[SOLVED] An Unusual Socket Exception

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Note: Solved! I'm adding this little top bit for the sake of search tags just in case someone else has the same error~ " SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol family: connect "

As of recently, starting within this past week, I have been having a very strange socket error pop up every time that I start the launcher. At first I tried to ignore it, but what happened when I started the game and attempted to join a server was that the game crashed and gave me the same error.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the problem is, but currently I cannot update the game from the launcher, I cannot log in to any servers, and I apparently can't play single-player either. When attempting to use single-player, it throws me the whole crash message about Intel integrated graphics, which hasn't been an issue at all for a very long time. I would try to update my drivers, but it seems that they're recent. It doesn't seem to be my firewall and I tried re-downloading the launcher to no avail. I was going to simply try re-installing StarMade, but if the launcher doesn't work fully and properly, that honestly doesn't do me much good. I have also tried simply disabling IPv6 on my computer, as this seems from the error message to be an IP issue, but that did me absolutely no good either. Further, I saw an old thread on a similar issue where someone mentioned fixing it via finding and uninstalling a certain malware program, but I searched my computer, via the program uninstall dialogue as suggested in said post, and also via virus scan with no luck.

I'm running StarMade on a Windows 7 computer and have had few issues in the past other than those solved by simple driver updates and the like. In any case, I can provide log files if requested, but I'm simply curious to see if anyone else has had this particular problem and has possibly found a solution.

Thanks,
    -Dragon

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    similar problems I can at least play single player but even that is getting tricky.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, I'm at least glad that I'm not the only one with apparent difficulties, but I certainly hope that someone has a possible solution or workaround...I'd love to be able to play again.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Help is on the way :P

Please use the:
    Starmade System Checker
    I suppose this is due to missing Java-functionalities, but the checker will show.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Help is on the way :p

Please use the:
    Starmade System Checker
    I suppose this is due to missing Java-functionalities, but the checker will show.

- Andy
    I actually had just stumbled upon that and was about to try it out, coincidentally. XD Thanks for the suggestion! ^.=.^ We shall see how this goes, I suppose.

Edit: It didn't really turn up anything that I didn't already know. According to that script, my machine passed, as I assumed...the problem seems to be a little deeper than that particular program delves. Thank you again, though, for the suggestion. :)

Last edited:

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    okay, another try:
    Guess: your system is not supporting ipv6, and you try to connect via ipv6 rather than ipv4

Create a batchfile to start starmade.

Code:
    java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=false -jar StarMade-starter.jar
    Put it in the directory the launcher is in, and download the jar-version of the game.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    okay, another try:
    Guess: your system is not supporting ipv6, and you try to connect via ipv6 rather than ipv4

Create a batchfile to start starmade.

Code:
    java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=false -jar StarMade-starter.jar
    Put it in the directory the launcher is in, and download the jar-version of the game.

- Andy
    Hmmm...I hadn't bothered yet, but good point. I'll give that a swing.

Edit: You sir may well have found the one possibility that I overlooked. Batch files are so handy. XD The launcher at least is working for me now. I'll add another addendum in about ten minutes to note whether or not the game itself now works.

Edit 2: All of my yes!!! I can't even contain my excitement! That was exactly what I needed, I wish that I had thought of it sooner! Everything works stellarly (no pun intended) now! :D Thank you so much for your help! ^.=.^

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I get the same error, but I can't automatically or manually download the game/jar. Automatically just stops, and manually, I get a problem loading page error. Please help

Reaction score
    Hey mind explaining your solution in Laman's terms, i am sorry i am having the same error but i just do not understand the explanation.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Hey mind explaining your solution in Laman's terms, i am sorry i am having the same error but i just do not understand the explanation.
    Your java prefers the IPv6 stack over the IPv4 stack, you need force the game to use the IPv4 protocol.

This is done by creating a batch file, and adding a line to start the game with added option:
    -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

In the end it should look like this:

java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -xms:1024 xmx:2048 -jar StarMade.jar -force

- Andy

Reaction score
    Ya I'm sorry I have put that into a batch file and followed your instructions; however the error is still presents itself three times when the Launcher is opened...

java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -xms:1024 xmx:2048 -jar Starmade.jar -force