.SMEC: Does StarMade use these files still?

Reaction score
    Hello, new player here! I've looked around and there's limited documentation on the .smec file. As I understand it, there's a way to import and load an entire sector, however I'm not sure if there's a directory for .smec in StarMade anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

I found a shipyard in the Content section, but it is a shipyard and a whole sector in a .smec. I'd like to load this into my single player game and learn how to use blueprints, shipyards, stations, etc.

If anyone knows how to go about this in the current build, please let me know.

Thanks!

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Yes, they are still in use.

Format and file extension:
    smsec - StarMade Sector

The smsec files have to be placed in:
    Starmade\sector-export
    Then can be loaded by ingame console via the
    /import_sector
    command.

- Andy

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If you want to play with blueprints, you can download almost anything from here to play with. The blueprint file is a .sment file. It's actually a zip file with a catalog folder structure for the particular structure. If you want to take a look inside to see how it's put together, just rename the file and add the extension .zip.

In single player mode you are an admin by default. So you can spawn anything you want out of the station and ship blueprints without having to load a sector. You can also spawn more than one station in the same sector, although this can be very laggy even on the local machine. So caution is advised.

To spawn from the catalog just use the admin load button.

To use the .sment files, there's a number of different tutorials on YouTube. I did a quick search and found this old video.
    Note, this video uses the old launcher. The new launcher has a button for the tools before you load the single player world or enter an online session.

AndyP perhaps Chris could build a tutorial for this. Sorry if it already exists, since I don't watch the tutorials.

Reactions: AndyP
    Reaction score
    Thank you both, AndyP and Lone_Puppy . I was able to load the .smsec file into my single player server, I also downloaded some ships and stations via .sment files. Now to learn how everything works together. I'm attacking the shipyard first, seems like a good place to start.