Solar Reaving

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way.

Why not a dyson sphere? The dyson sphere is hidden in void space, and is very hard to find. After all, it is covering up a star.

The dyson sphere will provide unlimited resources via energy to matter transformation over time. The way to balance this out is multi fold:

It will take a long time to get the resources that you need

It will be infested with very dangerous aliens, that will take months to kill off

once you claim it, EVERY npc faction will come straight for you, to take it away from you.

Heaven help you in a multiplayer server.....

Reaction score
    Interesting idea. It would force the involvement of an entire faction to claim and hold. There would also have to be a line of code preventing the dyson sphere from being set as a Faction Home. What scares me the most about that idea, is the amount of lag it will generate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I make mine of Varat charged circuits. Looks almost real.

I thought about this one myself, mining plasma to be able to build and power aux power modules. I also thought about making shield regenerators fully reliant on mining plasma to fuel them, but I think this might be too difficult for new players, as the only source of regenerators would be shops, and they can't keep a reliable supply. Although I do like the idea of keeping aux power modules for mid to late game players, and the explosion risk.

I don't know how hard the coding would be to remove a star, but after taking some time to think about it, it sounds lag intensive. The percentages sound good, but I personally still like an element of mining to exhaustion. What if it could be implemented, not to remove a star, but to shrink a star and make it cooler as its mined? At a certain point, the trade guild would show up and demand that you cease mining operations or risk a war to prevent the star from imploding.

AMCs are generally the first weapon a player crafts or buys for their ships. I don't really like the idea of giving such a hurdle to early game players. Its the same reason I'm kind of shying away from the idea of plasma powering shield regenerators. However, I do like the idea. What if we take that and apply it to the damage beams instead? Mid to late game players would have to mine deuterium from stars (or mine helium and convert it to deuterium), to create and power deuterium lasers/deuterium torpedoes/hydrogen bombs/etc.
    That is an excellent idea!
    [doublepost=1479491203,1479491037][/doublepost]
    Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way.

Why not a dyson sphere? The dyson sphere is hidden in void space, and is very hard to find. After all, it is covering up a star.

The dyson sphere will provide unlimited resources via energy to matter transformation over time. The way to balance this out is multi fold:

It will take a long time to get the resources that you need

It will be infested with very dangerous aliens, that will take months to kill off

once you claim it, EVERY npc faction will come straight for you, to take it away from you.

Heaven help you in a multiplayer server.....
    It would definitely add a challenge for players to achieve. This dyson sphere would reignite faction wars and give reasons for factions to go to war with each other. From a PVE/PVP perspective, this idea is brilliant!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is an excellent idea!
    [doublepost=1479491203,1479491037][/doublepost]
    It would definitely add a challenge for players to achieve. This dyson sphere would reignite faction wars and give reasons for factions to go to war with each other. From a PVE/PVP perspective, this idea is brilliant!

the other aspect of it will be the unlimited energy. This means you can have defensive turrets capable of destroying a planet with one hit.

The catch: if weapons are on, production will be slowed down or off.

But let me ask you a simple question: why would someone willingly abandon such a treasure? why would someone only make one such a thing?

If the devs can pull it off, then they will have to make sure it is infested with something nasty. Perhaps dangerous robots, alien spiders, alien snakes, alien snakes that spit spiders....

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I suggest.......... fuel!

*DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!*

No, but really, stations that harvest fuel from near stars gets my vote.

Reaction score
    Dyson sphere, huh? Interesting. By the way, a heavily cooled star won't spontaneously implode. In fact, there is no way any human activity on the scale of SM could ever make a dent in a star. The scale necessary to harvest that much hydrogen and helium is beyond anything ever seen in SM, or that ever could be seen (Ship size limits and all).

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dyson sphere, huh? Interesting. By the way, a heavily cooled star won't spontaneously implode. In fact, there is no way any human activity on the scale of SM could ever make a dent in a star. The scale necessary to harvest that much hydrogen and helium is beyond anything ever seen in SM, or that ever could be seen (Ship size limits and all).
    And of course, if you harvested that much gases from a star somehow, it would probably end up lacking the mass to implode, and would more likely gradually fading into a brown dwarf.