Solar Reaving

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The stars of StarMade are very hazardous obstacles that can easily destroy ships with their intense heat. Other than this, there are no other in-game features surrounding them.

Idea: In order to make stars more useful to the player, solar reaving would add salvage utilities to harvest the matter and energy of stars.

Solar reaving would give advanced players and high-end factions more to do with the game. It would expand the supply of crucial materials that the faction has access to and it would potentially add more content to the game.

Reaction score
    Eventually extinguishing the star? That could be problematic from a system standpoint.

Of course, unlimited resources would be as well.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I've always thought that starmade should have a stellar-engineering component. I like the idea of a star being used for direct source material. might be a reason to resurrect cubeatom in a new fashion. I support this.

The end-game I usually found myself doing involved giant wormhole chains and the mass-relocation of asteroids to my faction-home system mining area.
    The mining area housed automated salvaging stations that perpetually mined-out the asteroids within target-area when you bothered to move to the system and load it in, whereupon the asteroids would re spawn x time after you unloaded the sector. one simply went to each station specializing in the type of resource required over in the factory sector. (never finished truly automating that factory for everything) There was a cool side-benefit of any visitors usually taking a tour and loading things in for you on occasion. end result?
    Infinite resources over-time.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm this is a cool idea, you could add a new block too, Heat Shield to protect your ship from the Sun while you are mining it.
    And then once a stars resources are depleted it would turn into a black hole or something....

Reaction score
    I've often thought about setting up hydrogen derricks myself. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what to use the hydrogen for. Ships/stations/reactors don't currently need fuel, nor do we want that aspect added to the game. It would be interesting, though, to end a war by sucking your opponents star dry and watching his fleet get pulled into a black hole. On the other hand, if we had actual solar panels to supplement energy on our ships, stars might become useful that way as well.

Reactions: IG-1000

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to see solar panels on stations
    I've put solar panels on stations before.

I made them out of blue ingot wedges and ran power generators through the support arms.

Bam, solar panels that generate plenty of power.

I don't think we actually need more blocks for what amounts to a flavor option, not when you can already do it with what we have.

Reaction score
    Solar panels for use with small ships (TIE FIGHTER, OH YEAH) that provide VERY limited power curves. So, their soft-cap is very low, where they become less useful than power reactor chains.

Also, star mining could be used for some form of rare material used to create, for example, aux power blocks. You must mine a star (must them not be too difficult to start mining it) to build efficient bigger ships.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Elite use to have a fuel scoop that allowed you to scoop the sun to refuel your hyperdrive. Perhaps if they engineer fuel into the game it could be a plasma based fuel that requires processing or refinement of some kind. And a fuel scoop or similar could be used to harvest plasma and any other material directly from star, depending on the star type.

Would be cool to be able to convert or collapse a star into a singularity or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To prevent the issues presented by actually removing a star from a system, perhaps a star's resources would have a richness percentage? A big bright blue star might have 90%, a boring yellow might have 50%, and an angry red might have 10%. A higher percentage grants a higher mining effeciency, producing more resources. If blue stars were few and far between, it might be a good incentive for factions to wage war over them. Or a star's percentage drops as it is mined (maybe with a slow regeneration rate if it's depleted?), encouraging people to move around instead of camping a rich system. Personally I like the prospect of stars only being harvestable by stations, which would give people a good reason to build outposts and production facilities outside their home system.

Reaction score
    I love this idea but as a fuel source (I know "eww fuel" but hear me out)

Instead of aux power use star mined fuel as a mega power boost. You still use all the same power as before but turning on your fuel generators you consume fuel from a linked cargo in exchange for a huge boost to power gen temporarily. This way aux actually costs something and this gives it a reason to explode when hit...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm you know I was just thinking, instead of having Either Power generation as it is now or Fuel Power Generation, why not have both?

You could use the Fuel one as a more advanced method of Power Generation which generates more power than what you get the normal way, make it like Cold Fusion or Plasma or something

Reaction score
    Just make larger, hotter stars more valuable. There are relatively few blue supergiants out there, so they will be sought out.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't mind fuel if it's an enhancement thing for just "civilian" or "utility" systems on the core entity (FTL going twice as far, 50% higher power reactor softcap, double mass enhancement).

Reactions: DrTarDIS
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Perhaps after reaving a star of its energy, the user would be able to use it as a weapon of mass destruction. It would be similar to Starkiller Base.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Perhaps after reaving a star of its energy, the user would be able to use it as a weapon of mass destruction. It would be similar to Starkiller Base.
    Don't bring up Death Star 3. Just don't. They already made two of them in the original trilogy, all we needed was another. Seriously, they added another SD to the game, they should've taken a leaf out of the X-Wing series's books and made that the massive threat to the "Resistance" (Rebellion, cough coughety cough). They were flying a couple dozen X-Wings, could've easily been done.

On the subject of solar reaving ... yeah, it shouldn't affect primary weapons, unless it generally affects the core power systems. And NO, it should NOT be a WMD. You can make one if you just spend the time to do so.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think we can all agree that Disney can take their so called "New Canon" and shove it where the sun don't shine....

On another note, Thread Hijack Successful (y):^D:cool:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Don't bring up Death Star 3. Just don't. They already made two of them in the original trilogy, all we needed was another. Seriously, they added another SD to the game, they should've taken a leaf out of the X-Wing series's books and made that the massive threat to the "Resistance" (Rebellion, cough coughety cough). They were flying a couple dozen X-Wings, could've easily been done.

On the subject of solar reaving ... yeah, it shouldn't affect primary weapons, unless it generally affects the core power systems. And NO, it should NOT be a WMD. You can make one if you just spend the time to do so.
    Just imagine how much power this weapon would have though. You are obtaining the power of a star. Also, do you really think that the developers would put a complex technology like this in your average galactic shop? They could incorporate this technology into the NPC faction system.
    (By the way, I don't agree with the copying, pasting, and editing that Disney is doing to the Star Wars franchise. I only used Starkiller Base as an example.)

Reactions: IG-1000

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Just imagine how much power this weapon would have though. You are obtaining the power of a star. Also, do you really think that the developers would put a complex technology like this in your average galactic shop? They could incorporate this technology into the NPC faction system.
    (By the way, I don't agree with the copying, pasting, and editing that Disney is doing to the Star Wars franchise. I only used Starkiller Base as an example.)
    MMM, using a star as a source of "antimatter" for the "antimatter cannons" and such. All weapons now need ammo. Ammo only comes from stars. Farm the burny or no pew pew for you. I like it.

Reaction score
    I made them out of blue ingot wedges and ran power generators through the support arms.
    I make mine of Varat charged circuits. Looks almost real.

Also, star mining could be used for some form of rare material used to create, for example, aux power blocks.
    Instead of aux power use star mined fuel as a mega power boost. You still use all the same power as before but turning on your fuel generators you consume fuel from a linked cargo in exchange for a huge boost to power gen temporarily. This way aux actually costs something and this gives it a reason to explode when hit...
    I thought about this one myself, mining plasma to be able to build and power aux power modules. I also thought about making shield regenerators fully reliant on mining plasma to fuel them, but I think this might be too difficult for new players, as the only source of regenerators would be shops, and they can't keep a reliable supply. Although I do like the idea of keeping aux power modules for mid to late game players, and the explosion risk.

To prevent the issues presented by actually removing a star from a system, perhaps a star's resources would have a richness percentage?
    I don't know how hard the coding would be to remove a star, but after taking some time to think about it, it sounds lag intensive. The percentages sound good, but I personally still like an element of mining to exhaustion. What if it could be implemented, not to remove a star, but to shrink a star and make it cooler as its mined? At a certain point, the trade guild would show up and demand that you cease mining operations or risk a war to prevent the star from imploding.

MMM, using a star as a source of "antimatter" for the "antimatter cannons" and such. All weapons now need ammo. Ammo only comes from stars. Farm the burny or no pew pew for you. I like it.
    AMCs are generally the first weapon a player crafts or buys for their ships. I don't really like the idea of giving such a hurdle to early game players. Its the same reason I'm kind of shying away from the idea of plasma powering shield regenerators. However, I do like the idea. What if we take that and apply it to the damage beams instead? Mid to late game players would have to mine deuterium from stars (or mine helium and convert it to deuterium), to create and power deuterium lasers/deuterium torpedoes/hydrogen bombs/etc.