So there are still people playing Starmade...

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    I occasionally dump a new character with no blocks on a planet in a no-shops universe and make a terrible base and an awful starter craft.

Reactions: Reven_Arc
    Reaction score
    just gonna chime in here. Really should be starting to play again. altough I can´t really continue to work on my main ship as long as reactor stabilizers and the whole power system are messed up. guess I should work on some smaller stuff in the meantime.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ... altough I can´t really continue to work on my main ship as long as reactor stabilizers and the whole power system are messed up.
    ... please define "the whole power system are messed up"?

... if ask me new power 2.0 system is "ok" (although i also enjoyed the old system 1.0*).
    Personally: I don't like the new arbitrary-system-mass from QF-Config, or the power-generation-per-block (100-default) leading to Gigantismus = Server-Lag.

I will have to say that the removal of the stabilizer-distance-penalty was a good move!

Apologies for "off-topic"... but not much else going on here...

Reaction score

... if ask me new power 2.0 system is "ok" (although i also enjoyed the old system 1.0*).
    Personally: I don't like the new arbitrary-system-mass from QF-Config, or the power-generation-per-block (100-default) leading to Gigantismus = Server-Lag.

I will have to say that the removal of the stabilizer-distance-penalty was a good move!

[/QUOTE]

Well, the stabilizer distance missing is exactly what´s messed up, without it stabilizers don´t work in their intended role at all!
    I honestly loved power 2.0 in it´s original iteration, and I don´t really know why it got so much hate.

Realistically, if there are further changes to the game, reactors will get yet another overhaul, or stabilizer distance will be reintroduced in some form or another. This poses some obvius problems for futureproofing my desing. The compounding issue is that I am trying to build with a lot of negative space and few false facades, so it´s not like I could easily stick a new reactor in the existing hull once it is completed.

I guess I shouldn´t stress out too much, after all it currently looks like this game is going nowhere in a hurry. Still, with how little free time I have and the quality standarts that I set myself I am measuring the estimated build time in years, and a lot can happen in that time.

Reactions: Tsnonak
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Power 2.0 was fun for a little bit, but I have to second Tsnonak. I remember trying to introduce new people to the game around that time. They started the game with visions of building cool ships, but got so bogged down with the ship development process that they became discouraged before getting to try out their new designs. I just didn't see Power 2.0 helping the game get more players.

Although the stabilizers are being used differently, I still think they fulfill their original purpose. In my opinion, they were just meant to add extra challenge to the game. In Power 2.0, that challenge was a little much. In Power 3.0 though, the challenge they add is more friendly. They serve as an extra element to consider when balancing your mass/power/thrust ratios. This lower level of challenge has personally helped me fit more functionality within less volume.

You're right that the game isn't going anywhere in a hurry. Perhaps there will be another update to the power system. Until then though, I hope to enjoy what we have.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ~~~Day 617: It's almost been 2 years since the last build release... I don't know if I can hold on much longer... But the hours? I have so many. ~~~

Pain.

Reaction score
    Power 2.0 was fun for a little bit, but I have to second Tsnonak. I remember trying to introduce new people to the game around that time. They started the game with visions of building cool ships, but got so bogged down with the ship development process that they became discouraged before getting to try out their new designs. I just didn't see Power 2.0 helping the game get more players.

Although the stabilizers are being used differently, I still think they fulfill their original purpose. In my opinion, they were just meant to add extra challenge to the game. In Power 2.0, that challenge was a little much. In Power 3.0 though, the challenge they add is more friendly. They serve as an extra element to consider when balancing your mass/power/thrust ratios. This lower level of challenge has personally helped me fit more functionality within less volume.

You're right that the game isn't going anywhere in a hurry. Perhaps there will be another update to the power system. Until then though, I hope to enjoy what we have.
    uhh no, really stabilizers were meant to free up space inside the ship so you could build combat effective vessels that weren´t just bricks filled to the brim with stuff. Honestly I thought 2.0 was fine in terms of complexity, but I can understand that new players may have struggled.

I really dislike 3.0 though. It kinda reverts the game back to "just fill your ship with as much stuff as possible", but in a really dumbed-down way.
    You can say about original power what you want, but you have to admit that it had a nice learning curve and skill depth in how to get the maximum amount of volume efficiency out of the reactor pieces in your ship.
    2.0 had a lot of creative freedom going for it, and it gave worldbuilding and design focused creators like me almost unlimited possibilities.
    3.0 on the other hand... All you do is putting a huge brick of power modules inside your ship. There is neither technical skill depth nor room for creativity.

Honestly, If we don´t go back to 2.0 I´d rather yoink stabilizers out of the game and go back to the volume based mechanics of the olden days, while keeping new features such as power consumption and maybe chambers.

Reaction score
    I really enjoy the simplicity of this game. I got it over two years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. It’s a shame development has gotten to this point. Hoping to see these forums more lively in the future 🙏

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ... if I understand correctly (which of course maybe I don't*), a new build is coming soon with the modloader... (i.e. v202.87 + modloader)...
    more info sure would be nice!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yep, still here
    aww man *hug*

hello gamers I too am still here... totally!
    one day i'll get around to learning power 2.0 and i'll make an effective ship... haha...

Good to see some of the old people pop in here : D
    Well we do not really,just you know... and i doubt you will built something decent with power 2.0... justforthat is what made everyone abandon the game. i really enjoyed the limits of power1.0. really liked some idea aspects of 2.0 when announced but then they just ruined everything

Without a doubt... great game!
    I too have enjoyed the " solidarity " of endless space!
    oh yeah good times

just gonna chime in here. Really should be starting to play again. altough I can´t really continue to work on my main ship as long as reactor stabilizers and the whole power system are messed up. guess I should work on some smaller stuff in the meantime.
    why would you want to start again? as long as the game in consequence of the power system still is messed up. nawww not worth it because if changes would be coming your work would again be pointless.

lil starmade history recap: when introduced starmade had a powersystem based on a great algorythm / formula that would allow you to cap out power of a unit at around 2million/second. there was a sweetspot though which would allow you to get around 70% of that with about half the mass of blocks... which made creating and optimizing ships real fun for the tinkerers. smaller ships would require so few reactor to operate thus making them very agile and bigger stuff would just constantly seek for working around the limitations... remember 2million per unit that could also be an AI operated turret...
    Only issue was that creativity was not as much supported by that system as the urge for pure efficiency... so the "designers" always kept complaining about the powergamers blabla... often big time drama...
    So the devs went like how about we do different and force people to expand ship and to better fill space in between with creative work...
    thus the power stick was born, stabilizer on one side generators on the other and still not enough power to pew pew with... thus power borked and game dead

did i miss something essential? please feel free to correct me that was a long time ago...

i would have suggested to make the curve of 1.0 even a bit more dramatic... keeping smaller ships way more viable yes you could go up to 2 million but at what cost and that would have given nice ships more room. like all neat turrets and such... maybe introduce a new mechanic to limit support for docked stuff... so people could not endlessly put in generators transering power to the main ship or wuld have at least have to balance how much power the turret would recieve and how much power could be transfered to the main ship smth. along those lines... aww man i miss that time...
    it was a great community a bit toxic at times but who says you have to get along with everyone...

Love you all!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, the stabilizer distance missing is exactly what´s messed up, without it stabilizers don´t work in their intended role at all!
    I honestly loved power 2.0 in it´s original iteration, and I don´t really know why it got so much hate.
    It got "hate" because it didn't work. Stabilizer distance was supposed to control reactor and system size for all ships, but somewhere along the line, Schine forgot that we build our own hulls. People who wanted more systems just built tall hulls that are optimized for the stabilizer mechanic, which rendered it essentially redundant. "Normal" ships were worse than these ugly optimized ones, so in effect it just limited creativity.

Reaction score
    It got "hate" because it didn't work. Stabilizer distance was supposed to control reactor and system size for all ships, but somewhere along the line, Schine forgot that we build our own hulls. People who wanted more systems just built tall hulls that are optimized for the stabilizer mechanic, which rendered it essentially redundant. "Normal" ships were worse than these ugly optimized ones, so in effect it just limited creativity.
    Something like that was bound to happen regardless though. People will always find a way to cheese the system, but with 2.0 the difference between tryhards and the average joe was way less severe than before or after.

Reaction score
    Drakkart well I can crank out some purely cosmetic ships in the meantime, got some cool ideas too. I´ve just had that starmade itch for a while now and no other game can satiate it.

Sending some love back!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Something like that was bound to happen regardless though. People will always find a way to cheese the system, but with 2.0 the difference between tryhards and the average joe was way less severe than before or after.
    Functionally it did the opposite. Previously, the only difference between "tryhards" and normal players' ships was systems design and maybe some trickery like docked hulls to avoid stop effect beams and suchlike; with the original power 2.0 you would have to build like they do or be stuck with an excessively heavy, mostly-hollow hull that turns far more slowly than their ship because of how boxdims define rotation rate.

Reaction score
    Functionally it did the opposite. Previously, the only difference between "tryhards" and normal players' ships was systems design and maybe some trickery like docked hulls to avoid stop effect beams and suchlike; with the original power 2.0 you would have to build like they do or be stuck with an excessively heavy, mostly-hollow hull that turns far more slowly than their ship because of how boxdims define rotation rate.
    Ok, I´ve done some research and found Latterouss Spaghetti Monster. Shift was broken for sure. But most of these exploits (correct me if I'm wrong) were the result of the ultra buggy Integrity and reactor HP systems, not the new reactors or stabilizers.

Also, for the majority of the playerbase (which was still building normally) power 2.0 definately meant an improvement in power parity. You seem to have forgotten that the optimal ship in the old system was best described by the words "solid brick"

Last edited:

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    It's been a while but in my opinion the box dims optimization of 2.0 encouraged brick shapes far more than spagget power (which optimized to an octahedron). If "solid brick" is instead talking about packing every corner with system blocks, that wasn't really optimal either due to missiles. Eg. spaced armor.
    Power 2.0's main feature was to dumb down the spagget power system so people could easily build reproductions of sci-fi craft without having to plan ahead or comprimise on systems due to the limitations the sci-fi hull shape caused. IMO of course.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Power and weapons 2.0 felt like a testbed, not intentionally finished product that was meant to help fill out a final product, which power 3.0 feels more like. No more stupid spaghetti power, stabilizers work out better without distance restrictions (or very small ones), the anti-spaghetti mechanic didn't work out well, so its been config'd out. But that's how development rolls, and frankly what worried me more wasn't the updates with features and mechanics that don't work out in the end, which are to be expected, but the huge negative, hostile reaction people had to it. Everybody just throws a collective tantrum and ditches because they didn't like a dev update? Wtf? But that's what you expect from yogscast fans, they do have a very young, temperamental, hard-to-please demographic.

Reactions: Reven_Arc
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    power 3.0
    what is power 3.0?
    as far as I can tell we're still running on power 2.0 with some alterations (can't find power 3.0 anywhere beside a poll)?

Yogscast... didn't even realise they did Starmade... they gone longtime...
    on another note MushroomFleet is back!

Last edited:

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Can we collectively agree to just drop the whole power 1.0 2.0 QF debate (at least for this thread)? It's clear people will never agree on it and frankly I'm getting tired of the constant arguing about it.

... if I understand correctly (which of course maybe I don't*), a new build is coming soon with the modloader... (i.e. v202.87 + modloader)...
    more info sure would be nice!
    You actually can play the latest dev build (v0.202.127 as of this posting) and mess around with mods yourself. The StarLoader team has been working hard (iirc its been over a year and a half) on the modding tools and we can now expect a full release build (as in an update for StarMade itself) with the mod integration this weekend. We have also been working to fix various bugs, especially ones related to systems. For example, there was an armor beam tick bug that caused beams to sometimes do way more ticks of damage to armor than they should resulting in beams occasionally melting armor completely. Some of the shortcomings of QF (but not all) were caused by internal game bugs that have now been mostly fixed.

~~~Day 617: It's almost been 2 years since the last build release... I don't know if I can hold on much longer... But the hours? I have so many. ~~~

Pain.
    As stated above, expect an actual full update soon with lots of bug fixes and modding support this weekend.

As for our plans after the mod loader, a few of us have been looking into finishing some game features (such as fleets) either through modding, or (with Schine's approval) through actual updates / contributions to the game. Expect more information about this at a later date.

The game is far from abandoned, and through modding and contributions we can turn it into a full and complete experience.

If anyone here is interested in modding and what we're doing, I highly encourage you to Join the StarLoader Community Server Discord Server!