[SOLVED]Launcher won't open

Reaction score
    So, today my launcher stopped working.
    As I double click the StarMade-starter.exe, javaw.exe pops up in task manager for a few seconds, only to disappear.
    Nothing else happens.
    Same thing with minecraft, tried numerous of their fixes, no help.

I uninstalled the game, only to find I cannot re-install without the launcher. :oops:
    I re-installed java 64- and 32-bit
    Installed JDK - (what ever that is, suggested somewhere.)
    Restarted several times. (After new installations)

It seems to be very java related, but I am a noob that needs help!

Specs:
    AMD Athlon II P360 Dual-Core 2.30GHz
    4 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6470M
    Windows 7 64-bit

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    That does sound like a broken Java install to me.
    The launcher itself is not in any protected folder ? (desktop,programmfiles or something like that?)

uninstall all Java versions through the windows progrmas console (sorry do not know how that is named in english)
    then get the 64 bit java 8 version from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (if english is wrong, language selection is on the bottom of the page)
    JDK is the Java Development Kit afaik. That solves problems with non standard intel and HP PC solutions ... when i have read that right.

Reactions: Krutzelpuntz
    Reaction score
    The launcher itself is not in any protected folder?

uninstall all Java versions through the windows progrmas console (sorry do not know how that is named in english)
    I have tried various folders for the launcher, and unfortunately, it make no difference.

Tried to re-install java yesterday (and again today, just to be sure), without luck.
    Thank you for the suggestions though :)

I think I was changing the settings of the game prior to the error, as of this post, though I also think I had the game running afterwards.

Would there be any game files to uninstall, other than installation folder and Appdata .starmade?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Must be a bug with a particular Java version, if it used to work previously. If so, try downloading an older Java version and see if that works.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Please try to download a fresh copy of the launcher from: http://star-made.org/download

If this still does not start, open a console (cmd) and type:
    java -d32 -version
    java -d64 -version

and paste the replies in here please.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Please try to download a fresh copy of the launcher from: http://star-made.org/download

If this still does not start, open a console (cmd) and type:
    java -d32 -version
    java -d64 -version

and paste the replies in here please.

- Andy
    Already tried downloading new launcher, several times.

Code:
    C:\Users\Jakob>java -d32 -version
    Error: This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
    Please install the desired version.
    ^strange, should be installed
    Code:
    C:\Users\Jakob>java -d64 -version
    java version "1.8.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b18)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)
    I completely uninstalled Java following this guide:
    I'd not recommend this, unless you know what you are doing!

And reinstalled, then rebooted.

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    That guide is a bit messy and also dangerous.

He removes files from system folders without any reasoning and enough details when to avoid deleting a file.

Also the JavaRa auto-install features use the java built-in update, that usually forgets the 64bit versions...

Removing Java by using the uninstaller it was shipped with is enough to unregister it from the system.
    Then get the 64bit installer from
    http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    and run it.
    This is usually the steps required to get Java running correctly. If the 32bit version check fails, it may be a good idea to also use the 32bit offline installer, to have both JREs ready to run.

Try starting the launcher then.

Some driver issues and startup crashs require to install the Java Development Kit (JDK),
    Uninstall all Java-Versions from program management on windows.
    then get it from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

If the launcher still refuses to start, make sure you have no security software blocking java or sandboxing it in some way.

- Andy

Reaction score
    That guide is a bit messy and also dangerous.

He removes files from system folders without any reasoning and enough details when to avoid deleting a file.

Also the JavaRa auto-install features use the java built-in update, that usually forgets the 64bit versions...
    I had an idea of my java being corrupted, and that the the corruption would not be uninstalled.
    But in most cases, I'd not recommend following this guide.
    I only did the uninstall steps, and was very careful with the Search Everything tool, but thank you for the warning.

Also, I have always downloaded the offline installer, as you know exactly what you get.

What caused the problem is unclear to me, and what solved it, maybe even more, but it works now!

If anyone tries this, I'd recommend to uninstall all versions of java,
    and login to oracle.com and download an older version of java.

Must be a bug with a particular Java version, if it used to work previously. If so, try downloading an older Java version and see if that works.
    The newest a.t.m. is 8, and I reverted to 6, then upgraded 6 to 8. Thank you for your suggestion Mariux.

If you get the "Could not find main class: org.schema.common.updater.launcher. program will exit", you should make sure to have the same version of 32bit and 64bit java.

If it still won't work, download the linux launcher, put it in the same folder as your windows launcher, and open the windows launcher. (Thanks Crusade!)

I hope this will be of help in the future!

Reactions: Mariux