SPACE WHALES CONFIRMED!

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Awesome, thanks for the response!

I'm not sure I'd like to be able to spawn fauna/NPCs as a normal part of single player gameplay, but if I'm making set-pieces or "levels" for other astronauts to explore it would be a nice feature. Imagine a player trying to recreate the Alien movie on isolated mining outpost. We can make a station blueprint to spawn, but we can't actually specify that there be an alien on the ship. It would similarly be odd to set up an abandoned derelict that told a story, but then had crew NPCs dynamically spawn on it. Being able to specify NPC spawning in these kinds of cases would allow players to make a lot more interesting and dynamic content for other players to explore.
    There will be a way to define fauna spawning and NPC spawning as we recognise the benefit that this would offer to content creators, especially with its ability to integrate with some of our other plans. It would probably be an admin-only option though, similarly restricted access to the mob spawner in Minecraft.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    There will be a way to define fauna spawning and NPC spawning as we recognise the benefit that this would offer to content creators, especially with its ability to integrate with some of our other plans. It would probably be an admin-only option though, similarly restricted access to the mob spawner in Minecraft.
    This is pretty much what I was thinking. I would just add that it should be more then just admin restricted. By that, I mean actually having to edit configuration files, not just in-game slash commands. Understanding I may be in a minority, a config option to disable the slash commands?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Perfect. Thanks Bench. Ark-Tec Emergency Resettlement Services, here I come!

Reaction score
    This actually sounds good. Like, a space bugturtle. I really want to see this now.
    I think we could use a setting for how lenient the procedural system is. So parts could have a rating of fittingness, if you set the fauna config to 1, it goes completely wacko random, .5, it does as is intended, 0, it's very strict or uses preset only.

I wonder if the game could determine a way to modify the part procedurally to fit the creature(like if it had a skeleton in it that could bend)? Dunno how you could determine what changes to make, maybe depending on what the environment/goals or the finished animal's visual profile or something. Perhaps the game would take the finished model and simulate a few things to get a few modifications. Kinda a stretch, I guess.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I would just add that it should be more then just admin restricted. By that, I mean actually having to edit configuration files, not just in-game slash commands. Understanding I may be in a minority, a config option to disable the slash commands?
    I think the problem with this is you sometimes need them(bugs and whatnot). I think with admins.txt you can do this, though.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A silly NPC design, yes, but one I hope yields valuable Fun when shot at. :P

Now, if there are any other designs for large whale-y organisms, I'd love to see them.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Wait, was the space whale a creation of the procedural fauna generation system, or its own model, like the quad? Looks very cool though, very excited to see what comes in the future! :)

Edit: Oops, just read more of the thread, sorry 'bout that. :confused:

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    Ok, got another one.

"The best kind of government is a dictatorship with the right guy at the top."

I'm totally lost as to who said that. Maybe it was even just my dad trying to be a smartass.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Weren't You saying that fauna will be procedurally generated?
    Some will; some will be pregenerated. Particularly fauna involved in story quests and things, and the 'test' fauna like the quadcrab, will be fully pre-built.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well we've got space whales.... so when do we get Ore Boars and Crystal trees? Honestly the only reason I can think of to include fauna at all in a sandbox is to add a logistical boon that either aids crafting, or survival. Fauna as exploration seems kind of moot as once you've seen it all, you've got the T-shirt, and now what? Fauna as productive agro-industrial creatures on the other hand... Now THAT is worth using.

Look at other sandboxes, fauna are either useful in some manner or completely a waste of time. Terraria- creatures serve as bait, sources of loot, and the main antagonists.
    Minecraft - industry, survival, it all revolves around creatures as a major source of fuel. Especially true of the mod community as well
    Starbound - completely useless except as antagonists to give the player something to do. Although, they are changing it bit by bit.

Hopefully Starmade adds some sort of industry to these guys...

Sorry but I'm in the boat that says why are you using resources on this for so long? Not to sound insulting or crass but... Artists, okay... do they know only 3d art or are they living, learning humans too? o_O cause most people will have more than one major skillset. They could almost certainly having been using their time in a more functionally conducive manner? As opposed to giving us creatures that are... whales... the running gag of sci-fi...

If this had been a ten minute, that's cute, sort of joke I'd think that'd have been more apropos. Cant help but feel this is either a major sink or swim moment and it's leaning quickly towards the kitchen sink.

So i'll leave you with some ore boars..

Reaction score
    Sorry but I'm in the boat that says why are you using resources on this for so long? Not to sound insulting or crass but... Artists, okay... do they know only 3d art or are they living, learning humans too? o_O cause most people will have more than one major skillset. They could almost certainly having been using their time in a more functionally conducive manner? As opposed to giving us creatures that are... whales... the running gag of sci-fi...

If this had been a ten minute, that's cute, sort of joke I'd think that'd have been more apropos. Cant help but feel this is either a major sink or swim moment and it's leaning quickly towards the kitchen sink.
    I think it's still a bit early to make predictions on "sink or swim" when all they have shown is an, admittedly silly, space whale.
    I'd give Schine the benefit of doubt to wait and see what else they have in store. Maybe it was (yeah right I know...) a ten minute joke.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think it's still a bit early to make predictions on "sink or swim" when all they have shown is an, admittedly silly, space whale.
    I'd give Schine the benefit of doubt to wait and see what else they have in store. Maybe it was (yeah right I know...) a ten minute joke.
    I really hope it was a joke, to be honest I'm looking at youtube videos of people doing far more spectacular work by themselves in 3 hours. Let alone a team of people nearly 6 months.

I also hope if it's not a joke there is some damn good story reasoning behind it, cause a quick, "just because you wanted fluff" excuse is a storyboard nightmare. The rest of the game itself is shaping up quite nicely, it'd just be a shame to see something so immersion breaking added. :(

I'll of course take a wait and see approach to this(what other option is there?), but I really can't help but feel this is either a terrible joke or a poor management decision.