Shield penetration, armor relevance and system damage

Reaction score
    I do apologize for that, you are right. It does get tedious dealing with piercing weapons. The restore to blueprint function is a good idea as long as the needed blocks are in the inventory at the time. as for shields being down, the treshhold for rp could be set wherever you like.
    I do have an interesting idea. what if the hulls and shields were combined into a single block? a hull with the following properties.

Health#
    Hardness%
    ShieldCapacitor#
    ShieldGenerator#
    DamageReflection%/-%
    DamageRefractionToNeighborHulls%

This would allow a far greater veriety and strategy in dealing with hull mechanics/defences

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You have 24 bit information per block.
    1 bit = yes or no
    1 bit = true or false
    1 bit = on or off
    2 bit = 0, 1, 2, 3
    3 bits = 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7​

Each block TYPE however can hold more information. 1024 bits (= 128 bytes = 32 ints) are not a problem there.

If a block just adds to the sum if it is there, no problem (just the work to implement this and the lag on block addition/removal)
    If a block has it's unique value, it costs memory.

Thus:
    Ship summary
    Current power usage
    Current shield capacity
    Array Instance (stored in meta-data, not transferred to graphic card)
    active?
    powerDrain
    linked to which blocks?
    Block definition
    Armour
    Shield capacity
    Block Instance (uses Block definition, transferred to Graphic card)
    10 bit = 1024 choices : which definition is it?
    8 bit = 256 hp
    5 bit = 31 orientation choices : 6*5 = 30 possible choices for a wedge (6 choices primary side, 5 secondary).
    1 bit = logic​
    For computers you would only need 3 bit (8 choices) orientation, for hull and logic elements not even 1 bit if you don't have it rotatable.​

Health# -> Block instance (we already have that, but will get modified with the new hp system)
    Hardness% -> Block definition (we have that)
    ShieldCapacitor# -> Block definition (dunno if it is implemented that multiple block TYPEs can do that)
    EXCEPT you want shield per block (sry, not possible as hp is already difficult per block)
    ShieldGenerator# -> Block definition (dunno if it is implemented that multiple block TYPEs can do that)
    DamageReflection%/-% -> Block definition
    DamageRefractionToNeighborHulls% -> Block definition

I hope that answers all you want to know

Reaction score
    ShieldCapacitor# -> Block definition (dunno if it is implemented that multiple block TYPEs can do that)
    EXCEPT you want shield per block (sry, not possible as hp is already difficult per block)
    actually I was just thinking shield capacitor and shield generator functions should work the same as they do now, not per block.

The info you provided has proven most enlightening, thank you :)

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    No per-block function would make it kind of pointless, not? At the very least the recharger functionality should remain separate, because a) there's a reason it was separated from the capacity block in the first place and b) or ship interiors would feel just a bit too homogenous if they were only guns and generators.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This information about block-definition, block-instances, meta-data.

If peoples are better informed it could take a bit of pain in the forums away. (pain= users which interrupt thread flow because they haven't learned enough jet).
    Just provide a link in most OPs then and the forum is kept a bit cleaner because users get aware of how it's done :)

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Indeed. Just look at what it did to this discussion...

Reaction score
    As for separating shield gen/cap they ARE two different values, just make different hulls with different value sets. adding tech info to the wiki would be a good idea, a sort of starmade tech 101 tab. this would help people who know something about programming to fine tune their ideas, especially working within the restrictions of the current/future structures. helps weed out impossibilities. as for the interior, there really needs to be incentive to add more than just ship parts. perhaps add crew requirements in order to get an automated crew for manning the ship.

PS. iv been looking over the mechanics I know and it seams that the server simply counts the number of shield generators/capacitors and plugs the number into the formula. to do as i proposed a whole new set of tables would have to be formed to add all the different values of the hulls together in order to calculate the final result. i see that would require quite a bit of work. Nothing is ever as simple as it first appears is it?

Last edited:

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seeing as this was mostly agreed with, and we've just received this fancy new rating system, I will take the liberty of bumping this thread. It's addmittedly half a year old, but the aspects of the game it discusses haven't changed much.