power tanks*, Storage crates**, AMCs*** and Glass.
    starmade-screenshot-0060.png starmade-screenshot-0059.png starmade-screenshot-0061.png

* Designed to hold that green gleaming fuel that the dugs harvest on Malastare. You can also use it to build these walls in the DS1's tractor beam chamber.
    ** No, they don't look like the Weighted Storage Cubes from Portal. The WSCs look like the storage crates from the first Star Wars movie. :D
    *** Will probably change them again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Power tanks*, Storage crates**, AMCs*** and Glass.
    View attachment 1108 View attachment 1109 View attachment 1110

* Designed to hold that green gleaming fuel that the dugs harvest on Malastare. You can also use it to build these walls in the DS1's tractor beam chamber.
    ** No, they don't look like the Weighted Storage Cubes from Portal. The WSCs look like the storage crates from the first Star Wars movie. :D
    *** Will probably change them again.
    The glass is epic. Clean and smooth, yet sharp. I really like it.

The power tanks also look great, as do the storage crates.

AMC's . . . I don't dislike them, but they don't look that great compared to the rest. I think it's the texture on the side of them - it looks strange to have that pattern repeating down the side when it is really only a section that should be at the end of the cannon. I'd suggest changing that heavily. The opening of the cannon looks great though.

You're doing a great job, keep it up :)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Glass awesome

The crates could use some color

Reaction score
    This just gets better and better, although I do agree with Wolfchild on the AMCs, maybe just some straight lines on the sides, so they better resemble one unit when chained together.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This just gets better and better, although I do agree with Wolfchild on the AMCs, maybe just some straight lines on the sides, so they better resemble one unit when chained together.
    That would make it look much more complete and smooth. Looks broken up currently.

Reaction score
    Those storage crates are awesome! Maybe a little too clean for my taste, but still amazing. Keep up the good work!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really don't like the power generators that much. They seem... off a bit.

The storage crates don't look like crates, they look like colored blocks. They need something that indicates a latch, or that something can open.
    I agree with the comments about the sides of the AMCs

The power tanks look great.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the feedback. :)
    Note that the textures are not in their final state. I'm currently targeting a first draft of all textures, so that I can release an alpha version soon (and resume playing :D ). Most of the work I'm currently doing is research, and creating the 3D models. When I'm done with that, I'll be adding additional bumpmaps and textures which will simulate traces of use.

• AMCs: I'm not satisfied with them either, probably out of the same reasons as you. The problem here is that laser cannons and turbolasers are usually not very detailed. They are mostly a fat cylinder with a thin one sticking out. I tried to simulate that, but it obviously doesn't look good. :D I have some new ideas, though.
    • Crates: These can be seen in the first movie at two occasions (haven't noticed them elsewhere): on Chewie and the rest entering Docking Bay 94 (two, red and yellow, probably turned upside down) and the one containing the scanning equipment that the two imperials on the Death Star bring aboard the Falcon. They seem to be single-colored and open at the upside. We currently have only one texture we can style, thus they will appear the same on all sides. I'll be leaving them for now, and will add some bumps and stains at a later time.
    • Power generators: ltmauve: In case you dislike the panels: I don't like them either. I'm going make some screenshots (currently watching the original trilogy for the millionth time—"Fast ship... You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon?!") and will take some measurements (button margins and stuff).

By the way—what do you guys think about these surfaces? That's supposed to be the Hardened Grey Hull. To me, the color seems too light, the pattern too dark and the normal maps too faint.
    starmade-screenshot-0062.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Indeed not that good to me. If you want to try something else for the crates check KOTOR. They have several storage unit types

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It looks like white hardened hull, but the pattern is good. Make it more grey, and it'll be a lot better.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Cool! Love that series. SWtOR doesn't count though ;)

Reactions: Azurite
    Reaction score
    Agree 100% with you on the Grey Hardened Hull, but maybe if you just dull it a bit, it would look a lot better. And don't change those storage units, they're perfect!

Reaction score
    Only a small update.

SD KB Missile Array—inspired by Star Wars proton torpedo launchers. Not as cool as I had hoped, but maybe I can polish that up a bit once I get on the details.
    starmade-screenshot-0063.png

Ship Core—based on Starfighter power cores. Quite contradictory to how I use the core (entry point and primary camera -> cockpit/bridge), but close to how it is probably intended. It is tileable in every direction, but doesn't have an animation yet because I couldn't think of something cool. Maybe I'll put a discharge in one frame, just for the animation's sake. :D
    starmade-screenshot-0064.png

Reaction score
    Changed color and (slightly) the pattern of the Hardened Grey Hull.
    starmade-screenshot-0066.png
    It now does look kind of weird, though, when viewed from farther away (where different gaps connect, there is some strange color on the other side). I don't know what is causing this. :/
    starmade-screenshot-0067.png

Turret Docking Unit. Modeled after the turret sockets on Imperial Star Destroyers (only scaled down by about 35 times :) ).
    starmade-screenshot-0070.png
    Docking Module. Inspired by the docking rings that can be found on small starships (i.e. Millenium Falcon, Republic Cruiser, Tantive IV).
    starmade-screenshot-0071.png

This is all supposed to be the same grey. It seems there is something wrong with the hull's normals. I guess I messed up when trying to resolve the issue above. :D

Reaction score
    Actually, embracing different shades and hues of grey might look cooler. It was my technique on Dirtyspace. If you look at the matte paintings of the deathstar, you can clearly see multiple different greys. Could be nice :D