Solutons to discourage gigantism?

Reaction score
    Honestly I don't think Starmade supports the building of ANYTHING it is the players and the environment that cause it big or small. To have a sandbox that is about creative freedom and having fun with it at the same time is what I think some people expect from a sandbox game but to then also go and say "NO! You can't have that; because I can't handle it!" is a silly thing to say and try to enforce on the base game. It is like complaining "I can't run the Witcher 3 on max graphical settings with 60 FPS so they must change it or no one can have it!" Ship size limits if there are some should be based upon the server owners and if you don't like what they allow or don't take it up with them. Limiting others based upon what you can and can't do is plain stupid.
    Valid point, except the TC mentioned nothing about limiting sizes for performance purposes ;)
    In the long, long run it won't matter anyway. Thrust changes and the implementation of fleets will more than likely lead to changes in the linear bigger = better mineset as far as gameplay goes

Reaction score
    The way it should be is one on one the bigger ship (assuming it's well designed) should have a serious advantage, not only because of the time spent building the thing but also because of the resources needed in fielding it. That said, without support it should be vulnerable to a fleet of smaller ships, especially when they're well coordinated.

Incidentally, this is currently how I feel it is at the moment. Obviously the game isn't perfectly balanced yet, but that's more for beta then alpha.

Reaction score
    Valid point, except the TC mentioned nothing about limiting sizes for performance purposes ;)
    In the long, long run it won't matter anyway. Thrust changes and the implementation of fleets will more than likely lead to changes in the linear bigger = better mineset as far as gameplay goes

True but that is also a elephant in the room that people have already pointed out and is just as valid of a issue if not more than what they have stated. As for most of what he stated and others I think my statement covers that nicely.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I'm personally in favor of something similar to the way EVE Online handles having such diverse ship sizes. Anything that is heavy enough to damage a big ship is going to be too slow to keep track of a small ship, and anything that can turn/track fast enough to reliably hit small ships isn't going to have the damage output to dent big ships.
    The solution I was originally rooting for was to apply the same mass based turning speed that ships have to turrets and then give thrusters a more logarithmic effect. Unfortunately that doesn't solve the issues of small anti-fighter turrets now sharing half the capital's shielding (making them pretty much invincible to bomber attacks) and tracking missiles everywhere.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    I'm personally in favor of something similar to the way EVE Online handles having such diverse ship sizes. Anything that is heavy enough to damage a big ship is going to be too slow to keep track of a small ship, and anything that can turn/track fast enough to reliably hit small ships isn't going to have the damage output to dent big ships.
    The solution I was originally rooting for was to apply the same mass based turning speed that ships have to turrets and then give thrusters a more logarithmic effect. Unfortunately that doesn't solve the issues of small anti-fighter turrets now sharing half the capital's shielding (making them pretty much invincible to bomber attacks) and tracking missiles everywhere.
    The way to resolve the turret issue is to have turret share a percentage based upon mass in relationship to the ship it is docked to. So small turrets on a large ship will have very little in the way of shields well the main guns or massive turrets will have a much higher shield amount. This would also allow small fighters to have turrets that share shields in fair amounts.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    On the plus side: the small anti-fighter turrets won't instantly frag that small fighter